Ergo rebuild

Old January 17th 05, 01:36 PM
Andrew Karre

Default Ergo rebuild

I just rebuilt a Record 9 Ergo lever with a 10 index gear and new
G-springs. This is the second time I've rebuilt this lever and it
seemed to go pretty well (nice click; all 10 gears, etc.) except for
one thing: The shifter gets stuck in 10th (smallest cog and won't
upshift. When the index gear is all the way in (pulling no cable), the
upshift ratchet won't turn the index gear. It seems to slip (no click)
unless I very deliberately push up on the inner lever as I slowly
upshift. Then it catches and upshifts fine through all subsequent
gears. Is the inner lever mech. worn out? I didn't even take it out
when I put in the index gear, and it shifted fairly well before. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew Karre

Old January 17th 05, 04:36 PM
Andrew Karre

Sorry, this is all garbled. This is the problem: Once I've shifted into
the smallest cog (using the thumb lever), I can't downshift (shift back
up the cassette into larger cogs with the inner lever). The ratchet
won't catch, and the lever swings all the way in with no effect. If I
push up and in on the lever, I can force the ratchet to engage and it
will shift from the 10th down to 9th, and from then on with no problem
at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old January 17th 05, 04:52 PM
m-gineering

Andrew Karre wrote:

Sorry, this is all garbled. This is the problem: Once I've shifted into
the smallest cog (using the thumb lever), I can't downshift (shift back
up the cassette into larger cogs with the inner lever). The ratchet
won't catch, and the lever swings all the way in with no effect. If I
push up and in on the lever, I can force the ratchet to engage and it
will shift from the 10th down to 9th, and from then on with no problem
at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew

When I order parts for a conversion I get a shifter disk with a
corresponding front ratchet. Maybe they are different for a reason?
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 18th 05, 05:46 AM
Mark Janeba

Andrew Karre wrote:

Sorry, this is all garbled. This is the problem: Once I've shifted into
the smallest cog (using the thumb lever), I can't downshift (shift back
up the cassette into larger cogs with the inner lever). The ratchet
won't catch, and the lever swings all the way in with no effect. If I
push up and in on the lever, I can force the ratchet to engage and it
will shift from the 10th down to 9th, and from then on with no problem
at all. Any thoughts?

Question - have you reinstalled the levers yet? I remember noticing
behavior something like this on a set of "in-the-box" Ergo levers; all
was well once a cable was installed providing some tension, and they've
worked fine for many miles since.

If you've got this problem with a cable already providing something to
pull against, you can disregard this advice.

Mark Janeba

Old February 8th 05, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

andrew- This is the problem: Once I've shifted into
the smallest cog (using the thumb lever), I can't downshift (shift back
up the cassette into larger cogs with the inner lever). The ratchet
won't catch, and the lever swings all the way in with no effect. If I
push up and in on the lever, I can force the ratchet to engage and it
will shift from the 10th down to 9th, and from then on with no problem
at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks, BRBR

Sounds like the little tab on the shift lever assembly is not engaging the
front toothed bushing, which makes the rear rathet turn inside the shift disc.

'May' need a new shift lever assembly.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.