Chorus cassette question

Old June 30th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chorus cassette question

I just replaced the chain on my bike. The new chain is an Interloc 10 speed
chain replacing a Konnex chain on a Chorus drivetrain. It had been three
years, but probably no more than 4,000 miles on the bike. I was half
prepared to need to replace the cassette too, but am pleasantly surprised to
find it shifts smooth as buttah.

The question is: would a cheaper cassette (such as the Veloce my LBS has
offered) have lasted as long? And when it does come time to replace the
cassette, for 13 grams weight savings I can't see spending the extra $100
CAD for Chorus over Veloce or Athena 10 speed. Would extra durability be
enough of a plus?

--
Snippy "Jim Flom" Bobkins

Old June 30th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Snippy Bobkins wrote:
I just replaced the chain on my bike. The new chain is an Interloc 10 speed
chain replacing a Konnex chain on a Chorus drivetrain. It had been three
years, but probably no more than 4,000 miles on the bike. I was half
prepared to need to replace the cassette too, but am pleasantly surprised to
find it shifts smooth as buttah.

The question is: would a cheaper cassette (such as the Veloce my LBS has
offered) have lasted as long? And when it does come time to replace the
cassette, for 13 grams weight savings I can't see spending the extra $100
CAD for Chorus over Veloce or Athena 10 speed. Would extra durability be
enough of a plus?

--
Snippy "Jim Flom" Bobkins

According to Campy, the cogs are the same material/machining, Chorus
down to Veloce IIRC, the difference is that Chorus utilizes carriers.

Athena 10s? You mean Centaur (erstwhile Daytona)?

D'ohBoy

Old July 1st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote ...

See above, use the least expensive, compatible cogset and chain...for
these consummables. Same for tires...WAY too much $ spent on less
reliable tires for a wee bit of weight savings, and questionable
rolling resisitence reduction, the 'holy grail' of tires. Why anybody
would spring for $50 racing tires for recreational riding is beyond
me..but they do and buy Record/DA cogsets as well...

Good word on the tires, too. Thanks Peter. I have ex-teammate from out
east that used to race on cheap tires all the time and dominate. He'd whine
and bitch and moan about the prices of tires and pump cheap tires up to 180
psi and kick everybody's a**.
--
Snippy