long rides with viola

Old August 15th 03, 07:35 PM
Jonathan Fretheim

Default long rides with viola

Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house
with my viola on the bike. Any advice on the safest way to transport
said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.

Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the
problem of jarring the thing around); but I have heard of cellists who
wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their hard cases when
flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would
be great.
Old August 15th 03, 07:53 PM
B. Sanders

"Jonathan Fretheim" wrote in message
om...
Soon I'll start to ride about 65 miles to a fellow musician's house
with my viola on the bike. Any advice on the safest way to transport
said cargo over that distance would be appreciated.

Sadly, I don't have a suspension case (which, I think, would solve the
problem of jarring the thing around); but I have heard of cellists who
wrap their instruments in bubble wrap inside their hard cases when
flying. Advice from experienced bicycling violists/violinists would
be great.

Get a large backpack with a rigid frame (internal or external). Doesn't
have to be fancy or expensive, as long as it fits you and holds the viola
case securely. Lashing the case to the backpack frame with bungies might be
a good idea. Any sporting goods shop or even department stores probably
have something that would work, without dropping big cash on a "serious"
mountaineering pack.

I wouldn't carry the viola attached to the bike if you can avoid it.

-Barry

Old August 15th 03, 08:05 PM
Ron Hardin

B. Sanders wrote:
Get a large backpack with a rigid frame (internal or external). Doesn't
have to be fancy or expensive, as long as it fits you and holds the viola
case securely. Lashing the case to the backpack frame with bungies might be
a good idea. Any sporting goods shop or even department stores probably
have something that would work, without dropping big cash on a "serious"
mountaineering pack.

I wouldn't carry the viola attached to the bike if you can avoid it.

I'd guess heat would kill the thing in any case. The sun will heat anything up
to unreasonable temperatures that isn't in the shade with free air wafting past it.

The humidity change and temperature would probably crack the thing in short order
as the wood changes size.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 16th 03, 01:13 PM
Steve McDonald

Forget the bike and hop on the Grey Dog. But, don't let them stow
the viola in the luggage compartment.

Steve McDonald