André Jute: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull, overpriced

Old June 2nd 09, 10:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°

Default André Jute: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull, overpriced

Chalo Colina wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
I don't know the brands you're talking about but I have just learned
that the Giant Revive and some others with which I have an
acquaintance are called Compact Long Wheelbase Semi-Recumbents to
describe bikes with lower seats, and pedals somewhere behind the
headset.

I'm starting to think I judged the Giant Revive harshly and should
give it, or a better bike of the same format (some of my fave makers
work in the same format, though at multiples of the price...), another
chance.

The late, unlamented BikeE was of the same category. It was easily
the worst two-wheeled ride I ever tried to make peace with.

http://www.bikee.org/
http://rideabike.com/page.cfm?PageID=58

Since there are strong indications that the Giant Revive was based on
the BikeE by dint of industrial espionage, it may be no better. But
if Mike Burroughs or any other designer for Giant actually rode a
BikeE, surely they would have set to work on remedying its
afflictions. Even a guy who intentionally makes bikes with wheels
that ride inches off center would have qualms about the spastic
handling of a BikeE.

I accept the veracity (of course) of Chalo's reporting, but not his
conclusions. I am opposite of athletically gifted when it comes to
balance and coordination, and I find the BikeE singles [1] very easy to
ride.

I can only imagine both Chalo and his wife were trying to ride the
BikeE's like uprights, which would result in grossly over-controlling
the bicycles.

[1] The BikeE E2 tandem is ridiculously easy to ride solo, but weird and
scary with a stoker.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 2nd 09, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

I can only imagine both Chalo and his wife were trying to ride the
BikeE's like uprights, which would result in grossly over-controlling
the bicycles.

This is what I hear about 'bents from true believers. We chopper-
building guys can generally accept that a bike with knife-edge
handling, that wants to chase its own tail, is simply an ill-tempered
bitch. But if it's a 'bent, it just needs the more delicate touch of
a sensitive rider.

"Stretch out with your feelings":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvpRNzoaVU

[1] The BikeE E2 tandem is ridiculously easy to ride solo, but weird and
scary with a stoker.

That sounds like the basis for a bizarre-looking but potentially
effective longtail cargo bike.

I have heard that bike credited for the downfall of BikeE, but I had
never heard its idiosyncrasies explained until now. Do you have any
other observations about it that might illuminate the reasons some
folks think it sank BikeE?

I understand that it was the first, perhaps bespoke application for
the 110psi 16 x 1.85" Maxxis Hookworm tire. I think that's a great
tire to have available, but I don't think I would much enjoy riding
with it stuck right under my seat.

Chalo
Old June 2nd 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°

Default BikeE

Chalo Colina wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
I can only imagine both Chalo and his wife were trying to ride the
BikeE's like uprights, which would result in grossly over-controlling
the bicycles.

This is what I hear about 'bents from true believers. We chopper-
building guys can generally accept that a bike with knife-edge
handling, that wants to chase its own tail, is simply an ill-tempered
bitch. But if it's a 'bent, it just needs the more delicate touch of
a sensitive rider.

Not so. The BikeE singles are very easy to ride compared to the
Hypercycle and its descendants, or a pre-1999 ATP Vision SWB in my
experience. Even my RANS Rocket which I am very comfortable on after
thousands of miles is much harder for a 'bent beginner to ride than the
BikeE single.

Ever 'bent I have ridden handles badly if the rider pulls on the bars -
the control forces are much lighter since the rider is only supporting
the weight of his/her forearms on the bars.

"Stretch out with your feelings":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvpRNzoaVU

[1] The BikeE E2 tandem is ridiculously easy to ride solo, but weird and
scary with a stoker.

That sounds like the basis for a bizarre-looking but potentially
effective longtail cargo bike.

I have heard that bike credited for the downfall of BikeE, but I had
never heard its idiosyncrasies explained until now. Do you have any
other observations about it that might illuminate the reasons some
folks think it sank BikeE?

I have heard BikeE was sunk by its primary supplier, Giant. I am not too
disappointed in the company going down, after they let their dealers
hang out to dry by insisting everything was fine until the last minute.

I understand that it was the first, perhaps bespoke application for
the 110psi 16 x 1.85" Maxxis Hookworm tire. I think that's a great
tire to have available, but I don't think I would much enjoy riding
with it stuck right under my seat.

I have exceeded 90 kph with a 35-305 Primo Comet front tire, but much
prefer to do so in the future on something like the Maxxis or a Schwalbe
Big Apple or City Jet.