Velocity rims

Old April 17th 08, 04:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Velocity rims

Velocity rims - Are they any good?

Thanks,
sam
Old April 17th 08, 04:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 17, 1:07 pm, wrote:
Velocity rims - Are they any good?

Thanks,
sam

Who's asking, and why?
Old April 17th 08, 05:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob.

wrote:

Velocity rims - Are they any good?

Thanks,
sam

They fell apart on the MTB I would not use them again. I use Mavic.
Old April 17th 08, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

wrote in message
Velocity rims - Are they any good?

The factory's just around the corner from me so being a local product they
must be good. All the hipsters can't get enough of the Deep V's so they've
got street cred too!

I have a 26" rear one with a 8 spd cassette hub that I've never used if you
want to make me an offer. It owes me about $120.00. I originally bought it
because I kept blowing Shimano freehubs but the manufacturer has since
upgraded that part for me and it's been fine since. I also broke the
velocity hub and they replaced the whole wheel but I've never had a need to
use it since the Shimano one has been holding up. Now I ride single speed
anyway.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old April 17th 08, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Apr 17, 2:32 pm, "OzCableguy" wrote:
wrote in message

Velocity rims - Are they any good?

The factory's just around the corner from me so being a local product they
must be good.

Although for some inexplicable reason.. they're very hard to find
locally at a reasonable price. A shed-load cheaper in the US...

Which is why I didn't bother buying one when I made a rear wheel
recently, even though I went to the LBS specifically looking for one
of their aeroheads.

duncan
Old April 17th 08, 08:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

wrote in message

Velocity rims - Are they any good?

The factory's just around the corner from me so being a local product they
must be good.

Although for some inexplicable reason.. they're very hard to find
locally at a reasonable price. A shed-load cheaper in the US...

Which is why I didn't bother buying one when I made a rear wheel
recently, even though I went to the LBS specifically looking for one
of their aeroheads.

duncan

I was quoted $115 for a locally made Velocity rim. The same rim is in
the US for USD$49 - with freight it is about the same - go figure.

BTW the OP seems to be a troll.

Donga
Old April 17th 08, 10:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob.

OzCableguy wrote:
"Rob." . wrote in message

They fell apart on the MTB I would not use them again. I use Mavic.

From
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008...y-leaping.html

Mavic: "Our Wheels Explode! Boom!"

http://bp0.blogger.com/_urSQl6wUA5g/...s1600-h/14.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/...b03370.jpg?v=0

or in tinyurl format:

http://tinyurl.com/3atk3u
http://tinyurl.com/6qc4yf

;-)

This is well and good but the velocity rims that were on my MTB broke -
due to poor design. Note rims and not spokes. Also I think there too heavy.
Old April 17th 08, 12:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Rob. wrote:

This is well and good but the velocity rims that were on my MTB broke -
due to poor design. Note rims and not spokes. Also I think there too
heavy.

I own three sets of Velocity rims.

I have a set of HEAVY DUTY Dyad rims on my touring bike. Yes they are
heavy. They are the right rims for laden touring, and I wouldn't
hesitate to ride off a cliff with them. Never broken a spoke. Never had
to true them since my brother built them six years ago.

I have a pair of Deep V in 700C which are my every day rims on the
touring bike when I don't have panniers and all that weight or when I
know it is going to be smooth bitumen. Probably true them a little every
couple of years. Never broken a spoke. I built these around nine years ago.

I have a pair of Deep V in 26" on my hardtail which have taken a heap of
punishment since I built them (over 10 years) without breaking a spoke.
Very strong wheels without too much weight.

YMMV.

F/S: Velocity 650 Rims Mariano pacini Marketplace 0 October 21st 05 12:25 PM
FS: mtb Velocity rims Phil Marketplace 0 July 10th 04 01:07 AM
WTT: Mavic Reflex rims for Velocity Escape rims Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 December 24th 03 03:28 AM
Velocity K-525 Rims PJ Techniques 0 December 15th 03 09:27 PM
WTT: Mavic Reflex rims for Velocity Escape rims Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 December 10th 03 01:08 PM