derailler cable casing

Old October 8th 04, 04:23 PM
dcg

Default derailler cable casing

What is the short piece of stainless steel derailler casing attached
to the rear derailler on a road bike called? Where can I buy one? Do
they come in different sizes?

Thanks for your help.

David Griffith

Old October 8th 04, 05:56 PM
Gonzo Bob

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...id=92376202804

--
Gonzo Bob

Old October 8th 04, 05:56 PM
Gonzo Bob

Old October 9th 04, 07:45 AM
A Muzi

dcg wrote:

What is the short piece of stainless steel derailler casing attached
to the rear derailler on a road bike called? Where can I buy one? Do
they come in different sizes?

It's called 'obsolete'

If you're restoring a period bike, it is ,as you said,
'stainless gear casing'. We have it, as will LBS which
commonly service classic bicycles.

If you have a modern bike it would be called 'the problem'
because its slop would be deleterious to a crisp shift
response. Modern gear casing is different, a high-helix
casing of tempered wire with a PTFE liner. Any LBS has that.

Regarding length, as with all casing, shoot for a clean
economical curve. Avoid short runs which kink at the ends
and long cuts resulting in recurves. Take care to trim
evenly and use the appropriate ferrules which both keep the
casing from self-disassembling and prevent lost motion.
Even small amounts of 'slop' in a gear control is noticeable.

Oil wires in modern casing and grease wires in older unlined
stuff.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org