Accident report (Edinburgh)

Old November 26th 08, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

Default Accident report (Edinburgh)

Bicycle hit broadside by car turning right out of side road. I bounced
off the bonnet and somehow ended up very quickly on my feet, not sure
how.

I had noticed the car nosing out to see past an obtrusively corner
parked Landrover, which I was passing, so I braked so as to be able to
stop if the car made a break for a traffic gap. But the car stopped so
I lifted the brakes and carried on. As I was almost on the car, a
little closer to its nose than I would have liked, but constrained by
traffic in a narrow road, the car leapt forwards and smashed into me
broadside.

Minor grazing and bruises, no significant injury. Bicycle
suffered bent front wheel, some snappable bits snapped off, severely
bent rear carrier which was carrying heavy photographic gear bag. Only
damage to gear inside the bag was a flash unit, probably the most
fragile thing in the bag, and possibly under the point of impact.

Driver admits liability and is willing to pay for the damage.

Photographic documentation here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_m...7610172771136/

Shows site of accident and bike damage, but stupidly not the actual
accident itself. Despite the fact that I was carrying a bag of
photographic gear, in my shocked state the emergency of having bits of
bike and my valuable camera gear bag strewn in the middle of a busy
street had me quickly dragging everything to the safety of the
pavement before I realised I should have organised someone to stop the
traffic and taken photographs of where everything was.

So that's photographs of where it happened, and the damaged bike, but
fifteen minutes later and not in situ.

Lessons learned:-

1. If physically able after accident, don't start rescuing things,
take time to calm down and think things through, don't lose witnesses
and evidence.

2. It was the driver's fault, but could I have avoided it?

Yes, very easily. I felt uncomfortable at passing so close in front of
a vehicle obviously wanting out of a side road. Since the side road
was empty and he not only placed to turn right but well nosed out, I
could simply have swung into the side road and gone round behind him,
avoiding the risk. My discomfort was because I would pass too close to
take avoiding action if he shot forwards. In other words I knew I was
taking a risk. A small risk of the rather unlikely kind. But if you
take risks like that every week for decades it stops being a small
risk in the long term. It's about thirty five years of semi-annual
cycling since I was hit by a vehicle, but that doesn't lessen the odds
of a risk going bad.

So the lesson is: stop being complacent and become more positively
defensive again.

3. I could also have drawn the driver's attention to me by wobbling
from side to side, thus moving laterally in his vision. There was
plenty of room to wobble to the left after passing the Landrover, and
I had a small winking white LED on the front because the light was dim.

4. In the city I often rely on small "see me" winking LEDs, plus
plenty of reflective patches on the bike and my clothing, even
reflective tyre sidewalls. That works well after lighting up time
when cars have their lights on. But this was before lighting up time,
but rather dark and overcast, so only some vehicles had their lights
on. Anyone with lights off wouldn't see my reflective patches, and
because it was still light, though dim, my light was dimmer by
contrast than at night. So I need a better lighting strategy for
dim-but-not-dark conditions.

Suggestions for more lessons to learn gratefully received :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Old November 26th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

In article ,
Chris Malcolm wrote:

Lessons learned:-

1. If physically able after accident

.... kick the ****in' living **** out of the retarded spastic who hit you.

D.

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Old November 26th 08, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
J. Chisholm

Chris Malcolm wrote:
Bicycle hit broadside by car turning right out of side road. I bounced
off the bonnet and somehow ended up very quickly on my feet, not sure
how.

So has it been reported to the Police?

Clearly a case of driving without due care, and if it hasn't been
reported it won't get on the crash record (STATS19)
That means less pressure to remove obstructing parking (we haven't had
any reported crashes..)

Jim
Old November 26th 08, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Chris Malcolm wrote:
4. In the city I often rely on small "see me" winking LEDs, plus
plenty of reflective patches on the bike and my clothing, even
reflective tyre sidewalls. That works well after lighting up time
when cars have their lights on. But this was before lighting up time,
but rather dark and overcast, so only some vehicles had their lights
on. Anyone with lights off wouldn't see my reflective patches, and
because it was still light, though dim, my light was dimmer by
contrast than at night. So I need a better lighting strategy for
dim-but-not-dark conditions.

I have always felt that to be the most dangerous time,
since it's very difficult to get seen.

In daylight, bright and/or flourescent clothing
is very visible, and at night even (modern!) bike
lights can be easily seen, and reflectors work
well.

But I don't have a good solution for dusk (or dusk
with rain/cloud)

BugBear
Old November 26th 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message

2. It was the driver's fault, but could I have avoided it?

Yes, very easily. I felt uncomfortable at passing so close in front of
a vehicle obviously wanting out of a side road.

FWIW I *always* pass side roads where there is waiting traffic close the the
centre line. Reason being is that I absolutely refuse to be overtaken when
there is a risk of someone pulling out and me getting sandwiched between the
nose of one vehicle and the side of another. Looking at the pictures though,
the road looks quite narrow, and if there was a car nosing out, I think I
would probably slow down and let them go, rather than risk passing the
front. If I were driving a car, or motorbike in the same situation, I would
*definitely* give way and let them go. The assertive cyclists might argue
"why should you give way?" The reason is of course to avoid collisions with
the numptys who don't see you. Giving way can be a good thing, even when you
have the right of way.

So the lesson is: stop being complacent and become more positively
defensive again.

Absolutely.

3. I could also have drawn the driver's attention to me by wobbling
from side to side, thus moving laterally in his vision. There was
plenty of room to wobble to the left after passing the Landrover, and
I had a small winking white LED on the front because the light was dim.

I use a very bright fluorescent yellow jacket nearly all the time. I find
that drivers give more space and respect and they behave as if I am part of
the traffic when I wear it. If I don't wear it, I appear to be invisible to
a lot of drivers. In fact, I find that when I am wearing the yellow jacket,
drivers give way, when they could have quite easily zapped out before I pass
them. Bright yellow is good.

Old November 26th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

On 26 Nov, 15:56, Chris Malcolm wrote:

Suggestions for more lessons to learn gratefully received :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Firstly, commiserations; hope the bruises heal and the bike is
replaced at teh driver's expense.

As for beating yourself up about not taking photos, don't; adreniline
surges don't always promote cool calm thinking.

I've been in a similar position myself recently (but with no parked
car and thankfully no collision.) Like you, I saw the car, he was
approaching the junction slowly to turn left (looks like your guy was
turning right?) The line of sight between my eyes and his was
obstructed by his corner pillar, so I know that there was a chance he
hadn't seen me. Like AndyC I edged out, and like you I slowed down.
He came straight out and as he did so he saw me and stopped. I did an
emergency stopped, the back wheel slid right and I (elegantly?)
stepped off it so as to end up standing 30cm or so in front of his
bonnet, glaring at him, and indicating that I was big enough to see.
This was a nice bright morning, with no low sun; I guess he'd just
started off, hadn't cleared his windscreen enough. He had passengers
with him, one of whom may have warned him.

As cyclists, we survive by riding defensively, but every time we put
our bikes in front of a car, we are trusting to motorists a) to see us
and b) to exercise due judgement. If they are driving with due care
and attention (as most do), then it works well. But sometimes and in
some places you HAVE to place your trust in them, otherwise you'd
never get anywhere. So my advice would be to pick these times and
places when the damage will be minimised if things go wrong. And
definitely report it to the police.

Peter.
Old November 26th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

J. Chisholm wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
Bicycle hit broadside by car turning right out of side road. I bounced
off the bonnet and somehow ended up very quickly on my feet, not sure
how.

So has it been reported to the Police?

Clearly a case of driving without due care, and if it hasn't been
reported it won't get on the crash record (STATS19)
That means less pressure to remove obstructing parking (we haven't had
any reported crashes..)

I did ring the police, but they said that they had no interest in
accidents which did not involve injury to persons. If it was just
damage to vehicles and other property it was purely a civil matter.

On the other hand the driver said that he thought that particularly
annoying view-obstructing parker, who often parked there, had probably
caused a number of accidents.

Perhaps if both the driver and I complain, with benefit of the
photograph, and citing our accident?

--
Chris Malcolm

Old November 26th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

On 26 Nov, 15:56, Chris Malcolm wrote:
Since the side road
was empty and he not only placed to turn right but well nosed out, I
could simply have swung into the side road and gone round behind him,
avoiding the risk.

Maybe - but what happens if/when he decides that there is a lorry
coming with a tight squeeze so reverses a couple of feet just as you
are passing... if he ain;t gonna see you when you are in froint of
him he ain;t goinna see you behind him. And you haev arguably placed
your self in a blind spot as some time during that manouvre anyway.

I think you chose the correct "route" despite whatever happened.

didds
Old November 26th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message

On the other hand the driver said that he thought that particularly
annoying view-obstructing parker, who often parked there, had probably
caused a number of accidents.

Personally, I find it hard to accept that a parked car can cause accidents.
They might block the view. They might be a source of annoyance and an
inconvenience, but the accident is surely caused by the moving vehicles
between themselves. That's not to say there are some utterly ridiculous
places to park, its just that parking itself does not cause accidents.

Old November 26th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Chris Malcolm wrote:
J. Chisholm wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
[...]

Grazing and bruises is injury. You don't have to say now that the injury is
not "significant", and you may not know yourself for a while how significant
the injury is.

Report to the police again.

~PB

To report of not to report what seems to be a belligerant driver,that is the question (norcal) [email protected] Techniques 79 December 7th 07 07:51 AM
Edinburgh Centurian_Ooo'yabass[_2_] UK 13 November 27th 07 10:45 PM
Edinburgh (UK) joemarshall Unicycling 8 September 5th 06 09:34 AM
FS: Edinburgh Bicycle (Revolution) Tangent - Edinburgh area Steve Hodgson UK 0 December 27th 04 04:07 PM
NCN 1 Edinburgh MSeries UK 9 December 16th 03 08:34 PM