Driver license test - questions about peds & cyclists?

Old February 20th 06, 10:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Driver license test - questions about peds & cyclists?

cfsmtb wrote:
SomeGuy Wrote:

I got asked how much clearance you have to give a cyclist on my learners
test. It was one of two questions I got wrong :P. The correct answer was
two meters: I said one.

Learners online he http://tinyurl.com/jewn8
Despite never holding a license, I scored 30 out of 32. The closest I
got to holding a license was being partially interested in a defensive
driving course out at Calder. Then I lost interest.

If only I'd bought that VW from my brother in 1984 ..

I did a bunch of em

One insance was a swerve avoidence on a skid pan.. Everyone else
swerved and braked. Me and 1967 sprite swerved and accelerated. The
only ones to not hit any of the witches hats

Are you still interested in getting your bike learners?

Dave
Old February 20th 06, 10:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Bleve" writes:

Maybe the 30km/h thing is a big factor? I'd doubt if more questions on
a test would change anyone's agressive driving behaviour.

No, but at least everyone on the roads will know what the rules are.
Heck there are policemen out there who don't know it's legal for
cyclists to ride to abreast. That is appalling.

And, as much as I don't like it, seperating cars from bikes and bikes
from pedestrians makes it safer for us (bikes). Takes us out of the
firing line. But, so does sitting inside watching TV while riding a
spin trainer. Not an alternative I fancy much.

It's only slightly riskier riding a bike than it is to drive a car and
walking's riskier than riding a bike. Where's the justification for
separating bikes from cars, especially as riding get safer as more per
capita ride and there's more per capita riding.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 20th 06, 10:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:
"Bleve" writes:

Maybe the 30km/h thing is a big factor? I'd doubt if more questions on
a test would change anyone's agressive driving behaviour.

No, but at least everyone on the roads will know what the rules are.
Heck there are policemen out there who don't know it's legal for
cyclists to ride to abreast. That is appalling.

And, as much as I don't like it, seperating cars from bikes and bikes
from pedestrians makes it safer for us (bikes). Takes us out of the
firing line. But, so does sitting inside watching TV while riding a
spin trainer. Not an alternative I fancy much.

It's only slightly riskier riding a bike than it is to drive a car and
walking's riskier than riding a bike. Where's the justification for
separating bikes from cars, especially as riding get safer as more per
capita ride and there's more per capita riding.

I do absolutely agree with Euan. And who says you are out of the
firing line? Sheesh. Any idea how many peds get skittled by cars..
when they are on the footpath? Its significant. People have been
killed in their beds. In kindergartens.

Incidently I will bet that no one has ever been killed by a cyclist
crashing into their house. (might limit that to in australia tho)

The things that you think are dangerous often are not the things that
are dangerous. THe safest sport in Australia is supposed to be target
shooting. The most dangerous mainstream sport Lawn Bowles. (The most
dangerous sport is supposed to be cave diving with 1 in 10 people killed
every year.. but that just shows that occasionally what looks dangerous
really is

Dave
Old February 20th 06, 11:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-20, dave (aka Bruce)
Incidently I will bet that no one has ever been killed by a cyclist
crashing into their house. (might limit that to in australia tho)

My dad got a hole in his fibro wall from a motorcyclist -- a postie
bike

--
TimC
It was... weird. Death was smaller than I imagined

I have nothing to say, I just can't resist quoting this out of context.
-- Steve VanDevenver replying to Satya on ASR
Old February 20th 06, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-20, dave (aka Bruce)

Incidently I will bet that no one has ever been killed by a cyclist
crashing into their house. (might limit that to in australia tho)

My dad got a hole in his fibro wall from a motorcyclist -- a postie
bike

Its a fair bet someone on a motorcycle has done it Rare but.

You know how the lanesplitting law will add only minimally to the time
we take to complete a journey? (yes thats what the proposal says)

Well it would add about 3 hours to this guys 10 minute journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtX...rch=motorcycle

Thats wot? lots of %

Dave
Old February 20th 06, 11:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

rooman wrote:
snip

I also want to see any driver invloved in hitting a cyclist required to
ride a bike under supervision on the road for three months logged before
they can drive again...

Yes. I love it. And let em have a motorbike licence back first. Then
a LOW powered car. And make em wait for the Pajaro.

Dave
Old February 20th 06, 11:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:

My dad got a hole in his fibro wall from a motorcyclist -- a postie
bike

So it seems being hit by traffic is a C family trait

Parbs
Old February 20th 06, 11:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-20, Parbs (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

My dad got a hole in his fibro wall from a motorcyclist -- a postie
bike

So it seems being hit by traffic is a C family trait

Oh, he had a lot of two wheel stories, motorised and not.

I wish I was interested in cycling when he was still alive -- could
have asked him all sorts of questions about racing.

--
TimC
I don't want Perl to be beautiful -- I want you to write
Old February 20th 06, 11:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-20, dave (aka Bruce)
You know how the lanesplitting law will add only minimally to the time
we take to complete a journey? (yes thats what the proposal says)

Well it would add about 3 hours to this guys 10 minute journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtX...rch=motorcycle

Struth! What a dickhead! Putting a lot of faith in his fellow road
users.

Agressive riding around the other riders.

--
TimC
The Sell Dervers are balanced behind another Sell Derver, and both
Old February 20th 06, 11:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-20, Parbs (aka Bruce)

TimC wrote:

My dad got a hole in his fibro wall from a motorcyclist -- a postie
bike

So it seems being hit by traffic is a C family trait

Oh, he had a lot of two wheel stories, motorised and not.

I wish I was interested in cycling when he was still alive -- could
have asked him all sorts of questions about racing.

watch that crash video Tim. Watch her shadow. See she pulls both her
legs up and is on the tank when she hits the car. THats how an expert
crashes. And thats what you need. Not advice about racing.. we all
know you are as tough as nails (and twice as bright) But your crash
skills are crap. You need advice on crashing )

Dave