Buying a unicycle in the Boston area?

Old December 20th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mmreich

Default Buying a unicycle in the Boston area?

I'm looking to buy a starter adult unicycle and I'm wondering if
anyone knows of any stores in the Boston area that sell them? No luck
on Craigslist or Ebay. The most recent post on Boston stores is
pretty old - I'd greatly appreciate any updated information!
Old December 20th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

mmreich;1153626 wrote:
I'm looking to buy a starter adult unicycle and I'm wondering if
anyone knows of any stores in the Boston area that sell them? No luck
on Craigslist or Ebay. The most recent post on Boston stores is
pretty old - I'd greatly appreciate any updated information!

Hey there, theres a group of us here in Boston who have our own
separate little mailing list. Most of the other guys don't frequent
rec.sport.unicycle so you can contact us all by sending a message over

The easiest answer however is to get your unicycle from
www.unicycle.com. They have just about everything you could want and
support our community by continually introducing new and innovative
parts and sponsoring competitions.

What sort of riding are you looking to get into? Off road? Tricks? Just
cruising around?

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *3D Unicycle Computer Game**
- Follow the 'progress.' (http://www.projectuni.com)

*'Get cool unicycle posters, pins and more!'
(http://www.zazzle.com/BrianOleyUni*)* All products are my personal
photography. *Seven* items so far and more to come! * New Poster *
Old December 20th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Jeff at www.mountainuni.com should be able to help you get set up with a
uni and even some lessons if you are looking for that. Hes the guy who
really originally organized our whole group here in MA. He's based out
of Danvers, MA.

Old December 20th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
opqr279

Beyond covering the most desirable geometric styles(*'Wholesale
Christian Dior sunglasses' (http://tinyurl.com/7w66sh)*), Christian Dior
sunglasseses make an ever impressive fashion statement right from the
very first initial look. Well known for being at the forefront of
designer eyewear, Christian Dior offers a whole palate of dynamically
rich finishes for their cutting edge optical frames. Authentic
cosmopolitan character gracefully reveals itself at each and every
elegant curve. Absolutely stunning and beautiful eyewear!

--
opqr279

Old December 20th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mmreich

Thanks all for this info! I'm looking first to learn the basics, and
then to do commuting and tricks necessary to support commuting, e.g.
drops etc., and, I hope, eventually doing long distances. From what
I've read so far it looks like a lot of people like the Torker Unistar
LX 24" as a started in this direction?

Old December 20th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

Hey, I'm another Boston Rider. Jeff is a great guy! However, if you want
to buy from Unicycle.com, 'salem cycles' (http://www.salemcycle.com/)
can order it for you free of charge. They also have several in the store
that you can try. A 24 sounds like it would be a great choice. A
unicycle in house model
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1340 comes with an
excellent seat! Another option, for a bit more coin, is the torker AX.
This will be a little less comfy and alot lighter
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1013. I would suggest
you go to Salem cycles or jeff so you can check it out first.

--
Jeremy R

'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)
spam ban kaboom - Gilby
Old December 20th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

The LX is a great learners uni and after learning, a 24 w/ shorter
cranks makes a decent commuter.

A 20" is easier to learn, do tricks, and light trials on, but it's kind
of slow.

A 26" LX would be faster than the 24, rolls over bumps better, and have
a wider tire selection but isn't really recomended for learning on a
wheel that big.

On either the 24 or 26, you could do some light Muni (the 24 and I
think the 26 will fit some 2.6" knobbies).

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old December 22nd 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mmreich

Thanks again to all for contributing these resources - I will
definitely check them out!
Old December 22nd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

mmreich;1155176 wrote:
Thanks again to all for contributing these resources - I will
definitely check them out!

You will also find browsing the newsgroup a whole lot easier if you go
through www.unicyclist.com. It is set up in a message board format and
we also have other message boards for buy/selling, reviews, and unicycle
videos among other things. All of the responses you've had so far have
come from people posting on www.unicyclist.com