In what ways can WoJ be a useful group for cyclists?

Old September 17th 05, 04:04 PM
Peter Signorini

Default In what ways can WoJ be a useful group for cyclists?

"Kathy" wrote:

Resound wrote:

"Kathy" wrote:

And as soon as I get more confidence and a bit more fitness (but mainly
confidence!) I will be riding to/from a couple of days a week and seeing
whether I can work it up from there... It's something to investigate over
these holidays - whether I CAN ride the distance to work or not!

How far is it?

Hmmm... the very non-commital answer from Dave is about 9k... Basically,
hasn't actually been measured yet... Will let you know in a few weeks!

After viewing the video of the cycling scene in Copenhagen (see
http://www.vejpark.kk.dk/byenstrafik/cyklernesby/uk/) last Sunday I got
motivated to ride to work. It's 10 kms, but no suitable showers or lockers
at work, so I haven't been commuting. But I decided if all those people in
Copenhagen can cycle in their work clothes I'll try it too. So far this week
I've ridden 3 days, one day (Mon) with rain both ways, and one got rained on
in the morning. But it's been a ball. Takes 5 mins longer than driving (30
mins) and I get to work sooooo much happier because I don't have to sit
fuming in a traffic jam. My commute goes though either Mitcham/Whitehorse
Rds or Springvale/Whithorse Rds, listed as two of the seven worst congestion
points in the Age last week.

The secret to cycling in work clothes and not getting too sweaty and
dishevelled is to ride just a little bit slower, and allow a suitable
cool-down coast for the last kilometre or so. The only thing I changed was
my shoes and socks, and on Mondays downpour I made good use of the Mont
Hammerhead jacket, overpants and overbooties. I stayed dry and enjoyed the
ride in the rain. It was so good that I intend to continue this when I get
back after the holidays. I have also picked up a pair of the Ground Effect
Ranchslider cycling trousers that I think will be good enough to wear at
work. They have a lined seat, velcro tabs to cinch up the ankles for
cycling, and are quick drying.

So Kathy you can ride the distance so give it a go.

Cheers
Peter

Old September 18th 05, 12:34 AM
Kathy

Peter Signorini wrote:

"Kathy" wrote:

Resound wrote:

"Kathy" wrote:

And as soon as I get more confidence and a bit more fitness (but mainly
confidence!) I will be riding to/from a couple of days a week and seeing
whether I can work it up from there... It's something to investigate over
these holidays - whether I CAN ride the distance to work or not!

How far is it?

Hmmm... the very non-commital answer from Dave is about 9k... Basically,
hasn't actually been measured yet... Will let you know in a few weeks!

After viewing the video of the cycling scene in Copenhagen (see
http://www.vejpark.kk.dk/byenstrafik/cyklernesby/uk/) last Sunday I got
motivated to ride to work. It's 10 kms, but no suitable showers or lockers
at work, so I haven't been commuting. snip

So Kathy you can ride the distance so give it a go.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter - I will!

Old September 18th 05, 11:53 PM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-09-17, Peter Signorini wrote:
The secret to cycling in work clothes and not getting too sweaty and
dishevelled is to ride just a little bit slower, and allow a suitable
cool-down coast for the last kilometre or so. The only thing I changed was
my shoes and socks, and on Mondays downpour I made good use of the Mont
Hammerhead jacket, overpants and overbooties.

*fx: light bulb*

There's an excuse for buying a drysuit for my diving! Cycling to work in
the rain, with work clothes underneath!

Old September 19th 05, 03:08 AM
David Trudgett

"Peter Signorini" writes:

The secret to cycling in work clothes and not getting too sweaty and
dishevelled is to ride just a little bit slower, and allow a suitable
cool-down coast for the last kilometre or so.

Exactly right. I should have remembered to mention that. Coasting nice
and easy lets you cool down and the breeze dries excess perspiration
if there is any.

I don't know what you do if the last 500m to kilometre is
uphill... ;-) Luckily, I don't have to worry about that! :-)

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am
strongly in favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilized
tribes."

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Old September 19th 05, 07:14 AM
sinus

David Trudgett Wrote:
"Peter Signorini" writes:

The secret to cycling in work clothes and not getting too sweaty and
dishevelled is to ride just a little bit slower, and allow a suitable
cool-down coast for the last kilometre or so.

Exactly right. I should have remembered to mention that. Coasting nice
and easy lets you cool down and the breeze dries excess perspiration
if there is any.

I don't know what you do if the last 500m to kilometre is
uphill... ;-) Luckily, I don't have to worry about that! :-)

Hold on to a tram?

--
sinus

Old September 19th 05, 10:09 AM
Resound

On 2005-09-17, Peter Signorini wrote:
The secret to cycling in work clothes and not getting too sweaty and
dishevelled is to ride just a little bit slower, and allow a suitable
cool-down coast for the last kilometre or so. The only thing I changed
was
my shoes and socks, and on Mondays downpour I made good use of the Mont
Hammerhead jacket, overpants and overbooties.

*fx: light bulb*

There's an excuse for buying a drysuit for my diving! Cycling to work in
the rain, with work clothes underneath!

Ooh yes! That way you can save all that lovely sweat from the spectre of
evaporation! Mmmm, squidgy.