Greater Allegheny Passageway

Old June 2nd 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_10_]

Default Greater Allegheny Passageway

I am trying to plan a trip where I will fly to Washington, D.C. and then
catch an Amtrak to Pittsburgh before starting south on the Greater Allegheny
Passageway. I need some info on how to get from the Amtrak station to the
trail going toward McKeesport.

Has anyone here done this ride?

thanks.

Old June 11th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bob Clemons

Pat wrote:

I am trying to plan a trip where I will fly to Washington, D.C. and then
catch an Amtrak to Pittsburgh before starting south on the Greater Allegheny
Passageway. I need some info on how to get from the Amtrak station to the
trail going toward McKeesport.

Has anyone here done this ride?

thanks.

I rode from downtown Pittsburgh to the Passageway in McKeesport in 2006
as part of a larger ride. It can be tricky. I received some invaluable
route help from a local cyclist. You might be able to piece it together
using google maps and my description he

http://officebears.com/cycling/touri...y10_03Jul.html

I recommend you try to do this on a weekend. I did it on a Monday, but
it was the Monday before a Tuesday July 4th, so rush hour traffic was
unusually light.

I did something like this:

From the station go west like one block to 10th St.
Take 10th St./Wm. Penn Place south to Blvd of the Allies.
Go east a block or so and look for a bike path under the highway (to
your right, between you and the river).
Get on the bike path heading east (this is the Ezra Furnace Trail--it
runs between the lanes of I376 for a while).
This trail suddenly ends in a parking lot, follow the arrows around onto
PA 885 and continue in the same direction.
Still on 885, cross the Glenwood bridge.
Across the bridge you want to get onto 837 heading east. If you took the
sidewalk you can climb down the stairs, o/w you have to work your way
through a complex intersection.
Stay on 837 through Homestead and Duquesne.
Cross the river again on the McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge.
Turn right onto PA 148 and ride through McKeesport.
Turn left on Walnut St (staying on 148).
Turn left onto the 15th Street Bridge and cross the river (the Yough).
Take the first left to drop down onto River Road. Turn right on River Road.
River Road ends at a gate. Just before the end there is a gravel path
brancinh off to the right. That's the path.
Good luck.

-bob
Old June 11th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_10_]

Thanks, man! This is just what I was looking for!

Pat in TX

Old June 11th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bob Clemons

No problem. Also, I noticed an error in my posting.

In McKeesport, you must turn right onto the 15th Street bridge, not
left. It would probably be obvious.

-bob