Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker

Old June 26th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker

Marin briefs: Dipsea winner injured
Staff Report
Article Launched: 06/17/2007 09:22:24 PM PDT

IJ report
OAKLAND - Last week's Dipsea winner Jamie Berns was plowing her way
to another victory in Oakland's Woodminster Cross Country Race on
Sunday before being clipped by a mountain biker.
Berns required 12 "Frankenstein stitches" and had to abandon the
race, as well as her lead, Berns said.
"I had a pretty good chance of winning it all," Berns said. "I just
wanted to apply some pressure with a towel (at the first-aid station)
and they realized how bad it was and stopped me."
Mill Valley's Roy Rivers, who took third in the Dipsea last Sunday,
won the 41st Woodminster.
The Woodminster is the second leg in the "Triple Crown" of the Dipsea
three - including next week's Double Dipsea. It's handicapped by age
and gender.
Berns led the race up until she was making her way up the ridge when
the unknown biker, traveling fast in the opposite direction, clipped
her below her left thumb on the handle bar while they tried to avoid
each other.
Berns' doctor told her she'll be OK to race in the Double Dipsea. Her
stitches will have to come out in 10 days so she'll wrap her hand up
for the race.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 26th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

How many more times are you going to post this same story? You're up to
twice already that I know of ...

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old June 26th 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Michael Dart

Jeff Strickland wrote:
How many more times are you going to post this same story? You're up
to twice already that I know of ...

He's kind of like a dripping faucet.

Old June 26th 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

Berns required 12 "Frankenstein stitches" and had to abandon the
race, as well as her lead, Berns said.

------------
There is no doubt that multi-use paths are deadly, even more than sidewalks.
I have a lot of exeperience on them, as they have an extensive network of
them around where I live. The operative word is "multi-use". Occasionally
I use them for shortcuts through town, but I keep the speed way down. Why
anyone would use them for training purposes is beyond me. What makes them
more dangerous than sidewalks, is you can really ramp up the speed, while a
sidewalk you're usually going a snails pace because of all the obstacles.
The street is way safer, at least most people know what the rules are out
there, on a multi-use, people seem to ignore the rules, and behave as if it
was their private domain.

Old June 29th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Whatsit

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
Jeff Strickland wrote:
How many more times are you going to post this same story? You're up
to twice already that I know of ...

He's kind of like a dripping faucet.

Reminds me about the old adage regarding experts (mv does regard himself to
be an environmental impact expert, {simply mental IMHO} anyways back on
track...)

"An ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure".

Sorry but it appealed to me anyways. )

Andy H

Old June 29th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
datakoll

I cycle commute. The story is normal cycle activity. Do cyclists
dressed in $400 of Puerto Rican halloween costume say "passing on the
left'? no way. If asked politely " you stupid SOB, say passing on the
left" are they offended? off course.
they snarl: "you gotta mirror stupid you blind"?
The problem can be interpreted as the Mulesanne effect: besides
passing is fun, and you are the only person the PR passed all day
after getting blown away by a granny on a trike, passing at high speed
differentials is loads of fun. manly.
"he'll see us" you bet.