Training for higher cadence

Old July 19th 04, 09:50 PM
Peter Cole

Default Training for higher cadence

"Rick Onanian" wrote

I spun away for years at 80 or 90 rpm. One day I decided to rebel
and pedaled at 60. All of a sudden, I was flying along like a real
bicyclist, at speeds that other cyclists go. Later, I wasn't half as
tired as usual. That was the day I realized that you can only tell
me what works for _you_.

Although I sometimes ride a fixed gear bike at over 30 (mph), my usual cadence
when I have the choice is much slower -- 60 or less, I'd guess. I've read that
cycling is a "self-optimizing" activity, and I've always been skeptical about
forcing things. That said, on very long, hard, rides, with a lot of climbing
(like centuries & beyond), I've found that spinning a lower gear can increase
muscular endurance, delay cramping, and mitigate some soreness. Preserving
muscle capacity is important in road racing, since it enhances the ability to
accelerate quickly, and that may be important. For flat out speed over
moderate distances, where you're maintaining a constant output (like a time
trial), lower cadences work better. Since that's the way I do most of my
riding, the low cadence style works better for me.

Old July 20th 04, 12:44 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:09:43 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:

I'm just providing a different angle; if I don't say it, the OP will
go on believing that he's doing something terribly wrong by
pedalling at 70 rpm.

Hmmm. I said early in this thread that 70rpm might be good for this
guy. The problem I have with your commens isn't about any particular
cadence, it's about an anti-learnig and anti-experimenting attitude
that attacks suggestions of learning skills and changing oneself as a
"racer" attitude.

If my bit about differing individual cadences bugs you, then Frank
Krygowski's campaign to reduce h*lm*t wearing must really make you
fume.

I have no problem with recognizing that different people, different
types of riding and different situations suggest different cadences.
I have a big problem with someone looking to change themselves and you
saying, in effect, "Don't bother unless you're racing" and "whatever
you do know if probably best unless you're a racer." That's a lazy
approach to life. There's nothting wrong with it insofar as we can't
all be striving to improve all the time. But advocating it generally
is lame.

JT
Old July 20th 04, 06:08 PM
freejack

Trainright.com has a good article on pedaling in circles and how to
improve your cadence. A friend of mine had the same problem and this
fixed it.

Link to article (Circles of Victory):

http://tinyurl.com/6vkdq

H Wrote:
I recently installed a computer that tells me my cadence. Before
installing it, I had thought my cadence was at a proper "aerobic"
level-- I thought it was around 90.

I was shocked to find that my cadence is actually in the 70's.

So I've started trying to bring my cadence up. I find that in many
situations where I need to rest in a lower gear that I "bounce" in my
seat. For example, if I am on a road with traffic and I don't want to
go 18+mph and I have to switch to a lower gear, I end up bouncing hard
if I maintain the high cadence. In a higher gear, I find that I don't
have this problem.

I'm not sure if bouncing is the right word, but it feels like whatever
muscles are connected to my pelvis aren't working in sync with the
rest of my legs.

So, my question is.... what is the best way to train oneself to use a
higher cadence? How do you solve the "bouncing" problem? Is it
something that I just have to suffer through until my motor skills get
it? Or is there something I can do to help this along?

--
freejack

Old August 16th 04, 10:10 PM

So, I was the OP in this thread a month ago.

I just wanted to report back what I found after 4 weeks of
deliberately trying to increase my cadence:

1) I was able to pull up to low to mid 80's when I started I was in
the low 70's. I did what several posters have suggested: by backing
off my cadence until the bouncing stops and I can sustain smooth
pedaling. The "mud-scraping" visualization helps.

2) It seems (for me at least) that efficient pedalling at 80+ rpm is
sensitive to the torque I am putting on the cranks. There appears to
be a threshold torque below which it becomes hard to stay
"synchronized" (not bounce) at high cadences. With practice, I think
this threshold torque has gone down.

3) I am definately at a different operating mode than when I am
commuting. I'm not sure if I am faster overall, but I do feel like I
am recovering more easily after hills.

4) It was a fun excerise and at least it got me to think more about
pedaling. I plan to try a fixed gear soon for fun and experiment with
that as a way to improve form as some posters have recommended.