Proposed Motion of No Confidence in URCM Moderation

Old March 27th 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.new.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
A Fresh Start

Default Proposed Motion of No Confidence in URCM Moderation

I wish to raise a formal notice of no confidence in the moderation of
uk.rec.cycling.moderated to be dealt with and voted upon as quickly as
possible.

If there is a majority vote in favour of that vote of no confidence, I
would like to propose that Ian Jackson and the moderator responsible
for the recent rejection of Tom Crispin's post (Subject: REJECTION:
I'm just fed up with you) resign with immediate effect; the current
moderation team continue to act as moderators until a new team of
moderators is elected by an open election.

I would like the suggestion to be part of the proposal that the new
moderators, once elected, nominate from themselves a single person who
may act in a leadership capacity of the moderation team. I would hope
that the moderation team could draw up a brief ToR for that role which
would be published.

I would also like to suggest as part of the proposal that the new
moderation team also consider alternative moderation systems for the
hosting of URCM in the future.

None of this should be necessary - but it seems to me that the current
moderators lack many required attributes of a moderation team.

I am not too sure how to formally pursue this suggestion and
I have not gone in to the full details of my proposals here - but I
would like advice on how to follow up this matter and get things
moving.

Also please advise of appropriate groups to continue this
discussion/proposal in,
Old March 27th 10, 12:04 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.new.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Berrow

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:27:14 +0000, A Fresh Start
wrote:

I am not too sure how to formally pursue this suggestion and
I have not gone in to the full details of my proposals here - but I
would like advice on how to follow up this matter and get things
moving.

I could be wrong but there is no mechanism for MoNC of moderators.

What you /can/ do is raise and RFD for changes to the way the group is
moderated. Clearly you think the moderation system is wrong but just
saying it is wrong is not enough. You need to propose a system that
will fix the problems or at least the bare bones of a system that can
be discussed.

If you want further advice I suggest you write to the committee.
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Old March 27th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.new.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Berrow

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:04:43 +0000, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

If you want further advice I suggest you write to the committee.

But not anonymously.

Old March 27th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.rec.cycling
Owen Rees

wrote in :

I could be wrong but there is no mechanism for MoNC of moderators.

What you /can/ do is raise and RFD for changes to the way the group is
moderated. Clearly you think the moderation system is wrong but just
saying it is wrong is not enough. You need to propose a system that
will fix the problems or at least the bare bones of a system that can
be discussed.

(Non-existent group deleted from Newsgroups: header)

We went through all this in tedious detail in January. As Geoff says in
what I quoted, any proposal must propose a solution that will fix the
problem if it is to be of any use.

Review the discussion from January for a lot of detail about what can be
done and what to do to get it done. I have little hope that those who
failed to understand that information then will read it and understand
it now but there is a slightly greater hope that we can spend a litte
less time on it this time round.

--
Owen Rees
[one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be
Old March 27th 10, 03:14 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.news.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
A Fresh Start

wrote:

I am not too sure how to formally pursue this suggestion and
I have not gone in to the full details of my proposals here - but I
would like advice on how to follow up this matter and get things
moving.

I could be wrong but there is no mechanism for MoNC of moderators.

What you /can/ do is raise and RFD for changes to the way the group is
moderated. Clearly you think the moderation system is wrong but just
saying it is wrong is not enough. You need to propose a system that
will fix the problems or at least the bare bones of a system that can
be discussed.

If you want further advice I suggest you write to the committee.

OK - in a nut shell - not everything which everyone wants is
achievable - I accept that.

However - most of the problems which are now experienced with the
moderation process are really down to problems with the moderators.

I would therefore like to understand how can the current moderators be
replaced by an elected moderation team.

I would then hope that if the moderators were elected, then they would
actually listen to what "the electorate" want - which may or may not
involve more openness in the way moderation works; whether there are
different queues etc etc. or all those other things which people have
said they want.

So: What needs to be done in order to have:

1) a formal replacement of the current moderation team by an elected
moderation team

2) the moderation team to then have the ability to remove someone from
the moderation team by a simple vote if the majority of the team so
wish.

How can this be done please?

Old March 27th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.news.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Berrow

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:14:02 +0000, A Fresh Start
wrote:

So: What needs to be done in order to have:

1) a formal replacement of the current moderation team by an elected
moderation team

2) the moderation team to then have the ability to remove someone from
the moderation team by a simple vote if the majority of the team so
wish.

How can this be done please?

Write an RFD proposing changes to the charter outlining how moderators
are to be chosen/dismissed.

See http://www.usenet.org.uk./uk.gay-les...gay-lesbian-bi

Old March 27th 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.news.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_3_]

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:14:02 +0000, A Fresh Start wrote:

So: What needs to be done in order to have:

1) a formal replacement of the current moderation team by an elected
moderation team

An RFD proposing it. Ideally, if you want it to succeed, proposed by
someone who is clearly not a sock-puppet of a troll (note - I'm not
suggesting you're the sock-puppet of a troll, merely that we don't know
whose sock-puppet you are so inevitably that suspicion is going to be
around).

I'd suggest you draft it as an RFD to amend the charter of
uk.rec.cycling.moderated, and post it to , using
whatever name you're usually known to the UK usenet community by.

There is no specific guidance on how to write this sort of RFD on
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ but there is a fair bit of general guidance
there; I suggest you read it all.

2) the moderation team to then have the ability to remove someone from
the moderation team by a simple vote if the majority of the team so
wish.

How can this be done please?

Same applies.

Having given you the advice you asked for, I would also say this: the
present moderation team is doing a pretty reasonable job under pretty
unreasonable provocation. You're very unlikely to get a better moderation
team, and you're very unlikely to reduce the levels of provocation, so
all I think you're going to achieve is another few months of wrangling to
no purpose, after which things will almost certainly be worse than they
are now.

But you're entirely within your rights to try.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

Old March 27th 10, 08:05 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

Seriously, why do you pricks bring this **** to a decent and proper NG
like U.R.C?
Either join URC and be done with the ******s' Club or **** off all together.
Simples.
Old March 28th 10, 12:15 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.news.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Jon Ribbens

wrote:
1) a formal replacement of the current moderation team by an elected
moderation team

2) the moderation team to then have the ability to remove someone from
the moderation team by a simple vote if the majority of the team so
wish.

How can this be done please?

Write an RFD proposing changes to the charter outlining how moderators
are to be chosen/dismissed.

See http://www.usenet.org.uk./uk.gay-les...gay-lesbian-bi

.... and make sure the moderator election system you come up with is
absolutely nothing like that one.
Old March 28th 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.net.news.moderation,uk.rec.cycling
Pedt[_3_]

In message , at 11:15:54 on
wrote:
1) a formal replacement of the current moderation team by an elected
moderation team

2) the moderation team to then have the ability to remove someone from
the moderation team by a simple vote if the majority of the team so
wish.

How can this be done please?

Write an RFD proposing changes to the charter outlining how moderators
are to be chosen/dismissed.

See http://www.usenet.org.uk./uk.gay-les...gay-lesbian-bi

... and make sure the moderator election system you come up with is
absolutely nothing like that one.

*laughs*

Seconded!

--
Pedt
I've never seen a green pancake before even though I watch a lot

Need an *initial* RFD for a moderated group say who the proposed moderation team is? Wm... UK 211 June 1st 09 07:43 PM
Re Proposed URCM jms UK 9 May 29th 09 04:12 PM
confidence in your rider Bounty Bob Racing 0 July 18th 07 12:52 PM
unconditional confidence Jim Flom Racing 1 November 27th 05 11:31 AM
A Crisis of Confidence clarky44 UK 2 September 13th 03 05:55 PM