Fixed Gear + One Wheel + Mountain = Fun Rides?

Old February 9th 13, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Fixed Gear + One Wheel + Mountain = Fun Rides?

Just came across these.

Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZuy...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ioh...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sV_w3CodBcw

Some of these places these people ride are places you most definitely do not want to miss the turn on.

Cheers
Old February 10th 13, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022344...11885849406610
Old February 12th 13, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Feb 9, 5:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just came across these.

Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZuy...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ioh...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sV_w3CodBcw

Some of these places these people ride are places you most definitely do not want to miss the turn on.

Cheers

silly wabbit, trix are for kids

honestly, I am not impressed by any of it- far more impressive and
inspirational (for me) are double century+ rides I ve done that give
many moments replay in my mind in the years that follow~this is what I
have done, where I ve been who I am. I envy my own life.
Old February 13th 13, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 12, 1:05*am, raamman wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Just came across these.

Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZuy...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ioh...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sV_w3CodBcw

Some of these places these people ride are places you most definitely do not want to miss the turn on.

Cheers

silly wabbit, trix are for kids

honestly, I am not impressed by any of it- far more impressive and
inspirational (for me) are double century+ rides I ve done that give
many moments replay in my mind in the years that follow~this is what I
have done, where I ve been who I am. I envy my own life.

"I envy my own life" (?). Pnfggfw (sound of blowing morning coffee
out my nose). No offense, by anyone with the desire and a modicum of
fitness can grind out a double century. All you have to do is make
the pedals go around for a long time. It's not like riding on one
wheel along the brow of a granite face or hopping from rock to rock
down some steep chute. Not my cup of tea, but the guys who do it are
incredibly talented and fearless -- although in a socially useless
way. They are at the top of the extreme unicycling heap. They have
"pro" contracts and probably even groupies.

I have mixed feelings about riding a lot of miles. One of the many
moments I replay in my mind is coming back from riding across the US,
chatting with Phil Wood (the hub guy) at his old shop in San Jose, and
telling him that the trip was a tribute to his components. His
response was that it was a "tribute to spare time." Sure, I enjoyed
racing and riding, double centuries, death rides, etc., etc., but at
the end of the day . . . its a tribute to spare time. And I could have
used that time to learn to play bridge, which would be much more
enjoyable at the old folks home and certainly more enjoyable than
osteoarthritic knees.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 13th 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 13, 10:10*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

I have mixed feelings about riding a lot of miles. One of the many
moments I replay in my mind is coming back from riding across the US,
chatting with Phil Wood (the hub guy) at his old shop in San Jose, and
telling him that the trip was a tribute to his components. *His
response was that it was a "tribute to spare time." *Sure, I enjoyed
racing and riding, double centuries, death rides, etc., etc., but at
the end of the day . . . its a tribute to spare time. And I could have
used that time to learn to play bridge, which would be much more
enjoyable at the old folks home and certainly more enjoyable than
osteoarthritic knees.

Phil may have been right with the implication that a coast-to-coast
isn't a huge test of hubs and bottom brackets. It's only 4000 miles.
I'm sure it's been done on department store bikes.

And yes, I've been very grateful for the spare time to do that ride,
plus do lots and lots of rides over the years. (One double century
was enough for me, though. On that one, about 20 fairly fit cyclists
started; only three of us finished.)

Really, though, most USians do have spare time. It's a fairly small
percentage that never have a minute to waste; so it becomes a question
of what we do with the spare time we have. I know folks who love to
play bridge. I know more folks who swing clubs at golf balls every
chance they get; or who can tell you which college every pro football
player attended.

That's fine for them. I prefer the bike - and my music, too. Motion
is good for arthritis anyway!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 13th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 13, 8:48*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

No kidding -- I've got to move, or I lock up like the Tin Man. Like I
said, I'm conflicted when it comes to logging lots of miles. It turns
in to a compulsion -- it is just miles for miles. I know guys who are
not training for anything who spend all day riding -- usually in the
rain and crappy conditions this time of the year. I am one of those
guys, and I sometimes wonder if my time could be better spent. This
is more about me and the rocky transition between being a competitive
rider who "must" ride to stay in shape and being an old man who rides
for enjoyment.

What I enjoy more this time of year is skiing, but that is due in
great part to the fact that I get to ski with my son, who exposes me
to unnecessary dangers under the assumption that I am capable of
skiing the same perilous chutes as he is. I watch him ski away as I
stand there muttering "f*** this! Where's the traverse!"

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 13th 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

I often rack up 100+ kilometres unintentionally on a ride. I get out on the bike and start riding and exploring thte many backroads near me and the next thing I know 100 kilometres have passed. It's the sense of wonder at discovering new vistas or even new views of familiar areas that often lure us into riding much further than we intend when we start the ride. I often get to tell driver friends about things in the area that they'd never see from their vehicle unless they already knew they were there. There is a rail-trail not far from me that runs from Cambridge Ontario to Hamilton. At the 16 kilometres point from the Cambridge side heading towards Hamilton there are ruins on the left side of the trail. Once the foilage is out you will ride right past those ruins without ever seeing them unlees you know to slow down and look for them. They're the remains of a coal-fired generating station that boosted the power on the electric railway.

Some people ride great distances just for the thrill of discovery whilst others ride long distances simple for the thril of accumulating many miles.

Cheers
Old February 13th 13, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 13, 4:03*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
This
is more about me and the rocky transition between being a competitive
rider who "must" ride to stay in shape and being an old man who rides
for enjoyment.

Yeah, I think a lot of us are entering that transition.

Put a big saddlebag and fenders on your bike. Maybe a handlebar bag,
too. It can help change your mental image. Once you adjust your
daydreams, all is well.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 13th 13, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 13, 5:39*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I often rack up 100+ kilometres unintentionally on a ride. I get out on the bike and start riding and exploring thte many backroads near me and the next thing I know 100 kilometres have passed. It's the sense of wonder at discovering new vistas or even new views of familiar areas that often lure us into riding much further than we intend when we start the ride.

I'm blessed with a dense network of backroads, too, and I love
exploring them. But having lived here for over 30 years now, it takes
more and more kilometers to get to ones I'm not familiar with. Sadly,
it's coming at a time I can do fewer and fewer kilometers at a
crack. :-/ Perhaps it's time to start carrying a sleeping bag
again...

I often get to tell driver friends about things in the area that they'd never see from their vehicle unless they already knew they were there. There is a rail-trail not far from me that runs from Cambridge Ontario to Hamilton. At the 16 kilometres point from the Cambridge side heading towards Hamilton there are ruins on the left side of the trail. Once the foilage is out you will ride right past those ruins without ever seeing them unlees you know to slow down and look for them.

While I greatly prefer having the foliage, I do like the newly opened
vistas after the leaves fall. Especially in the hilly areas south and
west of me, I like seeing the contours of the land exposed by the
fallen leaves. The hills look like the muscles of the earth.

Some people ride great distances just for the thrill of discovery whilst others ride long distances simple for the thril of accumulating many miles.

Yep. And I've been both people!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 14th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

credit Wood for a bad attitude