Jeanne Golay

Old September 25th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Default Jeanne Golay

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling...ad.2C_57_km.29

-ilan

http://velonews.com/galleries/Brinton/image5.html ?
Old September 25th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote in message

Here's an interesting question: Why was Katrin Tobin relegated from
her 3rd place in the 1987 Pan Am games?

-ilan

Apparently, this is difficult to look up on the web. Anyway, there was
a rule disallowing medal sweeps by one nation (USA women finished
1-2-3) so they relegated her to 4th and another nation got the bronze
medal.

-ilan

Ah, ok. She is still recorded as 3rd! Sara Neil is from Canada, for a
minute
I was thinking another American took 4th!

Dude,

You should be focusing on Sara. Not to take anything away from Katrin, but
Sara was hotter.

Memory lane...
http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Temp-3/

Old September 25th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Les Earnest

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
I talked with Peter Nye a while back from the cycling hall of fame. I joked
that USAC might have a gold mine of info left over from USCF, which started
in one office in New York I think before it moved to Colorado. But Peter
joke, oh you think so! Peter once had access to USCF early days stats from
races when he wrote his book. He said those years, 70's and 80's were often
filed and recorded on little 3 by 5 score cards and filed away in shoe
boxes, and not only incomplete, but very hard to look stuff up. He said in
those days recording was very poor combined with getting results from races
all over the USA. He said you might find yourself quite disappointed once
you enter those archives, at least for those years. Velonews archives would
be the premiere source, their news and race reports date back to the early
70's.

Actually I kept the USCF records in my computer from 1977 to 1985 but
was unable to interest any of the staff in maintaining them. Sometime
around 1980 a Southern California rider who passed away bequeathed his
cycling document collection to USCF and I managed to make copies of some
of it. However that collection was stored in the basement at Colorado
Springs and short time later a flood wiped it out.

Meanwhile I have every issue of VeloNews that was ever published, which
I keep in my basement and hope that the termites don't find them. I
learned yesterday that the Stanford computer where I have stored many
historical USCF documents is going down in a week or so, so I plan to
export a lot of those files in a hurry. Unfortunately some of the file
formats are no longer understood by modern software, so the details of
history continue to slip away.

-Les Earnest
Old September 26th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

"Les Earnest" wrote in message

[...]

That's an pretty wild story to say the least. But your Velonews archives
should hold nearly everything of interest. For the rest of the world, their
decades of UK Cycling Weekly, half a dozen other cycling mags from Italy,
France, Holland, etc. holds the results and articles of the rest of the
world. I know someone who has them as well as Velonews. He has a five room
apartment, and all five rooms and his basement are full of shelves of these
mags. He sleeps in one small room, and that room is starting to collect
cycling mags. However your 70-80's stuff is cool. This guy only started in
the 80's!

B-

Old September 26th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

You should be focusing on Sara. Not to take anything away from Katrin, but
Sara was hotter.

Wait a minute - at the time she was racing so was Inga Thompson and Rebecca
Twigg both of whom would grow hair on an egg and make raw bread dough grow
erect.

Old September 26th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Les Earnest wrote:

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
[...]

Les: what kind of file format problems are there? I mean, I'm not gonna
lecture the creator of finger about file formats, but there is this
thing called awk, and I have messed around with it.

I have to assume these are some evil packed binary format that is now
unreadable, or maybe they're in WordPerfect 1.0 or whatnot. It can be
dealt with.

If there's a particular technical issue I might be able to help with,
let me know,

Old September 26th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Sep 25, 6:23 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Les Earnest wrote:

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
[...]

Dumbass -

That's cool that you can do some of that stuff, but a big problem over
the long run that's difficult to solve is the inherent long term
instability of digital media.

You got any solutions for it? I'm sure there are plenty of ideas out
there, but as far as implementing them cost effectively . . .

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old September 26th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

You should be focusing on Sara. Not to take anything away from Katrin,

but
Sara was hotter.

Wait a minute - at the time she was racing so was Inga Thompson and

Rebecca
Twigg both of whom would grow hair on an egg and make raw bread dough grow
erect.

Besides Twigg, its Golay that has the incredibly consistent remarkable
palmares. Inga's were good too.

Old September 26th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Dan Connelly" wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling...ad.2C_57_km.29

-ilan

http://velonews.com/galleries/Brinton/image5.html ?

Not the same David Brinton.

http://www.ridingtowin.com/

Old September 26th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote in message
news

You should be focusing on Sara. Not to take anything away from Katrin,
but
Sara was hotter.

Memory lane...
http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Temp-3/

Petra Grimberger http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Temp-...y-Years-32.jpg
was a hottie too, but definitely overshadowed by LvM.

I see you still are lacking pictures of Annette Neumann. Must be in an East
German archive somewhere.