At last - road deaths to be taken seriously.

Old May 14th 09, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default At last - road deaths to be taken seriously.

It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the same
level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason
Old May 14th 09, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message
,
" writes
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the same
level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

Whilst that would be welcome, that isn't what the article says.

The RAC foundation are saying that they would like to see such
investigation into the causes of crashes.

The article finishes saying the government doesn't support such an idea
--
Chris French

Old May 14th 09, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the same
level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
*Simon Mason

Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 14th 09, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:
On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the
same level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train
accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason

Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.

Your clarification will save an awful lot of posts.

I think the proposal is an excellent one, but sadly unlikely to get any
further.

Old May 14th 09, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Brimstone" wrote in message
On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the
same level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train
accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason

Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.

Your clarification will save an awful lot of posts.

I think the proposal is an excellent one, but sadly unlikely to get any
further.

If put into practice it will unturn a lot of stones. And with each and every
stone unturned, there will be a conclusion as to how the accident could have
been prevented. And with each conclusion as to how the accident could have
been prevented there will be new rules and safety measures put into place to
prevent it happening again. And when those rules are broken, poor Mr Toad
will be fined or go to prison.

If motorists think they have it bad now with speed cameras, just wait a few
years. Licences will be hard to get and easily taken away. People will not
be able to rely on their cars. Isn't that what the guvvermunt want?

Old May 14th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the same
level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason

RAC Foundation - salt, pinch of, required to be taken with article
Old May 14th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the
same level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train
accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason

Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.

Your clarification will save an awful lot of posts.

I think the proposal is an excellent one, but sadly unlikely to get any
further.

From the BBC's site

"Police found the cause to be a lapse of concentration by the truck
driver who was charged with causing death by careless driving and
sentenced to three years in prison.
Grayrigg rail crash
An 18-month inquiry followed the 2007 Grayrigg rail crash in Cumbria
Dr Elliot has questioned whether his lapse was the root cause of the
accident.
"Motorways are very safe when traffic is flowing smoothly," he said.
But when the traffic flow is disrupted, a single lapse could lead to
tragedy, he added.
"It is arguable that the root cause of the accident was an earlier
accident on the same section of motorway that caused the traffic jam in
which the car was stopped," he said.
"It is not clear whether this could have been cleared more quickly if,
for example, there had been no pressure to investigate possible criminal
offences."

So, this has bugger all to do with safety but more to do with keeping
traffic flowing?
The truck driver might have missed them if he could have kept driving?
******** -- it was slow traffic and people were not paying attention.

This appears to be nothing more than 'hurry up and clear our roads, the
faster we go the safer it is'.
meh

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 14th 09, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Keith T wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the
same level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train
accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason
Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.

Your clarification will save an awful lot of posts.

I think the proposal is an excellent one, but sadly unlikely to get
any further.

From the BBC's site

[...]

But as the article suggests, if the traffic hadn't been brought toa stop on
a road designeed for fast moving traffic the collision couldn't have
happened.

You don't understand root cause analysis do you?

Old May 14th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Brimstone wrote:
Keith T wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
On 14 May, 08:12, " wrote:
It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the
same level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train
accidents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8048971.stm

--
Simon Mason
Of course I should have said it's just a proposal at present.
Your clarification will save an awful lot of posts.

I think the proposal is an excellent one, but sadly unlikely to get
any further.

From the BBC's site

[...]

And why had the traffic flow been reduced?
Root cause has not been established - other than birth of drivers and
manufacture of vehicles.
I'm well aware of analysis but it depends where you start or what you
want the outcome to be.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 14th 09, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Thu, 14 May 2009 00:12:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

It's been a long time coming but at last road deaths will get the same
level of investigation as flooding, air crashes and train accidents.

http://

It's been a long time coming - and it will continue to be a long time
coming - don't hold your breath.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."