what is this phil wood tool for?

Old August 19th 04, 08:00 PM
Douglas Landau

Default what is this phil wood tool for?

I ended up with this recently...

http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

The little note was rolled up inside it.
This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
inside diameter is 19.5mm.

Anybody want it?

Thanks,
dkl

Old August 19th 04, 08:44 PM
Peter

serg wrote:

looks like some sort or lockring tool. either for a hub or a bb.

Removal tool for freewheels with splines. The Phil Wood version
had much thinner walls than the regular tools and this made it
possible to remove the freewheel without undoing the locknut and
cone from the axle.

"Douglas Landau" wrote in message
m...

I ended up with this recently...

http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

The little note was rolled up inside it.
This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
inside diameter is 19.5mm.

Anybody want it?

Nope, already have mine.

Old August 19th 04, 08:56 PM

Douglas Landau writes:

I ended up with this recently...

http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

The little note was rolled up inside it. This must be for a Phil
Wood BB? It has 20 splines. The outside diameter of the splines is
21.5mm. The inside diameter is 19.5mm.

Anybody want it?

That is a remover for Regina splined freewheels of the 4-speed kind
that were extended to 5-speeds in the 1950's with extending the 4th
sprockets and finally extended to piggy-backed 6-speed before cassette
hubs took over.

It belongs in a museum or in the tool box of a bicycle shop that on
some occasions needs to work on such a wheel.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 19th 04, 11:27 PM
Jeff Wills

(Douglas Landau) wrote in message om...
I ended up with this recently...

http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

The little note was rolled up inside it.
This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
inside diameter is 19.5mm.

Anybody want it?

Thanks,
dkl

It fits a Regina freewheel. The original Regina tools required
removing a couple of the drive-side spacers before the tool could be
inserted in the freewheel. Since Phil hubs have solid, large-diameter
axles, they required a special thin-wall tool to remove Regina splined
freewheels.

Jeff
Old August 21st 04, 04:24 AM
Jim Adney

On 19 Aug 2004 12:00:00 -0700 (Douglas Landau) wrote:

I ended up with this recently...

http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

The little note was rolled up inside it.
This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
inside diameter is 19.5mm.

Anybody want it?

If you still have it, I could use it. What would you like for it?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old August 23rd 04, 05:40 PM
Arthur Shapiro

I've got two of 'em in the tool drawer, along with Suntour two- and four-prong
tools, and other stuff like that. The odds of any being used again are about
the same as my riding in the Tour de France. Am I the only one too silly to
throw things away?

Art
Old August 24th 04, 04:41 PM
David Damerell

Jay Beattie wrote:
your thin-walled Phil tool getting them off). Ah, those were the
days of long handled wrenches when men were men. I figure in
five or six years from now, we will have new posters showing us
pictures of bottom bracket pin spanners and asking "what were
these for?" -- Jay Beattie.

They're still used for synch chain tension on tandems. Anyway, that's what
I use mine for.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!