Pronunciation of bike names

Old November 19th 04, 06:54 AM
Walrus

Default Pronunciation of bike names

ProfTournesol Wrote:
Look - as in soon not cook (ie luke)

Very clever, you're a smart individual

--
Walrus

Old November 19th 04, 08:07 AM
ProfTournesol

Walrus Wrote:
Very clever, you're a smart individual.

I'm a Professor!

--
ProfTournesol

Old November 19th 04, 09:27 PM
Courtancer

I've got a couple more
Vivace, and
Merida. I've heard them pronounced in a few different ways

--
Courtancer

Old November 19th 04, 09:50 PM
Gags

"Courtancer" wrote in
message ...

I've got a couple more.
Vivace, and
Merida. I've heard them pronounced in a few different ways.

--
Courtancer

What about that exotic "Huffy" brand....(pronounced Who Fay)

Gags

Old November 20th 04, 02:19 AM
ProfTournesol

Gags Wrote:
"Courtancer" wrot
in
message ...

I've got a couple more.
Vivace, and
Merida. I've heard them pronounced in a few different ways.

--
Courtancer

What about that exotic "Huffy" brand....(pronounced Who Fay)

Gags

Colnago - soft G or hard G?
Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G

--
ProfTournesol

Old November 20th 04, 03:42 AM
Resound

ProfTournesol Wrote:
Colnago - soft G or hard G?
Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

I'd guess virtually not at all. ie- cam-pan-YOH-loh Sort of like
jalapeno. Oh, and Vivace would probably be Vee-VAH-chay.

--
Resound

Old November 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:19:25 +1100, ProfTournesol
wrote:

Colnago - soft G or hard G?

hard.

Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :-) OK, That's not going
to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.

Here's one that always gives trouble :-) Ciocc.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old November 20th 04, 05:29 AM
Resound

Richard Sherratt Wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:19:25 +1100, ProfTournesol
wrote:

Colnago - soft G or hard G?

hard.

Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :-) OK, That's not going
to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.

Here's one that always gives trouble :-) Ciocc.

--
Regards.
Richard.

"chee-OKK"? Or "chee-OHCH"

--
Resound

Old November 20th 04, 06:50 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:29:40 +1100, Resound
wrote:

Richard Sherratt Wrote:

snip
Here's one that always gives trouble :-) Ciocc.

"chee-OKK"? Or "chee-OHCH"?

The second one's close :-)

The Ci gives you a Ch. The o gives you an o (like the o in hot). The
cc gives you a ch. So it's Choch.

So who else used to have an Italian mother-in-law with an impeccable
cultured Italian accent who winced at the way English speakers
pronounced Italian? :-) But, to give her her due, she was happy to
give lots of coaching and never laughed maliciously at the inevitable
mistakes.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old November 20th 04, 07:29 AM
NickZX6R

Richard Sherratt wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:19:25 +1100, ProfTournesol
wrote:

Colnago - soft G or hard G?

hard.

Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :-) OK, That's not going
to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.

Here's one that always gives trouble :-) Ciocc.

I prefer 'Chook'.

But then, I don't own one

--
Nick

The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Podcasts Fixed - 2005 National Mayors' Ride Begins Cycle America General 2 April 27th 05 05:37 PM
Podcasts Fixed - 2005 National Mayors' Ride Begins Cycle America Rides 0 April 27th 05 05:23 PM
Pronunciation of bike names Walrus Australia 10 November 25th 04 03:18 AM