is cottage cheese good cycling food/fuel?

Old March 29th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default is cottage cheese good cycling food/fuel?

I've never particularly cared for the stuff,
but I'm willing to give it another chance.
I may even dare to see what it does to my
homemade coleslaw.

I don't usually indulge in dairy products other
than hard cheese (I absolutely detest straight-up
milk,) and I also occasionally suffer leg (calf)
cramps. There's been a number of times I've had
to pull over, sit down, stretch my leg out, maybe
kick a shoe off, and let my calf muscle first
punish me with excruciating pain, and then
gradually, begrudgingly allow my toes to all
point in the right direction (forward.)

So, I'm going to see if including cottage cheese
in my diet might enhance my cycling experience.

If I put it in my coleslaw, I figure the usual
big splash of dill pickle juice I put in there,
plus maybe a drizzle of orange juice, might kill
any horribly insipid cottage cheese flavour.

I might even top my potato pancakes with it,
instead of sour cream. But I admit I'll have
to force myself to do so.

And I ain't letting the stuff anywhere near my aspics.

cheers, & I'm not very fond of bananas either,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old March 29th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Hardin

It stops diarrhea in dogs.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 29th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 29, 8:25 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
[...]

Cottage cheese is high in protein, and reasonably to very low fat.
Also low carbohydrate. As a fuel, I'd say it's not a very economical
nor effective choice. As a part of a regular diet, I find it
indispensable. I like to try to maintain a high protein intake, and to
keep a particular carb-protein balance with each meal. I find is
sometime difficult to get enough protein for this in a normal meal, so
I use varying amounts of cottage cheese to adjust the balance. I like
it too!

Joseph

Joseph

Old March 29th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Mar 29, 1:25 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
I've never particularly cared for the stuff,
but I'm willing to give it another chance.
I may even dare to see what it does to my
homemade coleslaw.

Don't **** it up by mixing it with slaw for chrissakes. Large curd is
the way to go. Regular or low fat. The low fat one is sometimes just
labled "low fat" and not "large curd" so you'll have to take a chance
sometimes. Serve plain with fresh ground pepper. Nothing else needed.
Don't get the small curd, it'll remind you of baby poo, unless you're
into that kind of thing.

Old March 29th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Tom Keats wrote:
:: I've never particularly cared for the stuff,
:: but I'm willing to give it another chance.
:: I may even dare to see what it does to my
:: homemade coleslaw.
::
:: I don't usually indulge in dairy products other
:: than hard cheese (I absolutely detest straight-up
:: milk,) and I also occasionally suffer leg (calf)
:: cramps. There's been a number of times I've had
:: to pull over, sit down, stretch my leg out, maybe
:: kick a shoe off, and let my calf muscle first
:: punish me with excruciating pain, and then
:: gradually, begrudgingly allow my toes to all
:: point in the right direction (forward.)
::
:: So, I'm going to see if including cottage cheese
:: in my diet might enhance my cycling experience.
::

Why would you expect CC to make a difference one way or another? CC is a
good source of protein and fat, but there are plenty of other sources for
this. I don't see what's special about CC. And for cycling, it all
depends. If you need to ride hard & fast or climb a lot, I don't think CC
is going to be worth much. If you tend to not drive your heart rate up,
then CC can provide fuel to move (slowly) and materials to rebuild your
body.

:: If I put it in my coleslaw, I figure the usual
:: big splash of dill pickle juice I put in there,
:: plus maybe a drizzle of orange juice, might kill
:: any horribly insipid cottage cheese flavour.

Gee, if you don't like it, don't eat it. There are other foods to eat, and
CC isn't some miracle food.
::
:: I might even top my potato pancakes with it,
:: instead of sour cream. But I admit I'll have
:: to force myself to do so.
::
:: And I ain't letting the stuff anywhere near my aspics.
::
::
:: cheers, & I'm not very fond of bananas either,
:: Tom

Ok, that's two food you don't like. There are plenty of others. Do you
have some issue with your cycling?

Old March 29th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

On Mar 29, 11:36 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
"Roger Zoul" writes:

Tom Keats wrote:
[...]

Just looking for a reasonably palatable way to include
more dairy in my diet, with hopes it might alleviate
the leg cramps thing. I generally don't indulge in
much dairy products, especially during the warmer
seasons. People ask what to do about leg cramps, and
the usual responses is: milk, and bananas. To which
I say: blecch.

Oh well. There's always yogurt to tinker with, too.
My dad used to make yogurt. After homemade yogurt,
the store-bought stuff seems so artificial.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca- Hide quoted text -

In my experience cramping is often associated with potassium
deficiency. Bananas, tomatos and a whole host of other foods are good
sources of potassium. If you don't like the foods you can always take
potassium in tablet form. It is also part of the formula for most
sports drinks- for precisly the reason that it works.
As to your not eating much of dairy. I happen to like certain cheeses
but the reality is that as most of us age we become more and more
lactose intolerant. This suggests to me (despite dairy industry
studies to the contrary) that for most of us dairy need not be an
important component of adult diets.

Old March 29th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-03-29, Tom Keats wrote:

Just looking for a reasonably palatable way to include
more dairy in my diet, with hopes it might alleviate
the leg cramps thing. I generally don't indulge in
much dairy products, especially during the warmer
seasons. People ask what to do about leg cramps, and
the usual responses is: milk, and bananas. To which
I say: blecch.

I don't believe dairy will help with cramps near as much as
potassium will. Since bananas won't do, how about something
from the table located at

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/potassium/

Baked potatoes, orange juice, raisins, acorn squash, almonds --
there has to be /something/ you like there.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Old March 29th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Tom Keats wrote:
I've never particularly cared for the stuff,
but I'm willing to give it another chance.

I can't imagine a less appetizing cycling food.

milk,) and I also occasionally suffer leg (calf)
cramps.

Potassium helps, as does calcium. Try eating bananas, or taking a
supplement. Tums is a good thing to have for immediate relief.

--

David L. Johnson

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig...
You soon find out the pig likes it!
Old March 29th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:54:39 -0400, Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-03-29, Tom Keats wrote:

Just looking for a reasonably palatable way to include
more dairy in my diet, with hopes it might alleviate
the leg cramps thing. I generally don't indulge in
much dairy products, especially during the warmer
seasons. People ask what to do about leg cramps, and
the usual responses is: milk, and bananas. To which
I say: blecch.

I don't believe dairy will help with cramps near as much as
potassium will. Since bananas won't do, how about something
from the table located at

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/potassium/

Baked potatoes, orange juice, raisins, acorn squash, almonds --
there has to be /something/ you like there.

The best potassium substitute is light salt.

--
Bob in CT