Bottle holder

Old May 28th 19, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bottle holder

On 5/28/2019 5:34 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 14:09:00 -0400,
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:19:46 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

I deeply regret leaving our hand-crank pencil sharpener behind
when we moved. There's a pencil sharpener in the laundry room,
but it's a newer model of very poor quality. When I want to
sharpen a #2 pencil, I use my spouse's electric. Not as
precise as a hand crank, but it's there. And I'm not fussy
about my #2 pencils.

I second this! My mother had a hand crank sharpener that was
ancient when I was young--well over 50 years ago. Nothing I've
come across since did even half as well as that remarkable
machine.

+1, although the ancient ones I remember were in school, not at home.
Standards seem to have fallen.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 28th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 28 May 2019 08:20:56 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 28/05/2019 12:10 a.m., Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:58:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Yes, John's suggestion is a good example of ignoring Occam's first
requirement that you have multiple actual solutions. g

But, it is simply the simplest solution. Which, I suppose is proof
positive that cyclists prefer complex answers for simple problems :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 28th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Remember to bring a faucet key. It expands the number of available water
sources
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/046224/046224206200.jpg.

Obviously, you're not into urban post apocalypse survival hardware.
Any minimally competent urban survivalist would know that there are
several styles and sizes of such keys. Even the local homeless carry
them. What you should be recommending is a Sillcock key:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=4+way+sillcock+key
http://letstalksurvival.com/sillcock-keys-and-other-cross-keys-what-are-they-for/
For the very best, I suggest a 10 way version:
https://www.amazon.com/CAIDU-Multifunctional-Universal-Control-Wrenches/dp/B071YKX8HN
Unfortunately, few such keys offer the common garden spigot handles in
12 and 16pt, which needs to be purchased separately:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-16-pt-Round-Valve-Wheel-Handle-80417/203675124
https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-01-5097-Outside-Faucet-Handle/dp/B001XWFIO2
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 28th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:42:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/28/2019 2:19 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 00:11:40 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:48:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

Except when I'm home in my grubbies and have an assortment of knives
to choose from.

I usually sharpen pencils with an "Exacto" scalpel. A whetstone works
fine on it; I've been using the same blade for decades.

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

Funny you should ask. In the folder on the desk in front of me is a
design I did all in pencil. I worked on it in various places at various
times, and it progressed gradually from sketches to more formal drawings.

I was once considered a very good draftsman, including descriptive
geometry, and ended up teaching a few advanced drafting courses. But CAD
has devalued that skill.

I've done some designs using 3D modeling (mostly the free SketchUp
software). It's got its uses, but I still prefer the freedom of pencil
and paper.

In his book _The Pencil_, Henry Petroski tells of Thoreau carefully
listing every single item he planned to take to his famous getaway cabin
by Walden Pond. But as Petroski noted, Thoreau omitted one very
important one: the pencil with which he was writing the list! The
lesson? Pencils get no respect.

Pretty good book, BTW. Who knew Thoreau was a materials engineer?

My father was somewhat like that. When he'd decide that he wanted to
build a new barn or a workshop he'd come home from work and go out and
sit on a rock, or a stump, or something, and just stare at the place
that the new building was to be. He'd do that for maybe a week or
maybe a month and than start to dig the foundation and lo and behold
the building would be the right shape and size and fit his needs
perfectly.

One of his "innovations" was a "round roof" a roof that was
essentially half a cylinder. This gave some pitch to the roof so the
snow would fall off and a much larger space under the roof, the upper
story so to speak, than the usually hip roof design. To ensure that he
never had to actually get up and sweep the snow off the roof he
sheeted the roof in aluminum and it worked.

The building is still there and still being used some 70 years later
:-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 28th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Yes, John's suggestion is a good example of ignoring Occam's first
requirement that you have multiple actual solutions. g

But, it is simply the simplest solution. Which, I suppose is proof
positive that cyclists prefer complex answers for simple problems :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

She doesn’t have a pocket available so it is not a solution at all. That
was my point.

--
duane
Old May 28th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

I deeply regret leaving our hand-crank pencil sharpener behind when we
moved. There's a pencil sharpener in the laundry room, but it's a
newer model of very poor quality. When I want to sharpen a #2 pencil,
I use my spouse's electric. Not as precise as a hand crank, but it's
there. And I'm not fussy about my #2 pencils.

I bought the kids an electric pencil sharpener when they were in grade
school. A major mistake as an electrical pencil sharpener will eat an
entire pencil in less than a minute and is "fun" to use.

After about a week of use, and buying new pencils by the gross, I
changed over to several of those little "pencil sharpeners" that you
twist round and round with your fingers and gave each kid one or two -
"here, your very own pencil sharpener" :-)

The iron-on pencil, the nonce pencil, and the crayon pencils take more
care.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 29th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:42:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I was once considered a very good draftsman, including descriptive
geometry, and ended up teaching a few advanced drafting courses. But CAD
has devalued that skill.

Totally. None of the kids, nieces or nephews, including one "engineer"
had any interest in taking over any of our manual drafting kits. It will
become landfill.
Old May 29th 19, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

All five of my pockets are fully occupied with vital stuff. And I
have two bottle cages. Sometimes I have to keep a third bottle in a
pannier, because water sources keep vanishing.

Remember to bring a faucet key. It expands the number of available water
sources
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/046224/046224206200.jpg.

Obviously, you're not into urban post apocalypse survival hardware.

Yes, I have one of the faucet keys with four different heads, but nearly
all the faucets I've run into use the one I posted. Sometimes there's a
drinking fountain with a weak stream, and a keyed faucet below. It's a
lot easier to use the faucet.
Old May 29th 19, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

https://tinyurl.com/yyfu424h

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 29th 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/28/2019 6:17 PM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:42:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I was once considered a very good draftsman, including descriptive
geometry, and ended up teaching a few advanced drafting courses. But CAD
has devalued that skill.

Totally. None of the kids, nieces or nephews, including one "engineer"
had any interest in taking over any of our manual drafting kits. It will
become landfill.

Well as an EE I can say that I greatly prefer doing schematics using a
CAD system and doing board layouts online instead of with black tape on
mylar. Export the layout to a board house and receive boards within 3
days if done domestically, and within 2 weeks, and much cheaper, if sent
to Shenzhen.

With Windows Ink and an active stylus, it's even better.

But I still have my drafting kit. No one wants it. Or a slide rule.