disc brake question

Old December 8th 03, 08:02 AM
periplaneta

Default disc brake question

N Grover wrote
thanks all,

i'll go over those lists and see what happens but most of those things I
have tried. I have deduced that either i have superman hearing or my trek
mount is too flexy.

Grover, my front Hayes does a very good impression of an angry bee
when I'm going at a certain speed, is this the "tinging" sound you
refer to? If so, I think it appears to be some sort of resonace
related problem. If you tap the rotor on the part that is furthest
away from the caliper, e.g. if the caliper sits at 3 o'clock then you
can tap it at the 9 o'clock postion you might be able to duplicate
that same annoying noise. If so I would be interested in a solution
too as I have tried all the caliper centering techniques and none of
them work. I have resorted to filing the mounts in order to try and
make the caliper angle sit more in-line with the rotor - all to no
avail. My second last resort will be to buy a new rotor - my last
would be to replace the brake altogether.
Oh dear, that didn't seem to have helped you at all.
Old December 8th 03, 12:00 PM
iddqd

N Grover wrote:
I'm not bagging on Hayes, they stop better than anything I've tried and I
would still use them over V's (on the average). I just want the "ultimate"
brake that won't "ting" as much.

I have it too and so does my mates - as far as I know it's like a
trademark of Hayes. However it's not all the time just once in a while
and it seems to be mostly on the 8" disc on my front wheel.

That being said I don't think you can ever get completely rid of the
phenomenen regardless of what system you choose - it's simply the price
one pays for having a brake system with a thin disc and very little
clearence between disc and pads.

Kind regards

Bruno

--
To mail me write to iddqdATworldonline.dk (U know what 2 do)

Der skulle være flere af dem her i trafikken - http://www.westocykler.dk

Old December 8th 03, 04:04 PM
miles todd

periplaneta wrote:
[...]

This problem is easily remedied. Go to your local NAPA auto parts store
and get "Disc Brake Anti-Squeal Compound". Smear it on the surface on
the hub that mates with the rotor, reinstall, and ride happy.
The stuff is designed to quell the resonance vibrations that plague you.

Miles

Old December 8th 03, 04:29 PM
D H

"N Grover" wrote in message
news
thanks all,

i'll go over those lists and see what happens but most of those things I
have tried. I have deduced that either i have superman hearing or my trek
mount is too flexy. Trek's basically don't come with an IS mount, so you
have to screw on (three bolts) a trek IS adaptor (which weighs a ton) and
then you have to screw on a hayes adaptor (two more bolts) and then the
caliper (two more bolts) which leads to 7 bolts and a big distance between
the frame and caliper. belive me i can flex the caliper with my hand
without to much problem. the rotor is pretty straight last i checked but
the real kicker is that it does not rub sitting down, only when standing
up. Up front I have a SID fork and although it also "tings" at times i
could probably live with it if that were all because it's not as bad.

I'm not bagging on Hayes, they stop better than anything I've tried and I
would still use them over V's (on the average). I just want the "ultimate"
brake that won't "ting" as much.

Fair enough. I sympathize with your problem. I didn't know you had that
much baggage involved in putting on discs. By the way, do you already have
the old Hayes standard attachment holes on your Trek, the 22mm holes on the
_chain_stay? If so, you can eliminate all the adapters by getting an old
style Hayes caliper half, if such is available for your model Hayes. My
Klein Mantra has this setup and my rear caliper mounts directly to the frame
with no adapter, which probably affords a more solid setup, I guess. I don't
know if this is worth buying from your point of view, but if it is, it would
be a very simple changeover. I think cambriabike.com has lots of Hayes small
parts, as do some other online retailers. Might be worth checking for
options. Good luck to you.
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Old December 8th 03, 05:41 PM
N Grover

Oh dear, that didn't seem to have helped you at all.

no actually that did help, it think it may be a resonance thing. anyway i
am glad to hear that others can sympathize. with all the new brakes
comming out next year i hope that one of them will cure this (hope's,
avid, xtr). anyway, i'll keep my eyes out for reviews of new models.
another option would be mechanical discs. they have a pretty good amount
of gap between the pad and rotor....but then again i would be changing
cables and they may not offer as much power.
Old December 9th 03, 12:33 AM
periplaneta

miles todd wrote in message ...

[snip, snip]

This problem is easily remedied. Go to your local NAPA auto parts store
and get "Disc Brake Anti-Squeal Compound". Smear it on the surface on
the hub that mates with the rotor, reinstall, and ride happy.
The stuff is designed to quell the resonance vibrations that plague you.

Miles

Thanks Miles, sounds just the ticket!
Old December 9th 03, 06:43 AM
fasterTHANyou

Super Slinky wrote:
I have heard that the Avid Juicy will be very adjustable, but other than
that don't know much about them, except that they are expensive.

they are WONDERFUL. i've ridden the 03XTR's and the hayes mag plus...
nothing compares to the juicy's. if you've got the dough, they're worth
it. a little portly, but i always figure get the good kit- and lose some
weight in the gym