It's cool apparently

Old January 20th 05, 06:55 PM
Tony Raven

Zardoz wrote:
Not really difficult - you can burn to CD from itunes and then rip the
CD back to MP3.

You'd do all that just to transfer an MP3?

That's what MP3ers refer to as an X-RIP btw (as I've found out). It's
like re JPEG-ing JPEGs. Because off lossy compression, each time you
encode it the quality degrades more.

Yep, because the file downloaded from iTunes has DRM protection which
prevents it being converted to mp3 format. When cut to a CD using the
iTunes software that protection falls away so it effectively the
simplest way of removing the DRM so you can recode to mp3. The other is
to strip the DRM using hymn but that is more complex for someone not
comfortable with command lines etc.

Tony
Old January 20th 05, 06:57 PM
Tony Raven

Paul - xxx wrote:

If I had an Apple, I'd probably love an iPod .. I don't, so I can't be
arsed to even try one, to be truthful ..

I have an iPod, one of the originals before they became famous, and I
have to say it is great. Much of my CD collection together with a whole
collection of radio recordings reside on it and I no longer have to
worry about which CD's I'm going to take with me.

I was pretty unimpressed with the sound quality until I junked the Apple
mpeg encoder (and the rest of their software) and switched to a LAME
encoder and Ephpod which is indistinguishable to my ears from the
original CD

Tony

Old January 21st 05, 01:58 AM
chris French

In message , Zardoz
writes

Not really difficult - you can burn to CD from itunes and then rip the
CD back to MP3.

You'd do all that just to transfer an MP3?

That's what MP3ers refer to as an X-RIP btw (as I've found out). It's
like re JPEG-ing JPEGs. Because off lossy compression, each time you
encode it the quality degrades more.

Yeah, but listening to the music through a pair of titchy earphones it
doesn't really matter..
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old January 21st 05, 08:35 AM
Zardoz

Sure - but why would you want to do it more than once?

When you rip it from the burnt CD that _is_ the second encoding.
Whether or not you'll notice that the quality has degraded tho'...

Old January 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
Carol Hague

Paul - xxx wrote:

If I had an Apple, I'd probably love an iPod .. I don't, so I can't be
arsed to even try one, to be truthful ..

Um.... you do know that iPods will work with PCs too, right?

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"
Old January 22nd 05, 08:29 AM
Paul - xxx

Carol Hague composed the following;:
Paul - xxx wrote:

If I had an Apple, I'd probably love an iPod .. I don't, so I can't
be arsed to even try one, to be truthful ..

Um.... you do know that iPods will work with PCs too, right?

Yup.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
Old January 22nd 05, 10:27 AM
Carol Hague

Paul - xxx wrote:

If I had an Apple, I'd probably love an iPod .. I don't, so I can't
be arsed to even try one, to be truthful ..

Um.... you do know that iPods will work with PCs too, right?

Yup.

Just checking! :-)

nosy old batWhy do you think you'd like one if you had a Mac but not
otherwise? /nosy old bat

Ours is quite old now (we bought it not long after they first came out)
and I still love it to bits.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:40 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:54:40 +0000, Zardoz wrote in
message :

Oh don't get me started on Apple Evangelists. If I had as much money
as one of them I'd be happy with an overpriced computer.

Strange, isn't it, that Mac users seem to be rich? I'm not rich, but
I loved my Macs and I am going to get one of those new mini ones. I
got 8 years' daily use out of one Mac, which is not bad going for any
computer.

My favourite Mac evangelist was Douglas Adams. These days it's
Stephen Fry.

Overpriced? You say. Maybe that's why Apple still have that little
thing called a profit margin, so conspicuously absent among most
computer hardware makers these days ;-)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
Old January 22nd 05, 06:29 PM
Paul - xxx

Paul - xxx wrote:

If I had an Apple, I'd probably love an iPod .. I don't, so I can't
be arsed to even try one, to be truthful ..

Um.... you do know that iPods will work with PCs too, right?

Yup.

Just checking! :-)

nosy old batWhy do you think you'd like one if you had a Mac but not
otherwise? /nosy old bat

I'm sure I'd like one anyway. I don't like Apple stuff on the whole,
probably in much the same way and for similar reasons that many people
don't like Microsoft stuff. I dislike iTunes being quite so
proprietary, which makes them a bit of a farce to download and 'share'
between all the other devices we use. I know there are ways to
circumvent everything given time and tuits, but why bother ...

ie, if I buy a CD, I might copy it for the car, or mostly I extract a
few tracks as MP3's to my main desktop computer, mix them with other
tracks and burn a home brewed CDR for the car, for the caravan and maybe
another for the walkman. I might also copy the MP3's to my laptop, to
my sons desktop and my other sons laptop, not all of which have the same
OS on them. I might also copy or download them to my small MP3 player,
or to my sons better MP3 players etc etc.

I seriously doubt that some of the kit we have would be compatible with
Apple kit, and to be honest, I can't be arsed to try. What we have
works and I see no real reason, yet, to change.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
(8(!) Homer Rules ...

cool site [email protected] Recumbent Biking 3 January 13th 05 03:28 AM
Cool pics? The_SkunkMan Unicycling 14 December 7th 04 08:20 PM
cool dust caps thinuniking Unicycling 9 June 4th 04 10:26 AM
Cool new trials vids TonyMelton Unicycling 13 November 24th 03 05:54 PM
FS: Lots Of Cool High End Stuff CBILLS Marketplace 1 July 26th 03 10:48 PM