Standard steer tube length on threadless fork?

Old November 2nd 04, 04:38 PM
Art Harris

Default Standard steer tube length on threadless fork?

Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what is it?

Art Harris
Old November 2nd 04, 06:29 PM
John Rees

"Art Harris" wrote in message
om...
| Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what
is it?

Kind of depends on the frame size. Obviously a 48cm frame is gonna have
a smaller head tune than a 62.

Old November 2nd 04, 06:43 PM
do not spam

"Art Harris" wrote in message
om...
| Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what
| is it?

The main reason that bike manufacturers switched to threadless forks is that
there is no standard threaded fork steerer length. They had to stock many
different sizes of each fork to match different frame sizes and geometries.
Threadless forks reduce their costs.
Old November 2nd 04, 07:25 PM
Diablo Scott

do not spam wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
om...
| Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what
| is it?

The main reason that bike manufacturers switched to threadless forks is that
there is no standard threaded fork steerer length. They had to stock many
different sizes of each fork to match different frame sizes and geometries.
Threadless forks reduce their costs.

Twaddle.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old November 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
Harris

Art Harris wrote:
Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what is it?

Art Harris

Drat, I said it right on the subject line, but not in the text. I was
asking about THREADLESS forks.

Art Harris
Old November 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 21:00:39 GMT, Harris
wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what is it?

Art Harris

Drat, I said it right on the subject line, but not in the text. I was
asking about THREADLESS forks.

Still "no".

Look at the steerer lengths available from various makers. They range
from less than 200mm to more than 300mm. The manufacturers *could*
just make all the tubes really long and let the installer shorten them
as needed, but they don't...and as a result, when you need a really
long steerer (as I did last month when building up a bike on a 23"
Schwinn mtb frame) it can be a pain in the neck to find one.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 3rd 04, 01:00 AM
Pete Biggs

Art Harris wrote:

Do thread[less] forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so,
what is it?

300 mm is common.

~PB

Old November 3rd 04, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

n2h Do threaded forks have a standard uncut steer tube length? If so, what is
it? BRBR

260mm generally.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 3rd 04, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

diablo writes The main reason that bike manufacturers switched to threadless
forks is that
there is no standard threaded fork steerer length. They had to stock many
different sizes of each fork to match different frame sizes and geometries.
Threadless forks reduce their costs.

Twaddle.

Only reason for threadless, in the early 90s, was to reduce cost. They painted
it as some sort of superior system but it was to be able to not thread and
produce one steerer for all forks.

-- BRBR

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

FS: 55cm Colnago Super frame and fork Frank Marketplace 0 October 1st 04 06:34 AM
head tube length Doug Noren Techniques 0 January 31st 04 04:14 AM
Columbus Muscle fork: Feedback Please Rik O'Shea Techniques 12 December 28th 03 04:32 AM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM
Threadless Steering Tube Extensions? Bruni Techniques 3 August 28th 03 12:53 AM