High ratio climbing gears

Old May 21st 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default High ratio climbing gears

On 5/20/2019 6:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 5:12:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 4:09:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

So I will have to get a conversion set of 11 speed Campy to go to a gear set that large and that is now so expensive that I will have to weight a long time.

I have gone over the "official" large cog size on a few different cassettes and rear derailleurs and never had any problems. Just remember to never use big-big or small-small. Not difficult.

You're looking for a 10 speed Campagnolo cassette with 32 teeth. OK. Campagnolo does make a 30 tooth cassette. Tiny bit better than 29. Not 32, but...

The Miche Primato cassette is 10 speed and Campagnolo compatible. Its available in 13-30. Since your mechanic is against IRD / Interloc Racing Design.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/campagnolo-centaur-10-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod89134?gs=1&sku=sku468398&pgrid=54137515364&pta id=pla-431322560060&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campa ign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|sU6ivRhB2_dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd |468398US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6IiZxv-q4gIVg8DACh2rCA8LEAQYAyABEgIhLfD_BwE

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/miche-primato-10-speed-cassette-campagnolo/rp-prod152804?gs=1&sku=sku556861&pgrid=54137515364&pt aid=pla-432746137323&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campa ign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|sKz1DblpO_dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd |556861US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxNva3YGr4gIVDb7ACh3g7g T2EAQYASABEgKb_PD_BwE

Also should have stated that with Campagnolo, the left/front Ergo shifter does not care about double or triple chainrings. So its easy to just put on a triple crank if you need low gears. I have my mountain climbing bike setup with Veloce 9 speed triple crank (74mm inner bcd so it has a 24 tooth inner ring) and 13-28 cassette. 24x28 low gear is low enough for unloaded mountain climbing.

Oh man thanks for that! I'll have to check the inner bcd on my 9-speed Veloce triple circa 2001 and see if I can put a 24 ring on it. It'd sure beat the 30 that's on t here now.

It's 74mm.
24, 26, 28, 30 are plentiful and cheap.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 20 May 2019 16:41:23 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:02:48 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 20 May 2019 10:30:17 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Well, due to continuous nagging from my brother and GCN making a lot of claims and how much trouble I had at the Grizzly Peak Century I decided to go from my 29 large cog to a 32.

Well, Campy doesn't make an 11-32 or anything else with a 32 for that matter. These are common on Shimano and SR 10 speed bikes.

I finally discovered that Interlock makes a 10 speed 11-32 and went to several shops who couldn't get that gear.

Finally I went to Robinson's Wheel Works only 2 miles from my home. Chris really is a knowledgeable mechanic and when I said what I wanted he said to NOT buy Interloc anything because they don't shift properly and wear out rapidly.

He also said that the Campy rear derailleur wouldn't shift anything larger than a 29. I told him that I was getting a mid-length rear derailleur and he said that it still wouldn't shift a gear lower than 29.

Then it occurred to me that I had seen that problem on a Campy triple I had built. If you get the chain length correct the upper arms doesn't have enough motion to lift out of the way of anything larger than a 28. If you pull a link out it CAN shift a 29.

So I will have to get a conversion set of 11 speed Campy to go to a gear set that large and that is now so expensive that I will have to weight a long time.

Or just buy Shimano that will shift a larger cog :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Isn't the pull ratio on Shimano and Campy different?

Cheers

I was probably a bit obscure. I meant junk that Italian stuff that
won't shift the big cogs and get the good Japanese stuff that will :-)
The whole kit and caboodle!

(Remember Pearl Harbor!)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:46:08 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Now if my old school Deore cranksets circa 1985 have that 74mm bcd then I'm really in luck as I have a number of those cranksets with almost new condition rings on them.

Thanks and cheers
Old May 21st 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

But both my 9-speed Mirage and my 9-speed Veloce (circa 2001) WILL shift up to a 32 teeth Shimano or SRAM 9-speed cog with no problem at all. It's what I use on one of my touring bikes.

Cheers
Old May 21st 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I have never used any Campy gear but my experience with Shimano stuff
is that it is pretty easy, at least on road bike cassettes, to add or
subtract cogs. I presently have what I bought as a 11 - 30 (10 speed)
cassette that I changed to a 12-32 cassette by adding a 32 tooth
sprocket - with the proper width spacer - and leaving off the 11
tooth (smallest) sprocket. I've also built up complete cassettes using
loose sprockets and at least on 9 and 10 speed sets the difference in
only in the spacers between the sprockets.

I built a 13 - 25, 9 speed, especially for Bangkok riding as Bangkok
is generally flat with occasional "fly overs" or "hump-backed"
bridges. I always thought that a 17 - 25 cassette would be just the
thing, but I could never locate all the sprockets
(17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25).
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I like Shimano cassettes for that reason too. I have one 9-speed cassette I built for fun. It's an 11 - 19 teeth corncob one. I get a lot of fun riding it on some of the gently rolling hills of some of the routes I ride here. Btw, that 11 - 19 corncob is on an MTB converted to dropbar with bar end shifters and with 1.5" slicks tires.

Cheers
Old May 21st 19, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I've probably mentioned it before but I "salvaged" an old MTB that I
had on the boat (or on the dock) for quite a few years. It was a very
nice aluminum frame and a lot of rust by the time I sold the boat and
salvaged the bike. I built it up into what might be called a 26" road
bike as I came across an aluminum fork to replace the old MTB fork
which was rusted solid. I tried it for a while with flat bars and
finally changed it to "drop" bars and a set of old 9 speed Brifters.
I don't remember the tires I used but they were the narrowest that
would fit the original rims.

I finally gave it to a good friend and he is still riding it.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, those MTB to drop bar conversions can be a fantastic bike and ride. I love mine. I've done a number of such conversions and just gave one to a neighbour the other day.

Cheers
Old May 21st 19, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 6:37:34 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

My crank is Centaur. Early mid 2000s. Positive that is roughly the time I got the frame its on. Inner bolt circle diameter is 74mm. Takes down to a 24 tooth ring. Crank originally came with 52-42-30 rings. Veloce ergo shifters and Veloce long cage rear derailleur. Running 9 speed 13-28 cassette.
Old May 21st 19, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:07:32 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I'd bet money on a mid 1980s Deore crank having 110mm bcd outer and middle rings and 74mm bcd inner ring. My 1991 Deore DX crankset on my ancient (no longer in use) Trek 520 touring bike had Deore DX crank with 50-45-28 rings new. Trek's idiotic attempt to make a half step granny touring setup. Eventually I changed it to 48-45-24 rings. And now its 44-33-20 rings. Perfect loaded touring crankset. Used the Avid Microdaptor-2 to get the inner down to 20 teeth!

http://www.bikepro.com/products/cran...-bolts-c.shtml

Can Too High Gears be Lowered on SRAM Dualdrive? Artemisia General 21 May 13th 08 03:19 PM
Can Too High Gears be Lowered on SRAM Dualdrive? Artemisia UK 21 May 13th 08 03:19 PM
Climbing gears graham Techniques 53 October 19th 07 10:09 PM
How important is gear ratio to climbing? Preston Crawford General 10 July 28th 04 05:25 AM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 04:06 PM