No brakes, no lights, drunk and mows down a pedestrian on a crossing and just gets a slap on the wrist.

Old July 30th 11, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default No brakes, no lights, drunk and mows down a pedestrian on a crossing and just gets a slap on the wrist.

I hope his insurance has paid out compo. to the victim (who also lost her
job as a result of the crash)

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...man___s_skull/

Old July 30th 11, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 30/07/2011 22:53, Mrcheerful wrote:

I hope his insurance has paid out compo. to the victim (who also lost her
job as a result of the crash)

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...man___s_skull/

She'll be OK - his home contents insurance will see her fixed up..

QUOTE:
James Reason, 35, of ... Warminster ... was more than three-and-a-half times
the drink-drive limit.
... Cassandra Robbins, 21, was walking home with a friend at 4am ... it was
raining quite heavily and dark although there was street lighting at the end
of Fore Street in Warminster.
Miss Robbins ... stepped on to the zebra crossing, which is at the bottom of
a hill, when she was hit by the bike. She was knocked unconscious and had
blood coming from her ear.
When the police arrived Reason told them ‘I know I have got no lights, I have
had a couple of drinks. I came down the hill and I didn’t see her’.
.... Miss Robbins was taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath and then
transferred to the neurological unit at Frenchay. She spent two nights in
intensive care and as a result of the injury lost her job as supply staff as
a nursery nurse.

Reason pleaded guilty to actual bodily harm.

James Bruce, defending, said after the accident, his client had done did all
he could to help the woman, taking his jacket off to keep her warm and
talking to her to try to keep her conscious.
ENDQUOTE

What do you reckon he said to try to comfort her?

Perhaps it went something like:

"Stay with us, Cassandra... you're my besht mate, you are.

aside "How did this happen? I meantersay, I ride *much* better after seven
or eight pints... And this cyclist I know from up Hull way, he assured me
that *he* does as well... so it can't be *my* fault, cannit? Narmean?
Old July 30th 11, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar[_3_]

On 30/07/2011 22:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
I hope his insurance has paid out compo. to the victim (who also lost her
job as a result of the crash)

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...man___s_skull/

No brakes, no lights, drunk, mows down a pedestrian on a crossing and
just gets a slap on the wrist? That's absolutely terrible! The driver
should get 25 years in jail, a £1m fine and a lifetime ban on even being
in a car.

Hang on, it was a cyclist and not a driver? Oh well, that's completely
different then. Even a slap on the wrist is too much; they shouldn't
even have been charged. Think of how much the poor guy's life will be
turned upside down now just because some idiot pedestrian got in the way
on a crossing.

You see, when a driver commits an offence then they have to be very
severely, disproportionately punished for it; when a cyclist commits
that exact same offence then they have to be very lightly punished, if
at all. This is to reflect the fact that drivers shouldn't be selfishly
driving a ton of metal around, and so need punishing for that alone,
while cyclists are morally superior and saving the planet, and so should
be rewarded.

(Just saying what certain people are thinking...you can be sure that
there will be a general lack of condemnation of this cyclist from
certain quarters, whereas if it had been a driver who had done the exact
same thing, then "they" would be all over him.... But who is "they",
other than Chapman and Doug (the obvious ones)? We'll have to see who
does condemn the cyclist....)
Old July 31st 11, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/07/2011 22:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
I hope his insurance has paid out compo. to the victim (who also lost her
job as a result of the crash)

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...man___s_skull/

yet another case where registration would have prevented the cyclist
from being a serial law breaker.

University