GPS Recommendations

Old August 8th 05, 06:04 PM
Jason Settles

Default GPS Recommendations

Does anyone use a GPS while cycling?

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for usage.
I would like something small that will upload/download to a computer.
Something that will also track altitude and/or grade changes will riding.

I have experience with a Garmin III Plus as well as considerable software
background so I am open to high tech suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
*Jason. in Indy

Old August 8th 05, 06:49 PM

off to the outback??
and add google maps off course!
groove on the free lat long pointer
now transfurring directly into the google search box!

search tech archives to- OT - Topo map online source?

Old August 8th 05, 06:53 PM
Ted

I can recommend against one model, the Garmin etrek Vista. It has 24
meg of memory and and upload maps of sections of the USA which is all
very nice. You can download track logs of your routes which is also
nice. The problem with the unit is that if you leave it on while you
ride it will turn its self off. I think the problem has to do with the
batteries losing contact when you hit bumps. I asked Garmin about this
problem and they said it was designed for alkaline batteries and that
rechargeable batteries weren't the same physical dimensions. I tried
the alkalines but they had the same problem. I haven't found any
solution.

Ted

Old August 8th 05, 07:04 PM
peter

I would like something small that will upload/download to a computer.
Something that will also track altitude and/or grade changes will riding.

I've been using a Garmin eMap instead of a cyclometer for over five
years. For the best altitude profiles I'd recommend one of the Garmins
that includes a pressure sensor. AFAIK, Garmin is the only
manufacturer that combines the best attributes of GPS measurement and
pressure measurement to determine the altitude. Basically GPS has
almost no longterm bias but isn't very stable and is subject to
reception problems whereas the pressure is subject to longterm weather
changes but is accurate and stable in the shortterm. So the Garmin
models like the VistaC use the longterm averaged difference between the
GPS and pressure sensor to automatically recalibrate the pressure
reading to correct for weather changes. Other makes with pressure
sensors (like Magellan) just use the data separately and don't provide
this automatic calibration feature.

The VistaC would be a good choice for cycling - its antenna is oriented
for best performance when nearly horizontal like it would be on the
handlebar mount and it includes the pressure sensor and shows you the
ride profile and data like cumulative climb directly on the screen as
well as showing it on your PC. The CitySelect-NA version 7 map
software would be good to get with it so you'd have accurate street
maps including residential streets and almost all rural roads (the
included basemap only shows main roads and highways).

Old August 8th 05, 07:56 PM
Yabba

On 8 Aug 2005 10:53:34 -0700, "Ted" wrote:

I can recommend against one model, the Garmin etrek Vista. It has 24
meg of memory and and upload maps of sections of the USA which is all
very nice. You can download track logs of your routes which is also
nice. The problem with the unit is that if you leave it on while you
ride it will turn its self off. I think the problem has to do with the
batteries losing contact when you hit bumps. I asked Garmin about this
problem and they said it was designed for alkaline batteries and that
rechargeable batteries weren't the same physical dimensions. I tried
the alkalines but they had the same problem. I haven't found any
solution.

I won't say that this is not a frustrating aspect of the Vista, but I
have had success by placing a pad inside the case of foam-rubber or
that springy packing-bag stuff that seems to come around most things.
This isn't bubble wrap, but a layer of padding that holds the
batteries very snugly inside the compartment. I have used all types of
standard and rechargeable batteries with this addition and have had no
problems. I had to make a small slit in the padding to allow the
locking mechanism to pass through it.

My major problem was with the Garmin Handlebar mount; the abuse that
the unit took when hard-mounted to the bike was too much for one unit
(Garmin repaired it for free), but now I just slip my GPS into a
jersey pocket, and it is pretty safe and works accurately there. Not
much use for on-the-fly mapping, but I only use it for recording new
routes (and finding my way home afterwards) and also for calibrating
my cyclo-computers (distance).
Old August 8th 05, 08:55 PM
Pete Rissler

The VistaC would be a good choice for cycling - its antenna is oriented
for best performance when nearly horizontal like it would be on the
handlebar mount and it includes the pressure sensor and shows you the
ride profile and data like cumulative climb directly on the screen as
well as showing it on your PC. The CitySelect-NA version 7 map
software would be good to get with it so you'd have accurate street
maps including residential streets and almost all rural roads (the
included basemap only shows main roads and highways).

Second the Vista C. Much better satellite reception, faster performance,
and longer battery life than the original Vista.
--
Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

Old August 8th 05, 09:17 PM
Bob Wheeler

Jason Settles wrote:
Does anyone use a GPS while cycling?

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for usage.
I would like something small that will upload/download to a computer.
Something that will also track altitude and/or grade changes will riding.

I have experience with a Garmin III Plus as well as considerable software
background so I am open to high tech suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
*Jason. in Indy

I have a GPSmap 60CS. It is very nice -- good electronics and seemingly
impervious to vibration and rain. The mount for it is solid. It will
track and graph altitude changes, but will not give you %grade. Glide
ratio is available in the form 20:1, which reads 1 unit fall for 20
units horizontal, but it won't tell you the uphill ratio.

The software seems to be well written. I haven't as yet found any bugs.
The maps (mapsource) that you must buy separately (United States TOPO)
are marginal at best: they are old, with lots of missing detail and full
of errors. It took quite some effort for me to find out that this was
the set of maps I needed -- both the manual and on-line information are
confusing.

The manuals are marginal too. I have had to call them twice in order to
learn things not stated in the manuals, one of which was that tracking
needs to be ON in order to see an elevation plot. It's a half hour hold
on the phone and the technicians are not necessarily on top of things.

In spite of it all, I think the product is worth the price, and I find
it useful.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old August 8th 05, 09:25 PM
Andrew W

Jason Settles wrote:
Does anyone use a GPS while cycling?

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for usage.
I would like something small that will upload/download to a computer.
Something that will also track altitude and/or grade changes will riding.

I have experience with a Garmin III Plus as well as considerable software
background so I am open to high tech suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
*Jason. in Indy

I use a Garmin e-trex legend. You would need a model higher in the
range to do altitude (e.g Summit).

The handlebar mount is excellent - secure and easy to transfer from one
bike to another. Weather proofing is excellent.

I use Ordnance Survey mapping (using TrackLogs digital mapping
software) to plan routes (in UK) as the Garmin mapping (Map Source)
lacks off-road paths and topographic information. I then download
these to the GPS to give a scrolling map of the route.

The other useful feature is the ETA, making sure you know how hard to
pedal to get to the station on time or home for lunch etc.

Andrew

Old August 8th 05, 09:28 PM
Steve B.

"Jason Settles" wrote in message .
Does anyone use a GPS while cycling?

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for usage.
I would like something small that will upload/download to a computer.
Something that will also track altitude and/or grade changes will riding.

I have experience with a Garmin III Plus as well as considerable software
background so I am open to high tech suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
*Jason. in Indy

I have used the original Garmin Vista, and did experience the auto-shut-off
issue related to loose Lithium batteries, but also had luck with a rubber
shim. The Lithiums do extend battery life, are expensive, but are almost a
required item as the Vista eats alkalines.

The software does allow an up-load of a track to PC as well as download of a
map, but does not allow routes to be complied on a PC and downloaded, or
I've never been able to do it ! though I think you can download routes from
Delorme products - never bothered though. The built in tracklog is good for
about a 22 mile ride, or one way track, before it "wraps around" the log of
waypoints it writes. You also want to set it to the finest resolution so it
will write a lot of waypoints on a track log, else it cuts corners on twisty
roads and the ride log reads short. Thus a regular $25 bike computer can be
more accurate, especially in the woods, where any GPS may lose a signal.

Bottom line is it's an expensive gadget for everyday riding, but useful if
you are riding in an area where you might get lost, and/or are creating a
cue sheet.

SB

Old August 8th 05, 09:52 PM
Rick

Ted wrote:
I can recommend against one model, the Garmin etrek Vista. It has 24
meg of memory and and upload maps of sections of the USA which is all
very nice. You can download track logs of your routes which is also
nice. The problem with the unit is that if you leave it on while you
ride it will turn its self off. I think the problem has to do with the
batteries losing contact when you hit bumps. I asked Garmin about this
problem and they said it was designed for alkaline batteries and that
rechargeable batteries weren't the same physical dimensions. I tried
the alkalines but they had the same problem. I haven't found any
solution.

FAQ item for anyone with the eTrex series. Shim the battery contacts.
Works fine. This information has been discussed in the GPS forums
since at least 2000, probably earlier.

- rick