Elmer's Rubber Cement is not the vulcanizing kind!

Old April 27th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Keats

Default Elmer's Rubber Cement is not the vulcanizing kind!

In article ,
Ablang writes:
I bought a 4oz jar (UPC 0 269050 8) of this stuff from Home Depot last
year for about $2.50. Pretty cheap stuff.

I finally got a chance to use these on my inner tubes for my 27" x
1-1/4" tires (100 psi) and found out that they don't really stick
permanently. The next day I discover that some part of the patch has
breached.

In trying to figure out what I did wrong (I have successfully patched
other tires before using the glue from patch kits), I figure it's that
I'm either using too thick of a layer of Elmer's or that this rubber
cement really isn't the vulcanizing kind.

What do you guys think?

Where can I buy (in bulk) a large amount of the vulcanizing cement
from at the best price?

Y'see what a Pandora's can o' worms you've opened? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Might as well have started another chain cleaning/lubrication thread.

cheers,
Tom

--
Everybody's an expert
I'm really at:

Old April 27th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 27 Apr, 04:08, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,

[...]

Might have already happened.
Old April 27th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:08:02 -0700, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Ablang writes:
I bought a 4oz jar (UPC 0 269050 8) of this stuff from Home Depot last
year for about $2.50. Pretty cheap stuff.

I finally got a chance to use these on my inner tubes for my 27" x
1-1/4" tires (100 psi) and found out that they don't really stick
permanently. The next day I discover that some part of the patch has
breached.

In trying to figure out what I did wrong (I have successfully patched
other tires before using the glue from patch kits), I figure it's that
I'm either using too thick of a layer of Elmer's or that this rubber
cement really isn't the vulcanizing kind.

What do you guys think?

Where can I buy (in bulk) a large amount of the vulcanizing cement
from at the best price?

Y'see what a Pandora's can o' worms you've opened? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Might as well have started another chain cleaning/lubrication thread.

Hey Tom, maybe I can help.

In emergencies I've successfully shortened and rewelded "rubber" belts in things
like tape recorders and turntables using super glue (cyano-acrylate). It works
very nicely. I've read of people healing cuts in tire treads with the stuff as
well.

Has anyone tried the stuff on patches?

Is it perhaps the answer for someone like SJM who, against all advice and the
accumulated experience of every single person in this forum, insists on trying
to use pieces of tube as a patch? Would CA do it?

Old April 27th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Ablang writes:
[...]

loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers. it comes in their o-ring kits.

Old April 27th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

jim beam wrote:

loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers.

Try telling your S.O. that.

Old April 27th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

Ablang writes:
[...]

Good to know. Thanks j.

Old April 27th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:08:02 -0700, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

In article
,
Ablang writes:
[...]

404 dries hard as a rock too.

Cheers

Old April 28th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

"jim beam" wrote:
[...]
loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers. it comes in their o-ring kits.

All types of rubber? Other elastomers?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 28th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
jim beam wrote:

loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers.

Try telling your S.O. that.

funny, but family newsgroup buddy.
Old April 28th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
[...]
loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers. it comes in their o-ring kits.

All types of rubber? Other elastomers?

broken fingers tom? can't google "loctite 404 data sheet"?