Is Boonen showing these guys up by looking back like that?

Old August 19th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Is Boonen showing these guys up by looking back like that?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...063/LCeasy_win

Kind of like a baseball player who watches his home run from the
batter's box. In baseball, they bean you next time up.

Duped

Old August 19th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...063/LCeasy_win

Kind of like a baseball player who watches his home run from the
batter's box. In baseball, they bean you next time up.

Duped

If you read the race report, it seems he was actually leading out a
teammate who, as it turned out, couldn't hold his wheel. He was
probably looking back to see if he was there.

Considering the graciousness and humility he typically exhibits when
interviewed, I doubt seriously he was looking back to humiliate his
competitors.

Scott

Old August 19th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

Scott wrote:

If you read the race report, it seems he was actually leading out a
teammate who, as it turned out, couldn't hold his wheel. He was
probably looking back to see if he was there.

He'd already lost De Jongh by then and was just checking to see where
Van Heeswijk was. He actually gave another little kick with a few
metres to go to make sure he won. But I don't think the intention was
to humiliate.

Jeff

Old August 20th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Raptor

Jeff Jones wrote:
Scott wrote:

If you read the race report, it seems he was actually leading out a
teammate who, as it turned out, couldn't hold his wheel. He was
probably looking back to see if he was there.

He'd already lost De Jongh by then and was just checking to see where
Van Heeswijk was. He actually gave another little kick with a few
metres to go to make sure he won. But I don't think the intention was
to humiliate.

Jeff

The winner savoring victory can feel humiliating to the loser, without
any mockery intended.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
Old August 20th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Raptor wrote:
Jeff Jones wrote:
Scott wrote:

If you read the race report, it seems he was actually leading out a
teammate who, as it turned out, couldn't hold his wheel. He was
probably looking back to see if he was there.

He'd already lost De Jongh by then and was just checking to see where
Van Heeswijk was. He actually gave another little kick with a few
metres to go to make sure he won. But I don't think the intention was
to humiliate.

Jeff

The winner savoring victory can feel humiliating to the loser, without
any mockery intended.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Why isn't Boonen trying to win instead of leading out. I know it's a
nice gesture but he's got the overall lead; and Sunday's TT is only 16
kilometres. He should do all right. Although Hincapie is only 17
seconds back, Hincapie might take the overall over Boonen but not by
much.

Andre

Old August 20th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

On 20 Aug 2006 04:47:07 -0700, Andre wrote:
Why isn't Boonen trying to win instead of leading out.

Trying to get into form for Worlds.

nice gesture but he's got the overall lead; and Sunday's TT is only 16
kilometres. He should do all right.

Two days ago he was already complaining that he retained the lead; he
wants to show his world champs jersey in his home country now that he
still can.
Old August 20th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
mal

The winner savoring victory can feel humiliating to the loser, without any
mockery intended.

Thank you Grasshopper

Old August 20th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On 20 Aug 2006 04:47:07 -0700, Andre wrote:
Why isn't Boonen trying to win instead of leading out.

Trying to get into form for Worlds.

nice gesture but he's got the overall lead; and Sunday's TT is only 16
kilometres. He should do all right.

Two days ago he was already complaining that he retained the lead; he
wants to show his world champs jersey in his home country now that he
still can.

He just doesn't like that red color. I hope he doesn't hold back too
much today.

p.s. This year's Worlds doesn't really suit him does it? I mean the
terrain.

Andre

Old August 20th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

Andre wrote:

Why isn't Boonen trying to win instead of leading out.

Dumbass -

A team leader tends to get better work from his workers in big races
when he will do the same for them elsewhere.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Boonen Wins in Doha Geraard Spergen Racing 72 February 4th 06 03:41 PM
Lower back pain yk Techniques 10 September 13th 05 06:44 AM
Back to Back Epic Uni Rides aspenmike Unicycling 11 August 17th 05 05:23 AM
Ride Report - Leicester to Hull and Back 25/26th June (LONG) David Bentley UK 9 June 30th 05 02:54 PM
Oh my aching back Grumpy Techniques 19 August 15th 04 11:33 PM