WTF is with the spandex?

Old May 4th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
The jeans guy

Default WTF is with the spandex?

You haters need to get out and ride your bikes more.

Oh, and Salt N Peppa called, and they want their wardrobe back.

I'm not going to ride in a clown suit either. No matter what.

But, to each their own. If you feel good about it, do it.

On May 4, 8:42*am, landotter wrote:
On May 1, 11:44*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On May 1, 7:27*pm, "Pat" wrote:

The jeans guy is a troll.

Could be a troll. *Could be ignorant. *Could be both.

I'm voting for both.

- Frank Krygowski

cT:

|||||||8||

If you put enough Vaseline lotion on your taint--ya can ride in
anything! Plus you'll smell like you just got off the Internet.

Old May 4th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bruce[_3_]

On 2009-05-04 10:08:48 -0700, The jeans guy said:

You haters need to get out and ride your bikes more.

Oh, and Salt N Peppa called, and they want their wardrobe back.

I'm not going to ride in a clown suit either. No matter what.

But, to each their own. If you feel good about it, do it.

I'm not criticizing you - just voicing an opinion. You know how those
are....about like a$$holes - everyone has one :-)

Again - try riding much more than a few miles in the heat...or even
more than 15-20 in any weather, and you will appreciate bicycle
specific clothing.

And FWIW, I ride plenty.....over 6k miles per year for the past 4 yrs,
including lots of centuries. I couldn't imagine going back to anything
but a "clown suit" for the riding I do - and no I'm not trying to be
Lance, nor do I race.

Just my 2 cents

Old May 5th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom_Sherman

"The jeans guy" Top Posted:
You haters need to get out and ride your bikes more.

Oh, and Salt N Peppa called, and they want their wardrobe back.

I'm not going to ride in a clown suit either. No matter what.

But, to each their own. If you feel good about it, do it.
[...]

You can get wicking and breathable but normal looking "travel" clothing
and ride a recumbent while wearing such in comfort. Of course, riding
the 'bent in normal clothes makes you look more weird than the roadies.

The crank-forward design could be a compromise: http://www.ransbikes.com/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old May 5th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
The jeans guy

On May 4, 4:34*pm, Tom_Sherman
wrote:
"The jeans guy" Top Posted:

You haters need to get out and ride your bikes more.

Oh, and Salt N Peppa called, and they want their wardrobe back.

Cool. Althought jeans aren't that great of an option in the heat, I
have always found that regular old khaki shorts are. I think roadies
are just way overdoing it with all of their gear. No need for all
that unless you're going 100K.

My point was initially the look and the awfulness of it all. I really
do not see the need in this city (Vancouver). Also, it's better if
you can actually enjoy the ride and take some time doing it rather
than racing all over trying to get to work or whatever. I just really
think everyone just needs to slow down. But that's for another
thread.

Old May 5th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
The jeans guy writes:

Cool. Althought jeans aren't that great of an option in the heat, I
have always found that regular old khaki shorts are. I think roadies
are just way overdoing it with all of their gear. No need for all
that unless you're going 100K.

Well, a lot of roadies are pretty gung-ho, and like
to exuberantly exert with sprints or hillclimbs or
whatever, once in a while. Besides, when they suit-up
they can rationalize that they're on a "training ride" :-)
If they're members of sponsored racing teams, might as
well grab a team jersey outa the closet.

My point was initially the look and the awfulness of it all. I really
do not see the need in this city (Vancouver).

Aw, Vancouver is rife with fashion felons. Heck,
I'm one of 'em. At the other end of the spectrum,
I think a lot of the plain, generic stuff, like
certain MEC profferings, look dowdy. Especially
when it's colour is security guard yellow.

Thriller, on Main & 18th (next door to the Ride On
bike shop) has some nice styles, if one is young
enough to wear them. Sometimes I'm tempted to get
Blim to fix me up with a bunch of black t-shirts,
with a big white skull inside a bigger red heart
printed on their backs. If the skull is reflective,
so much the better.

Also, it's better if
you can actually enjoy the ride and take some time doing it rather
than racing all over trying to get to work or whatever. I just really
think everyone just needs to slow down. But that's for another
thread.

I figure riders are entitled to their respective paces,
so long as they don't interfere with anybody else.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 5th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 4, 9:44*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I figure riders are entitled to their respective paces,
so long as they don't interfere with anybody else.

What??? Tolerance???? Get a grip, man! This is Usenet!

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 5th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 3, 2:48*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

The O.P. does pose an interesting point.

Other forms of transportation (i.e: driving, walking,
public transit) rarely involve having to don specific
clothing. *Maybe with this H1N1 'flu going around,
surgical masks & gloves aren't a bad idea on public
transit.

It is nice to be able to just hop on a bike and go.

And I do that all the time.

Durned if I'm gonna don a clown suit just to ride
10 blocks to the markets down the street.

There's a certain magic number: 5 miles.
A lot of people think that's the limit of a
bicycle's practicality in terms of getting around,
and beyond 5 miles, one might as well drive.

FWIW, I just rode home from work. That's seven miles one way, with
the trip home being up a long hill that gets steeper every year. :-
( But I rode in my business casual teaching clothes, as usual.

Still, there are those who are ignorant of the comfort improvement
that comes from bike clothes, especially on long or hard rides.
They're ignorant because they've never tried bike clothes. And some
of the ignorant troll here.

I don't know why ignorance inspires confidence, but there's no denying
that it does!

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 5th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Frank Krygowski writes:

Still, there are those who are ignorant of the comfort improvement
that comes from bike clothes, especially on long or hard rides.
They're ignorant because they've never tried bike clothes.

Trouble is, traditional cycling apparel only comes in the
same ol' familiar style & cut, which isn't to everybody's
taste, especially folks with certain modesty issues.

As for the more garish versions (i.e: jerseys with 7-Eleven,
Volkswagen, &c logos splattered all over them -- some people
prefer more subdued stuff. And some people just don't
wanna be human billboards.

I note long distance and back-country bicycle tourers have
figured out optional garb that works well for them,
including shorts that actually have pockets from which
their contents do not escape.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 5th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On May 5, 9:02*am, max wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

Trouble is, traditional cycling apparel only comes in the
same ol' familiar style & cut, which isn't to everybody's
taste, especially folks with certain modesty issues.

i simply rented ad space to my mohel.

"Rabbi *Ari"

Is that an advert for bialis in back, or did a seam burst?

Question on wearing Spandex Daryl Hunt General 21 June 18th 07 07:42 PM
Spandex for Men LOL BigRab UK 8 July 17th 06 10:14 AM
Non-spandex bike shorts? Joe S. General 18 August 18th 05 03:00 PM
Spandex brucianna General 6 July 7th 05 04:28 PM
Candidate for congress in spandex? Claire Petersky General 3 September 28th 04 10:13 PM