First roadie, sora vs 105

Old March 5th 07, 02:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

Default First roadie, sora vs 105

I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I'm not looking to spend heaps of cash, partly because I figure there's
less embarrassment in being passed by much fitter people when you're on
a cheap bike ;-)

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a
lot of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Given this'll be my first road bike, I'm leaning toward the cheaper
option so I can get used to this "roadie" concept and perhaps in a
couple of years I might see reason to upgrade.

Opinions / thoughts?

Cheers,
Jules
Old March 5th 07, 02:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
petulance

On Mar 5, 1:06 pm, Jules wrote:

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a
lot of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Opinions / thoughts?

snipped bits and pieces

what is the price difference?

A few things to note
- Sora is 8 speed while the new 105 is 10 speed
- the Sora shifter might be different to the other Shimano shifters.
There is a smaller lever on all Shimano shifters to perform an
upshift. This smaller lever is not present on one or two types of Sora
shifters.

Oh, and if you do end up getting the Sora equipped roadie, give me a
yell if you need a replacement 8 speed chain. I have an 8-speed Dura
Ace chain in the original packing that I'm am trying to get rid
off ...

Old March 5th 07, 02:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_13_]

It really depends on how many k's you plan on doing, and how long you
plan to keep the bike for.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards 105 - it'll last a lot longer and be
more reliable.

But that's just my opinion.

I like your attitude about being passed - that's great!

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old March 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_4_]

Ahh...don't forget that there is the Tiagra groupo that sit's between
Sora and 105. The impression that I'm getting is that Tiagra has been
all dressed up this time around and is awesome value. It also offers 3
crank options: 52/39 double, 50/34 compact double, and a 50/39/30
triple. I reckon it'd be as good as 105 USED to be, which is GOOD!!

IMO, i'd go for this and forget Sora. Sora is for bikes that sit in
the shed.

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 5th 07, 03:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Jules wrote:

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped bike.

Isn't Tiagra in between those two?

DaveB
Old March 5th 07, 03:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

I thought the ergonomics were different too, Sora has the thumbshifter
that is like a poor imitation of Campag.

Old March 5th 07, 03:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_8_]

Jules Wrote:
I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I'm not looking to spend heaps of cash, partly because I figure there's
less embarrassment in being passed by much fitter people when you're on
a cheap bike ;-)

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped
bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a
lot of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Given this'll be my first road bike, I'm leaning toward the cheaper
option so I can get used to this "roadie" concept and perhaps in a
couple of years I might see reason to upgrade.

Opinions / thoughts?

Cheers,
Jules

Sora is definately a cut below the rest of the shimano road groups.
I'll try to sum up the differences in the 07 lines, although I may not
be 100% accurate:

Sora:
8 speed
Upshifter in different location, which is hard to reach in the drops
Octalink cranks/BB

Tiagra
9 speed
Indictators built into shifter
External bearing cranks

105
10 speed
External bearing cranks

As you move up the groupsets they also become lighter and more durable.
My personal recomendation would be Tiagra if you are after value. It's a
big step up from sora for little $. The cranks are a big jump up too,
but you've got to find a bike with the shimano cranks to benifit from
that.

--
SomeGuy

Old March 5th 07, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"Jules" wrote in message
I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I'm not looking to spend heaps of cash, partly because I figure there's
less embarrassment in being passed by much fitter people when you're on a
cheap bike ;-)

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped
bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a lot
of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Given this'll be my first road bike, I'm leaning toward the cheaper option
so I can get used to this "roadie" concept and perhaps in a couple of
years I might see reason to upgrade.

Opinions / thoughts?

Cheers,
Jules

I would suggest Tiagra at the minimum as Sora is quite a step down in
quality from Tiagra & 105 and above.

Old March 5th 07, 04:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Jules wrote:
I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I'm not looking to spend heaps of cash, partly because I figure there's
less embarrassment in being passed by much fitter people when you're on
a cheap bike ;-)

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a
lot of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Given this'll be my first road bike, I'm leaning toward the cheaper
option so I can get used to this "roadie" concept and perhaps in a
couple of years I might see reason to upgrade.

Opinions / thoughts?

Get Tiagra or 105. Sora is for bikes that don't get ridden much.

Tiagra & 105 can be upgraded as they wear out, sora is always sora.

Old March 5th 07, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-03-05, Jules (aka Bruce)
I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I had a dream lastnight. Getting on a hybrid and going *sooo* slowly
despite all my effort. I do hope it was because in the upright
position I couldn't put the power down, and not simply that I have
become so unfit.

--
TimC
"This company performed an illegal operation but they will not be shut

Roadie vs. MTB - Why? busysteve General 11 June 24th 06 01:51 PM
Becoming a roadie micky Australia 10 June 14th 05 01:15 AM
FA: Gunnar Roadie 52 -53 cm [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 26th 05 07:38 AM
So, would you make it as a roadie? Paladin Mountain Biking 13 October 19th 04 04:41 AM
Sora? JDTPumps Techniques 7 July 18th 03 05:37 PM