front of hip pain

Old August 17th 04, 10:35 AM
Jim Smith

Greg writes:

I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.

How old are you?

Sort of hard to tell where exactly you are describing the pain, sounds
kind of like the joint.

It could be lots of things. Could be arthritis.

Old August 17th 04, 06:11 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Greg wrote in message ...
I recently started riding again (150-200miles/week) after a long
layoff (20 years) and am experiencing some pain (after rides) in
front of, and just below the hip. I have not been stretching. Anybody
got any ideas on this and what to do. Right now, I just plan to ride
thrrough it and hope it gets better in time.

Use lower gears, go slower, limit mileage to 15miles per day. You have yet
to develop your cycle specific muscleculture. Your acting like a teenager
and wont make school in the morning. That's way too high a mileage for a
beginner. Learn to pedal in circles. Let the cranks move your legs, stop
pushing. Lift the back leg rather than pushing the front. If it hurts,
relax a bit until it dosen't.

It takes around six weeks of light pedalling on the bike to learn the skill
of cycling the legs. Pushing before this hinders progress. You must learn
to cycle, before you can tour.

Trevor

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
Fractured front cog? Badger_South General 9 July 6th 04 11:16 AM
Best front derailleur for half step plus granny Frank Miles Techniques 15 July 5th 04 11:30 PM
Fractured front cog? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Techniques 3 July 5th 04 09:03 PM