It's cool apparently

Old January 20th 05, 06:34 AM
Paul - xxx

David Hansen composed the following;:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:34:03 -0000 someone who may be "Paul - xxx"
wrote this:-

We don't allow them to swear at all, but recognise that they will
whilst out with friends maybe, and that they'll hear it all on TV
anyway ... and to be honest, they do hear it from me occasionally,
whilst outside the influence of swmbo ..

I find that swearing at my computers (and related gadgets) a great
deal means I almost never swear at anything or anyone else.

Heheheh, I generally mutter at the computers, they can hear, you know ..

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Old January 20th 05, 07:20 AM
Paul Rudin

Tony Raven writes:

Not Responding wrote:
Any pointers to a simple "how to" guide for windows? The DRM issues
have held me back from spending money on legal downloads but if
there's a way around that, I may become a customer.

The "simple" way is to burn them to a CD and tnen rip the CD to
mp3. The complex way is to use Hymn as a command line programme or
slightly easier to use iOpener. Both available at
http://hymn-project.org/download.php

jhymn is a nice gui pointy-clicky front end for hymn.

Old January 20th 05, 08:43 AM
David Hansen

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:02:24 +0000 someone who may be David Martin
wrote this:-

Apple stuff only works on machines with Apple operating systems.

Microsoft stuff only works on machines with Microsoft operating systems.

Where's the difference?

The first one is demonstrably wrong, as my QuickTime for Windows plugin
demonstrates.

The second is demonstrably wrong as my Windows Media Player for Mac
demonstrates.

Or indeed Micro**** Office works on Macs, either the Mac version of
office or the PC version if a PC emulator is running on the Mac.

Micro**** have written software for the Mac since the first models.
Could someone remind me how much of Apple Micro**** own at the
moment?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old January 20th 05, 09:54 AM
Zardoz

wrote this:-

Apple stuff only works on machines with Apple operating systems.

Microsoft stuff only works on machines with Microsoft operating systems.

Where's the difference?

The first one is demonstrably wrong, as my QuickTime for Windows plugin
demonstrates.

The second is demonstrably wrong as my Windows Media Player for Mac
demonstrates.

Or indeed Micro**** Office works on Macs, either the Mac version of
office or the PC version if a PC emulator is running on the Mac.

Micro**** have written software for the Mac since the first models.
Could someone remind me how much of Apple Micro**** own at the
moment?

rant
Oh don't get me started on Apple Evangelists. If I had as much money
as one of them I'd be happy with an overpriced computer.

And that new iPod shuffle. They even had Radio 4 telling us on Friday
that it would be six months before someone came along with a
comparable but cheaper product. Come off it! Flash memory MP3 players
have been around since the 90s. I bought one off ebuyer for £20 last
week...
/rant

Old January 20th 05, 10:05 AM
David Martin

wrote this:-

Apple stuff only works on machines with Apple operating systems.

Microsoft stuff only works on machines with Microsoft operating systems.

Where's the difference?

The first one is demonstrably wrong, as my QuickTime for Windows plugin
demonstrates.

The second is demonstrably wrong as my Windows Media Player for Mac
demonstrates.

Or indeed Micro**** Office works on Macs, either the Mac version of
office or the PC version if a PC emulator is running on the Mac.

Micro**** have written software for the Mac since the first models.
Could someone remind me how much of Apple Micro**** own at the
moment?

rant
Oh don't get me started on Apple Evangelists. If I had as much money
as one of them I'd be happy with an overpriced computer.

Not an apple evangelist, but you are comparing apples with oranges.. (pardon
the pun) It's a bit like saying you were done for buying a Dave Yates 631
custom with campag kit, when for a third of the price you could have got a
Carrera thinghy from Halfords.

And that new iPod shuffle. They even had Radio 4 telling us on Friday
that it would be six months before someone came along with a
comparable but cheaper product. Come off it! Flash memory MP3 players
have been around since the 90s. I bought one off ebuyer for £20 last
week...

half gig MP3 player for 70 quid? There are comparable products but it is
competetive in the market.

You'll now quiote RRP for a competitor that is as well specced?

...d

Old January 20th 05, 10:18 AM
Richard Bates

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:42:56 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

Not Responding wrote:

Any pointers to a simple "how to" guide for windows? The DRM issues have
held me back from spending money on legal downloads but if there's a way
around that, I may become a customer.

The "simple" way is to burn them to a CD and tnen rip the CD to mp3.

But you will end up with a poorer quality result since you are taking
a lossy file, converting to a non-lossy PCM format but still with the
lossy artefacts, and then converting to another lossy format but with
different losses. You end up with a file which contains double the
amount of "lossyness".

In practice you may not notice the difference.

The complex way is to use Hymn as a command line programme or slightly
easier to use iOpener. Both available at
http://hymn-project.org/download.php

Hymn, as I understand it, does not involve any change in the music
data - it merely strips out the copy protection.

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.
Old January 20th 05, 10:19 AM
Dave Larrington

Paul Rudin wrote:
Tony Raven writes:

Paul - xxx wrote:
This is something we're considering, but at 12 years old, we'd
rather not have him going around with a £200 iPod around his neck
.. his £50 MP3 player is good enough for now, and he has a CD
Walkman ..

..and getting iTunes music onto anything other than an iPod is
something Apple make very very difficult (not impossible though ;-)

Not really difficult - you can burn to CD from itunes and then rip the
CD back to MP3. Or you can use something like hymn
http://hymn-project.org/ to remove the drm stuff (which probably
technically breaks the itunes terms of use...)

The latest version of iTunes (4.7.1) breaks Hymn thobut.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old January 20th 05, 10:26 AM
Richard Bates

wrote:

Not Responding wrote:

Any pointers to a simple "how to" guide for windows? The DRM issues have
held me back from spending money on legal downloads but if there's a way
around that, I may become a customer.

The "simple" way is to burn them to a CD and tnen rip the CD to mp3.

But you will end up with a poorer quality result since you are taking
a lossy file, converting to a non-lossy PCM format but still with the
lossy artefacts, and then converting to another lossy format but with
different losses. You end up with a file which contains double the
amount of "lossyness".

In practice you may not notice the difference.

The complex way is to use Hymn as a command line programme or slightly
easier to use iOpener. Both available at
http://hymn-project.org/download.php

Hymn, as I understand it, does not involve any change in the music
data - it merely strips out the copy protection.

(Apologies if this appears more than once)
Old January 20th 05, 10:29 AM
Tony Raven

Paul Rudin wrote:
Tony Raven writes:

Not Responding wrote:

Any pointers to a simple "how to" guide for windows? The DRM issues
have held me back from spending money on legal downloads but if
there's a way around that, I may become a customer.

The "simple" way is to burn them to a CD and tnen rip the CD to
mp3. The complex way is to use Hymn as a command line programme or
slightly easier to use iOpener. Both available at
http://hymn-project.org/download.php

jhymn is a nice gui pointy-clicky front end for hymn.

And iOpener is an even nicer one IMO.

Tony
Old January 20th 05, 10:45 AM
Paul - xxx

David Martin composed the following;:
On 20/1/05 9:54 am, in article
, "Zardoz"

wrote this:-

[...]

Son now has a 1 gig MP3 (MPMan I think) from Currys for £99, which he
paid for himself.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
(8(!) Homer Rules ...

cool site [email protected] Recumbent Biking 3 January 13th 05 03:28 AM
Cool pics? The_SkunkMan Unicycling 14 December 7th 04 08:20 PM
cool dust caps thinuniking Unicycling 9 June 4th 04 10:26 AM
Cool new trials vids TonyMelton Unicycling 13 November 24th 03 05:54 PM
FS: Lots Of Cool High End Stuff CBILLS Marketplace 1 July 26th 03 10:48 PM