Customs - what's the limit/threshold?

Old June 1st 05, 01:24 AM
LotteBum

Default Customs - what's the limit/threshold?

How much do you have to spend on overseas shopping before Customs hi
you up for tax?

I spent $229 last week and still haven't received my package. A
getting a little anxious.

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Old June 1st 05, 01:58 AM
byron27

LotteBum Wrote:
How much do you have to spend on overseas shopping before Customs hi
you up for tax?

I spent $229 last week and still haven't received my package. A
getting a little anxious.

LotteBumFrom Feb 1 the threshold was raised from $400. Im not totally sure wha

it was raised too. The figure of $900 is in my mind though

Either way your $229 isnt significant and shouldn't have any problems
Im ordering stuff from probikekit every other month for totals mor
than that and i have never been pulled up

--
byron2

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old June 1st 05, 02:18 AM
Absent Husband

Lotte - work on $250 as the limit for internet orders before Customs
gets interested. That's just a rough guide, though...

Byron27 - That $900 is for passengers only (ie. accompanied luggage).
There is a catch in the recent increase, though (as always!). If you go
over your $900 in "goodies purchased overseas & duty free stuff
purchased beforeyou go" (combined), then you pay the applicable
duty/GST on the ENTIRE AMOUNT (not just on the goods that take you over
the $900 limit). That is - if you bring over a set of $1000 wheels -
duty/GST is calculated & payable on $1000, but if you bring over a set
of $900 wheels (& nothing else) then you pay NO duty/GST.

Absent Husband (disclaimer, disclaimer...)

Old June 1st 05, 04:11 AM
SteveA

Absent Husband Wrote:
Lotte - work on $250 as the limit for internet orders before Custom
gets interested. That's just a rough guide, though..

Byron27 - That $900 is for passengers only (ie. accompanied luggage)
There is a catch in the recent increase, though (as always!). If you g
over your $900 in "goodies purchased overseas & duty free stuf
purchased beforeyou go" (combined), then you pay the applicabl
duty/GST on the ENTIRE AMOUNT (not just on the goods that take you ove
the $900 limit). That is - if you bring over a set of $1000 wheels
duty/GST is calculated & payable on $1000, but if you bring over a se
of $900 wheels (& nothing else) then you pay NO duty/GST

Absent Husband (disclaimer, disclaimer...)

The explanation is here

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=437

Its a bit detailed but it is a good explanation of the rules. You wil
see that duty is higher on some things such as clothing and footwear, s
you may not be able to bring in as much of those before paying duty. I
practice I have found Customs to be pretty good and err on the generou
side if anything, when values are close to the relevant limits

Steve(never paid duty on imported bike bits and pieces)

--
SteveA

Old June 1st 05, 04:20 AM
suzyj

She with lots of bum wrote:

How much do you have to spend on overseas shopping
before Customs hit you up for tax?

I spent $229 last week and still haven't received my package.
Am getting a little anxious.

I'd guess the threshhold is about $500. I've made heaps of purchese
around the $300-400 range, and never been charged anything by custom
(except once, when the package arrived by DHL). However, last week,
received a rack (tubus stainless), some cranks (TA triple) and a Phi
bottom bracket (total cost of $700 Aus, and copped GST of $70.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old June 1st 05, 06:03 AM
Absent Husband

Hey suzyj,

There is a Customs by-law whereby we waive payment of duty/GST is if
the total payable is less than $50. But we collect the whole lot if the
total payable is above $50 (make sense??)...

So assuming that only GST is payable (ie duty is at 0%), then $500
would indeed be the threshold amount for internet purchases....

Cheers,
Absent Husband (disclaimer, disclaimer...)

Old June 1st 05, 06:19 AM
till!

suzyj Wrote:
I'd guess the threshhold is about $500. I've made heaps of purchese
around the $300-400 range, and never been charged anything by custom
(except once, when the package arrived by DHL). However, last week,
received a rack (tubus stainless), some cranks (TA triple) and a Phi
bottom bracket (total cost of $700 Aus, and copped GST of $70.

Glad to hear you got punished for PW/TA/Tubus ... but only because yo
got it, and not me :

Ive gone as far as $550 - $575 and not copped GST, via mail. Yo
pretty much always get scragged when you go via courier though

til

ps: concur w/Tubus, I got the cromo ones though after my ali blacburn
disintegrated

--
till!

Old June 1st 05, 06:37 AM
suzyj

Till wrote:

Glad to hear you got punished for PW/TA/Tubus ... but
only because you got it, and not me :P

I was perfectly happy to pay the GST. On the whole, I'm probabl
averaging 1-2% GST on all the stuff I've bought, so who am I t
complain.

As for the kit I bought, the rack is absolutely gorgeous. I'm als
really impressed with the TA cranks. Very nice kit. I usually bu
Campy Chorus, but I'm thinking of building a tandem in the future, an
TA make a tandem version of the Alize crankset, so I thought it'd b
nice to see what the TA cranks are like.

Cheers,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old June 1st 05, 06:54 AM
till!

suzyj Wrote:
As for the kit I bought, the rack is absolutely gorgeous. I'm als
really impressed with the TA cranks. Very nice kit. I usually buy Camp
Chorus, but I'm thinking of building a tandem in the future, and TA mak
a tandem version of the Alize crankset, so I thought it'd be nice to se
what the TA cranks are like.

Yeah the TA sure looks nice im heeding the financial imperatives t
avoid it however. Perhaps a nice red set of hourus rings for my curren
bike =

My partner always wanted a tandem ... well until she worked out tha
whilst she may be able to watch me, Id have both the brakes AND th
steering

til

--
till!

customs duties on imported bike Ted Techniques 3 November 29th 04 10:41 PM
HM Customs & Excise - Duty and VAT on Bicycles?? Lee Bales UK 4 August 2nd 04 04:42 PM
customs duty cm Australia 4 April 6th 04 01:16 PM
Probikekit & Customs NickZX6R Australia 14 December 23rd 03 09:31 PM
Mail Order Bike Gear flynn Australia 13 December 8th 03 11:16 PM