20" kid's MTB suggestions?

Old December 5th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 20" kid's MTB suggestions?

Howdy,

I am in the market for a 20" MTB style kid's bike. I am looking for
aluminum frame, 6 speeds or so, twist-shift, and ideally 10kg or less.

So far I like the Jamis Fester 20" the best. (They are updating their
site right now, so no link) I like the solid fork, the adjustable stem,
the "real" seatpost, and the seat looks pretty durable.

Another option is the Kona Makena. But this has a cheesy seatpost, not
as nice a seat, not as nice a stem, and a suspension fork. I think the
suspension fork just makes it heavier and certainly doesn't have any
dampening effect, so it's utility is dubious.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...2&parentid=253

Any other suggestions for 20" MTB bikes? It is hilly enough around here
that multiple gears is a necessity, so BMX style bikes are out, since
my son now wants to come with me only longer trail rides than have so
far been possible with his single speed.

Joseph

Old December 5th 05, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

The Jamis site is up now with the 2006 bikes, and the Fester 20" now
comes with a suspension fork. And it weighs 4lbs more than the old one!

Joseph

Old December 5th 05, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Keep in mind the Specialized Hotrock 20. Your local LBS's probably have
some 2005 models in stock on blowout for the Christmas season.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 5th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
[...]

The Norwegian importer doesn't seem to have imported the 20" version.
:-(

Joseph

Old December 5th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Trek has a 20" 6 speed, its at
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1578600&f=32

HTH,
matt.

"Junior" Fatties?? Me Racing 167 August 11th 05 03:58 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Mt. Bike Pioneers Join Trips for Kids Fundraiser Marilyn Price General 0 January 28th 04 07:35 AM
Fat kids psycholist General 136 January 15th 04 02:55 AM
Dogs, kids and bicycles. Buck General 17 November 6th 03 02:29 AM