A couple of questions about modern bikes

Old November 4th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Default A couple of questions about modern bikes

Having just leapt into 21st century cycling, a couple of questions come
to mind.
Is there any special care that I should give the polymer brake levers,
carbon fibre forks and seatpin? Do solvents and oil affect them?
I'll know that I'm really converted when I stop reaching for the
downtube to change gear!
Roger Thorpe
Old November 4th 08, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Having just leapt into 21st century cycling, a couple of questions
come to mind.
Is there any special care that I should give the polymer brake levers,
carbon fibre forks and seatpin?

The finish requires no maintenance.

Do solvents and oil affect them?

Possibly some strong solvents might, but I wouldn't worry too much. You
souldn't be in the habit of splashing gallons of oil and solvent all over
the place anyway. Less is more! Don't grease a carbon seatpost, btw.

I'll know that I'm really converted when I stop reaching for the
downtube to change gear!

I was still doing that occasionally five years after I removed mine.

~PB

Old November 5th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"Pete Biggs" t wrote
I'll know that I'm really converted when I stop reaching for the
downtube to change gear!

I was still doing that occasionally five years after I removed mine.

Wierdly I recently found myself reaching with my thumb for the Sturmey
Archer 3-speed lever.
I haven't used one of those for 20 years.

Old November 10th 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 10th 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:23:25 +0000
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

Roger Thorpe wrote:

I'll know that I'm really converted when I stop reaching for the
downtube to change gear!

Downtube? Pah! Yoofer terday, when I was a lad you took the wheel off
and turned it round to get the other gear...

Luddite, what you want is one of them Osgear doodads.

Old November 10th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:

I'll know that I'm really converted when I stop reaching for the
downtube to change gear!

Downtube? Pah! Yoofer terday, when I was a lad you took the wheel off
and turned it round to get the other gear...

And you don't look a day over 105 :-)
http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/detail.php?id=4

In completely unrelated news, I was told by my wife at the weekend that
"this one is newer and better" is not an adequate excuse for buying a
fifth bike (Dawes Audax Supreme in Mike's Bikes closing sale for £450,
now sold - but it wasn't the ideal size, and those grapes were sour).
But I am allowed a new folder, since I have an answer to "what's wrong
with the one you have?" for that.

Today, a mail from HR at work about car parking says "so are exploring
seriously alternatives ... Cycle2Work ...".

Does anyone know if the usual £1000 limit on Cycle2Work type scheme
bikes includes VAT, or if you get to allow for that being reclaimed before
considering the credit limit? I suspect a Birdy City isn't going to be an
option.
Old November 10th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 10th 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 10th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On 10 Nov 2008, Alan Braggins wrote:

Does anyone know if the usual £1000 limit on Cycle2Work type scheme
bikes includes VAT, or if you get to allow for that being reclaimed
before considering the credit limit? I suspect a Birdy City isn't
going to be an option.

I believe it's what you pay back on the salary sacrifice that counts -
because the limit is related to the amount of credit given to you by
the employer. So it's 1000 after taking all the benefits your
employer offers you.

Your employer might put other limits on, of course.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old November 11th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

Alan Braggins wrote:

In completely unrelated news, I was told by my wife at the weekend that
"this one is newer and better" is not an adequate excuse for buying a
fifth bike (Dawes Audax Supreme in Mike's Bikes closing sale for £450,
now sold - but it wasn't the ideal size, and those grapes were sour).
But I am allowed a new folder, since I have an answer to "what's wrong
with the one you have?" for that.

Have you tried showing her the Newer and Better Wife, who allows
unrestricted bike purchases in return for continued provision of firm
male thighs in bed? No, perhaps we'd better not go there.

It's not practical anyway. My bike is nothing special, so finding a
newer better one is easy. My wife _is_ something special.

A couple of questions Jeff[_6_] General 9 March 1st 08 05:46 AM
I am new and I got a couple questions unifiend454 Unicycling 7 January 13th 06 12:04 AM
Couple Questions trials_uni Unicycling 0 October 30th 05 01:38 PM
Modern MTB questions Andy B Australia 4 March 16th 04 01:52 AM
A couple of questions... Dominic Richens Racing 3 July 9th 03 05:36 PM