From Cycling to Running

Old August 17th 04, 02:25 AM
Threeducks

Jee Doy wrote:
After cycling a few years, I tried to go back to running. But now I noticed
how difficult it is to run. I haven't hooked myself up to my Polar heart rate
monitor, but I know my heart rate has got to be much faster than when riding.
After a 2 mile run at a 9 minute mile pace, I notice I'm tired and I feel that
my body temperature is higher. I ask myself, how can this be when I already am
close to 3,000 miles this year. I thought that I'm in shape. The main reason
for running is that some times I don't have the 1 hour in the mornings, and I
need to get some kind of workout so I figure 20 minutes of running will do
something. I just turned 58 but I didn't think age would be a factor. Is what
I'm experiencing normal?

Different muscles are in use and in different ways. I went through this
about 5 years ago. You will find that you fairly rapidly gain running
endurance since you have a good base due to cycling.

Old August 17th 04, 12:01 PM
Callistus Valerius

The main reason
for running is that some times I don't have the 1 hour in the mornings,

and I
need to get some kind of workout so I figure 20 minutes of running will do
something. I just turned 58 but I didn't think age would be a factor. Is

what
I'm experiencing normal?

Can you do both? I've found for myself that doing both were beneficial.
I run on Mondays and Fridays, and cycle the other days of the week. I found
that running a couple days a week keeps the cycling fresh. It seems to get
stale if I do too much cycling. I usually ride 200 miles a week, and run
two days for 1/2 hour, which is a good mix for me. I use to ride 300 miles
a week, but it would get stale, also I would accumulate some nagging muscle
pulls, etc. If you haven't run in a long time, it is painful at first, but
you quickly adapt. I don't think it interferes in a muscle way either. But
it is two separate sets of muscles that you use.

Old August 17th 04, 12:01 PM
Callistus Valerius

[...]

Explanation of TT and Tri bike geometry? John Haas General 7 December 2nd 04 04:12 PM
Bunch ride 3 flyingdutch Australia 111 July 14th 04 04:56 AM
The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes bikerider7 UK 141 May 31st 04 04:05 PM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli General 3 May 26th 04 02:01 AM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM