Trek 750 frame

Old March 13th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
N9NEO

Default Trek 750 frame

I just found a trek multitrack frame with no wheels and no seat. It
was in the basement of my apartment complex near the storage area. It
was sitting on the floor in a common area for a couple of months. I
watched it and finally decided I might be able to do something with
it. It has the crank, pedals, gear derailler and brakes.derailler and
crank are called sun tour.

Would it be worth it to buy rims seat and tires for a bike that I
could use? (assuming bicycle will fit me of course.) I would think
that since most parts are there I could probably buy used rims and
seat and have a decent bike. Maybe somebody upgrades their wheels and
has some used rims to sell. My last bike was a fuji road bike that I
got out of next door peoples trash and put new rubber on for a song.

regards,
NEO

Old March 13th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
futrino

N9NEO wrote:
I just found a trek multitrack frame with no wheels and no seat. It
was in the basement of my apartment complex near the storage area. It
was sitting on the floor in a common area for a couple of months. I
watched it and finally decided I might be able to do something with
it. It has the crank, pedals, gear derailler and brakes.derailler and
crank are called sun tour.

Would it be worth it to buy rims seat and tires for a bike that I
could use? (assuming bicycle will fit me of course.) I would think
that since most parts are there I could probably buy used rims and
seat and have a decent bike. Maybe somebody upgrades their wheels and
has some used rims to sell. My last bike was a fuji road bike that I
got out of next door peoples trash and put new rubber on for a song.

regards,
NEO

I have the older trek multitrack 700, some of those had a regular
deraileur hanger, (which mine does), others had the older axle bolt on
deraileur.

I really like this bike as my commuter, I have upgraded all the parts,
even broke the frame and had it welded. It only broke after 8 years of
complete abuse, off road trails, jumps and crashes, I even threw it
over my head once.

anyhow, the bottom bracket is really high, So mine is 46cm, or 18" c-c
and I am 5'8" and it has a 30.5" standover.

check NYCBIKES for strong commuter pothole absorbing wheels. about $100
Mine are still true after 2 seasons. something I have not been able to
say after
4 other seasons and rear wheels.

also the crankset has really small gearing for a 700c bike. I replaced
my 42-32-22 with a 39-53 I am not sure of the spacing of the rear
hub, my frame broke right behind the bottom bracket area, so now it is
welded with 135mm spacing. It might have contributed to the frame
breaking that I shoved too wide a hub in the back.

blah
dan

Old March 13th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
futrino

futrino wrote:

N9NEO wrote:

[...]

When I replaced the seat and seatpost, it cut 1.5 pounds off the weight.
also my handlebar was an unbelievably heavy piece of metal.
the 750 is a little newer so probably not so bad.