A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

27 inch vs. 700 cm

Old July 25th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau
external usenet poster

Default 27 inch vs. 700 cm

Son bent fork beyond repair.

Bike shop guy says he can't find a fork to fit.

How much difference does fourteen millimeters make? (Yeah, I know, half
an inch)

Must be some place around that still has 27"

But maybe he should start over, as he is 6'4" and really needs a higher
seat and handlebars.

--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
very intelligent person could believe in them.
— George Orwell

Ads
Old July 25th 13, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/24/2013 10:15 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

How much difference does fourteen millimeters make? (Yeah,
I know, half an inch)

But maybe he should start over, as he is 6'4" and really
needs a higher seat and handlebars.

It's 700C as in A, B, C (not centimeters. Actual seat is 622mm).

A 27" fork is not a rare thing but they top out at about 250
or 260mm from base of crown seat to top of thread. Check that.

Also, brake clearance varies so you need to either know
brand/year/model or measure it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old July 25th 13, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

there are thousands..

and new chromed and alumunum. search.

..5 inch your into development.
Old July 25th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

TRY eBAY

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3617
Old July 25th 13, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:15:00 PM UTC-4, Wes Groleau wrote:

an inch)

seat and handlebars.

--

Wes Groleau

— George Orwell

If you really want 27" (far less tire selection) then a cyclo0cross fork might give you the required tire clearance. I, and my friend, were both able to put 700C wheels on our road bikes and we just dropped the brake shoes a bit in their slots. If your son's bike has short reach calipers that may not be an option.

My touring bike was 27" wheels and now has 700C front and rear and the front fork is a 700C cyclo-cross fork. I had cantilever bosses brazed onto the seat stays for better braking than sidepulls with a load on the bike.

Cheers
Old July 25th 13, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 14:54:24 UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

an inch)

seat and handlebars.

--

Wes Groleau

— George Orwell

If you really want 27" (far less tire selection)

He's 6'4" and will probably be more appreciative of 1.1/4" tyres than the skinny offerings typically found for 700C these days. The greater majority of 700c rims are road racing specific rims and as such are UCI limited to 25mm wide outside dimension, which practically limits them to a maximum 32mm or 1.1/4" tyre. At 6'4" there's gonna be a lot of power there and he'll probably not wanting to be slowing for rough roads. The greater selection of skinny tyre in 700c fitted to a probably undersized 22mm wide rim is probably not going to work out. Everything known points to repairing or replacing the forks.

then a cyclo0cross fork might give you the required tire clearance. I, and my friend, were both able to put 700C wheels on our road bikes and we just dropped the brake shoes a bit in their slots. If your son's bike has short reach calipers that may not be an option.

My touring bike was 27" wheels and now has 700C front and rear and the front fork is a 700C cyclo-cross fork. I had cantilever bosses brazed onto the seat stays for better braking than sidepulls with a load on the bike.

On my more relaxed bike, of which the frameset was built for 24x1.1/4 , I run 700c with 730/610 centre-pulls. Totally abysmal braking when wet, and I ride that bike in a manner wherby I don't use the brakes if I can help it. I did have thoughts of using cantilevers on the front but because of the skinny soft rear triangle I prefer not to climb on that bike and rarely need exceptional braking. When I use the train to get coastal or my journey is very local (minimizing exposure to urban traffic) that's the bike I take. When I've been on the road at rush hour, I want the racing brakes else I moderate my speed according to the braking ability of the centre-pulls and the prevailing conditions. I probably rarely pedal this bike over 24mph and have no particular desire to, the 46x14 works out fine. At town speeds of 16mph and less, it does not bother me to jump off and get my feet down in an "emergency" although steering out of trouble is generally preferred on any bike, no matter how good the brakes.
Old July 25th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:55:20 AM UTC-4, thirty-six wrote:
On Thursday, 25 July 2013 14:54:24 UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

an inch)

seat and handlebars.

--

Wes Groleau

— George Orwell

If you really want 27" (far less tire selection)

He's 6'4" and will probably be more appreciative of 1.1/4" tyres than the skinny offerings typically found for 700C these days. The greater majority of 700c rims are road racing specific rims and as such are UCI limited to 25mm wide outside dimension, which practically limits them to a maximum 32mm or 1.1/4" tyre. At 6'4" there's gonna be a lot of power there and he'll probably not wanting to be slowing for rough roads. The greater selection of skinny tyre in 700c fitted to a probably undersized 22mm wide rim is probably not going to work out. Everything known points to repairing or replacing the forks.

then a cyclo0cross fork might give you the required tire clearance. I, and my friend, were both able to put 700C wheels on our road bikes and we just dropped the brake shoes a bit in their slots. If your son's bike has short reach calipers that may not be an option.

On my more relaxed bike, of which the frameset was built for 24x1.1/4 , I run 700c with 730/610 centre-pulls. Totally abysmal braking when wet, and I ride that bike in a manner wherby I don't use the brakes if I can help it. I did have thoughts of using cantilevers on the front but because of the skinny soft rear triangle I prefer not to climb on that bike and rarely need exceptional braking. When I use the train to get coastal or my journey is very local (minimizing exposure to urban traffic) that's the bike I take. When I've been on the road at rush hour, I want the racing brakes else I moderate my speed according to the braking ability of the centre-pulls and the prevailing conditions. I probably rarely pedal this bike over 24mph and have no particular desire to, the 46x14 works out fine. At town speeds of 16mph and less, it does not bother me to jump off and get my feet down in an "emergency" although steering out of trouble is generally preferred on any bike, no matter how good the brakes.

You can easily get 700C tires that are over 40 mm wide and cyclo-cross or hybrid rims to mount them on.

Cheers
Old July 25th 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

Cheers

yeahh but ya run outta quality rims so where's the gain ?

cant afford new rims ? good grief....buy a used 700c bike.

Converted muh '78 Raleigh to '90+ specs for $500 on February MO Discounts...as eg the infamous Edwardian Simano taper triple for $11 at Nbar.

brakes fit onto aluminum apadter plates. cut drill n file.
Old July 25th 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

an inch)

seat and handlebars.

For a bike I built up recently, I needed a fork that would fit 27" wheels with wide tires. They're out there. Check the oldest, grimiest bike shop in your area.

I've also (long ago) changed our touring bikes from 27" to 700C. Even with our cantilever brakes, there was no problem adjusting the brake shoes to reach the new rims.

Back to the fork: I was also going to suggest buying a garage sale bike as a cheap way of getting an old fork. But if your son is outgrowing the bike he bent up, it sounds like it's time to shop garage sales, Craig's List, or even bike shops for a better fit. Why not?

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 25th 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N
external usenet poster

does Sun still make the CR18? Works splendid on my bike that originally came with 27s with a little more clearance for fenders. I guess I would still look for a fork that won't mess up the geometry of the bike, assuming that there wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place. Important would be the distance between the dropouts and the headset, and also trail. Match those up and make sure your brakes will work and hopefully you're good.