9 speed STI with 10 speed RD Shimano

Old May 22nd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cycledogg

Default 9 speed STI with 10 speed RD Shimano

Hello,
I need to replace my Shimano 7700 9 speed RD and would like to know
how well the new 7800 10 speed RD works with the 7700 9 speed STI.
Will the 7800 RD shift as well as the 7700? Will it be hard to adjust
to shift right? I know it claims to work with 9 speed but would like
to hear from those who have used this set up.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

Old May 22nd 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert[_2_]

"cycledogg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I need to replace my Shimano 7700 9 speed RD and would like to know
how well the new 7800 10 speed RD works with the 7700 9 speed STI.
Will the 7800 RD shift as well as the 7700? Will it be hard to adjust
to shift right? I know it claims to work with 9 speed but would like
to hear from those who have used this set up.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

I believe it will work fine...
I have 7 9-speed roadbikes that will eventually need to be upgraded to
10-speed. Fortunately, I need to simply change the shifters, chains and
cassettes. There is only about a $20 difference in the wholesale price
between 9 and 10 speed Dura Ace shifters. I believe that is because the last
production run on the shifters use solid gold internal mechanisms and
platinum bar clamps. Don't forget that the rubber hoods are from organically
grown latex. LoL....

Bruce

Old May 22nd 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

Works fine, not a problem. It's all about the geometry of the
derailleur.
The 9 & 10 speed are identical in this respect
----------------
Alex

Old May 23rd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On May 22, 5:22 pm, RS wrote:
In article
I've used 8 speed RDs on 9 speed groups, works fine. A 10 speed
newer derailleur will have no issues in a 9 speed group. Rear
derailleurs aren't indexed and shifting is dependant on cassette and
shifters.

You need to be careful with 8spd, and older, Dura-Ace derailleurs.
Their geometry was different than the rest of the Shimano line,
so you must match up those derailleurs with matching shifters.
9spd and later Dura-Ace uses the same geometry as the rest
of the Shimano line, so you can mix and match.
Alex