Charger for batteries

Old June 24th 09, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Default Charger for batteries

Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

Old June 24th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ru4linux2

On Jun 24, 6:10*am, Simon Lewis wrote:
Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

Trust me here, I'm not an electronics whiz but I have seen solar panel
backpacks advertised:-

( http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...able_solar.php )

Would something like that help you?

Lewis.

*****
Old June 24th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

ru4linux2 writes:

On Jun 24, 6:10Â*am, Simon Lewis wrote:
Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

Trust me here, I'm not an electronics whiz but I have seen solar panel
backpacks advertised:-

( http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...able_solar.php )

Would something like that help you?

Lewis.

*****

Not really since it requires sun and a lot of area. And its expensive. I
already have a hub dynamo.
Old June 24th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 24, 12:10*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

I haven't set up a phone charger off a hub dynamo but it is certainly
possible. The easy if expensive and heavy way would probably be to buy
the BUMM Ride & Charge, add an inverter back up to mains voltage, then
use the phone's own charger. Or you could extract the charger's
control modules and add them on to the Ride & Charge with an
appropriate regulator. Tip: a bike is one great big heatsink.

For the Ride & Charge, go here
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html
and then CatalogueAccessoriesRide & Charge
and also get the instruction PDF
http://www.bumm.de/docu/download/492rk-e.pdf

Or, you could do without the Ride & Charge and simply take the current
directly from the hub dynamo to some (USB spec?) regulator/phone
charge controller you've cobbled up; I'd try this on a cheap phone
first. Check out the electronics DIY archives on the net; they're
bound to have a schematic for doing this from a car cigarette lighter
socket that you can adapt.

To operate both the charger and lights off the dynamo, go to M-
engineering in Holland or Peter White in the States and get the
circuit for running two lights off a dynamo.

***
I carry a mobile phone on my bike for calling a cab if I get a flat,
emergencies, etc. It is switched off, and it isn't used for chattering
on. The charge lasts months, though I recharge it once a month. I
therefore think that what you want to use this phone on your tour for
determines whether you will need to recharge it even once, and thus
whether these contortions will be necessary. If you're just making
daily or weekly calls to say, "Hey, I'm still going strong, g'bye,"
you probably won't need to go to the bother of a dynamo recharger.

Good luck.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Old June 24th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:10:35 +0200, Simon Lewis wrote:

Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from a
hub dynamo?

Does your mobile have a charger for an automobile? If so, then you need
to find a suitable way of converting the output from your hub dynamo to
something like the 12-14 volt dc output from a car battery to feed it
into your automobile charger.

If your hub dynamo is already 12 volt then a simple rectifier is all that
is needed. If your hub is the more common 6 volt variety, then a simple
voltage doubler will be required.

Stephen Bauman
Old June 24th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Stephen Bauman writes:

[...]

Yes. But where is the product I can buy? What is a simple rectifier?
Old June 24th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Simon Lewis wrote:
Stephen Bauman writes:

[...]

I don't think there is one you can buy. It's easy enough to make one,
you'd need a full-wave rectifier, capacitor & voltage regulator, all can
be purchased from Radio Shack.

If you're not an electrical engineer (I am, but still would probably not
go DIY), you could go with a battery powered USB charger box that uses
standard (AA) cells, and either buy alkaline batteries, or use
rechargeables and recharge them from your dynamo. Peter White sells such
a charger, but only for 6V dynamos. That's assuming you've got a USB phone.
Old June 24th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Stephen Bauman wrote:

Does your mobile have a charger for an automobile? If so, then you need
to find a suitable way of converting the output from your hub dynamo to
something like the 12-14 volt dc output from a car battery to feed it
into your automobile charger.

This is a bad way to do it. Most phone batteries are 3.7 volt
lithium-ion batteries which can be charged from a 5V source and there
are USB charging cables specifically for this purpose.

Don't use a linear regulator to go from the 8.5VDC nominal voltage out
of the bridge rectifier down to 5VDC because you'll be losing more than
40% of the power output of the dynamo as heat, leaving insufficient
current to charge the phone.

You need something like a Meanwell DCW05A-05 plus a bridge rectifier and
filter caps between the dynamo and the converter. Even though the input
is 9V, rather than the 8.5V you'll get out of a rectified 6VAC/3W
dynamo, in reality the dynamo will put out a higher voltage at higher
speeds, so it'll work except when going really slow.
Old June 24th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:40:42 +0200, Simon Lewis
wrote:

Stephen Bauman writes:

[...]

The electronic design aspect of this is pretty trivial. Designing something that
is convenient and absolutely, positively guaranteed to not **** up your cell
phone or charger regardless of what generator you use or how you hook it up and
then have enough of a market to make manufacture worthwhile is difficult.

It might be worthwhile to design for some particular dynamo with reasonably
standard connectors and a large installed base of tourists. Charging notebook
computers and GPS devices would be other applications.

Just what hub dynamo do you have? Got specs? How does it connect? Might be worth
an experiment.
Old June 24th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...rolas_bike.php

Cateye ABS-30 charger? John Hearns UK 1 September 29th 11 05:45 PM
iPod charger elyob UK 1 December 6th 05 01:29 PM
Cateye ABS charger John Hearns UK 0 November 8th 05 10:28 AM
WTB: NiteRider Ni-Cd charger John M Marketplace 2 October 28th 04 04:33 PM
Battery Charger Bob Chambers Australia 3 December 4th 03 12:14 PM