Cycling KSI up by 19%

Old November 6th 09, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Judith M Smith

Default Cycling KSI up by 19%

The most recent government statistics show that from last April to
June cycle deaths and total number of life-threatening injuries has
increased by 19 percent from what it was at the same time last year.

So lets be hearing the excuses.

Have I ever told you that I think cycling is quite dangerous?

--

Members of the medical profession refer to cyclists as "donors".
(Daily Mail)

Old November 6th 09, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:13:50 +0000, Judith M Smith
wrote:

So lets be hearing the excuses.

A fall in motorists, leading to higher average speeds makes motorists
more dangerous. They need to install speed cameras at every road
junction as that is where motorists routinely kill or injure innocent
cyclists.
Old November 6th 09, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Conor[_3_]

In article , Judith M Smith
says...

So lets be hearing the excuses.

The "have you seen the light" campaign last week saw police out in force
in a bid to educate cyclists and motorists about traffic laws.

Together with Cambridge City Council, the enforcement and education
campaign was aimed to make sure cyclists and motorists? lights were
working properly as the clocks went back.

On TWO NIGHTS, they caught 200 people. Out of that 200, 121 were
cyclists who had no lights whatsoever. 51 cyclists were reported for
cycling on the pavement and three received fines for other offences with
one being reported to the courts.

Have I ever told you that I think cycling is quite dangerous?

And its usually because of the moron doing the cycling.

Lest you forget:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NyrmWhSDqqQ

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old November 6th 09, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Happi Monday[_3_]

Judith M Smith wrote:
The most recent government statistics show that from last April to
June cycle deaths and total number of life-threatening injuries has
increased by 19 percent from what it was at the same time last year.

So lets be hearing the excuses.

Have I ever told you that I think cycling is quite dangerous?

It's not the cycling, it's the aggressive motorists that are the problem.
Old November 6th 09, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Martin[_5_]

"Happi Monday" wrote in message
Judith M Smith wrote:
The most recent government statistics show that from last April to
June cycle deaths and total number of life-threatening injuries has
increased by 19 percent from what it was at the same time last year.

So lets be hearing the excuses.

Have I ever told you that I think cycling is quite dangerous?

It's not the cycling, it's the aggressive motorists that are the problem.

It's the cyclists who think that they are above the law and need not stop at
red traffic lights and zebra crossings with people on them, and who try to
overtake left-turning vehicles on the left.

I cycle as if I am a human-powered two-wheeled car, obeying all the same
laws and rulesand not trying to seek any advantage over cars and lorries by
virtue of being narrower or by being untraceable (ie no number plate that
can be reprted).

Old November 6th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Mark Goodge

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:04:08 +0000, Tom Crispin put finger to keyboard
and typed:

wrote:

So lets be hearing the excuses.

A fall in motorists, leading to higher average speeds makes motorists
more dangerous. They need to install speed cameras at every road
junction as that is where motorists routinely kill or injure innocent
cyclists.

That wouldn't have any effect, as motorists aren't usually speeding at
junctions. You can easily kill someone at 29mph if you aren't looking
where you're going and aren't aware of what's around you.

If you want my explanation (not an excuse, since I think that bad
driving is always inexcusable), I'd say that it's precisely the
automated enforcement of purely technical offences, such as speeding,
that is the problem. It's creating a generation of motorists who think
that so long as they're within the speed limit they must be driving
safely, and removed the incentive for the police to do the job of
policing bad driving.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
Old November 6th 09, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

wrote:

A fall in motorists, leading to higher average speeds makes motorists
more dangerous. They need to install speed cameras at every road
junction as that is where motorists routinely kill or injure innocent
cyclists.

Tomorrow morning on Radio 4, about 9:30am, this is due to be
discussed. Or so I'm told.

Year-to-date figures are 2% higher, with a significant measured
increase in cycling, it's only the direct comparison of one quarter
with another. Anyone remember what the weather and the economy were
like in Q2 2008 compared with Q2 2009? These are small numbers to
start with so it's not going to take much to skew them.

But as the commentator said on the news earlier today, it's simply not
possible to draw any sensible conclusion from comparing these two
particular figures.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc
GPG public key at http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old November 6th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Conor[_3_]

In article , Just zis Guy,
you know? says...

Weather was ****e. Economy hadn't yet tanked.

Old November 7th 09, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Mr. Benn[_2_]

Tom Crispin wrote in
:

wrote:

So lets be hearing the excuses.

A fall in motorists, leading to higher average speeds makes motorists
more dangerous. They need to install speed cameras at every road
junction as that is where motorists routinely kill or injure innocent
cyclists.

How the hell does any driver manage to exceed the speed limit at a road
junction?
Old November 7th 09, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Mr. Benn[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in
o.uk:

Judith M Smith wrote:
The most recent government statistics show that from last April to
June cycle deaths and total number of life-threatening injuries has
increased by 19 percent from what it was at the same time last year.

So lets be hearing the excuses.

Have I ever told you that I think cycling is quite dangerous?

It's not the cycling, it's the aggressive motorists that are the
problem.

It's the cyclists who think that they are above the law and need not
stop at red traffic lights and zebra crossings with people on them,
and who try to overtake left-turning vehicles on the left.

I cycle as if I am a human-powered two-wheeled car, obeying all the
same laws and rulesand not trying to seek any advantage over cars and
lorries by virtue of being narrower or by being untraceable (ie no
number plate that can be reprted).

And that is exactly the way I cycle. And I have never been involved in an
accident involving a four wheeled vehicle. I did have a mishap once which
was the fault of a curb however. Entirely my fault.