Anybody has built a pvc training roller?

Old December 5th 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Anybody has built a pvc training roller?

Don't forget the grounding cable for the rider so that the static
charge can be drained off before dismounting.

Good idea!
Old December 6th 05, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 23:41:05 -0800, wrote:

Two concerns come to mind.

1. What level on concentricity does standard PVC have?
2. What would the wear rate be for the rollers?

My guess is that PVC will have worst concentricity than cheap $200 rollers
and that the PVC will wear noticeably with moderate use. Also note that PCV
for water use is spec for low temp use. If they heat up appreciably ~180 F
I would expect them to deform.

Don't forget the grounding cable for the rider so that the static
charge can be drained off before dismounting.

Actually, I had a set of rollers in the 70's that really did seem like
PVC pipe - whatever that plastic was that they were made of, they
appeared to be lathe turned after assembly judging by the grooves on the
drums. I forget what the endcaps were made of, but you really did build
up a big static charge riding those things. Now that I think of it, I
think the brand was MTD; bought em from Bike Warehouse (now Nashbar).

Mark

A cool £million for cycle training Bertie Wiggins UK 2 November 26th 05 02:04 PM
Track Sprint Training Hamish Ferguson Racing 0 October 8th 05 11:16 AM
Holy Roller Mikefule Unicycling 11 October 3rd 05 10:50 AM
Lactate testing / training [email protected] Racing 18 July 18th 04 08:37 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM