glueless patches

Old December 21st 03, 06:25 PM
Pete Hickey

Default glueless patches

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Sheldon Brown wrote:
Sheldon "Not As If Real Patches Were Hard" Brown

There is the frozen glue problem;

Frozen glue? How cold? I've patched a tire at around -10F (coldest
I ever had a flat) and had no problem with frozen glue.

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."
J. Moran
Old December 21st 03, 06:48 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

has anyone had any problems with glueless patches unsticking themselves
when
they have some pressure put to them?

Had an issue with a repaired pinch flat, where the patch has lifted from

the
puncture itself...

had just repaired it again, so will see how this goes... just curious if
anyone else has had this, or maybe I put the first one on badly...

There are two distinct types of "glueless" patches. One, made popular by
Park, is a square patch of relatively stiff material, no feathered edge, and
a sticky side sort of like adhesive on a piece of tape. I find those are
*not* permanent.

The other, available under the name "Scabs" and also "WrenchForce", have a
much thinner, more flexible material and an adhesive similar to standard
patch glue, which is activated when peeled away from its backing. I've used
these as permanent patches, and they've been as reliable as a standard Rema
patch. The main advantage is that you don't have to deal with a tube of
glue that, once used, tends to dry up after a while. A standard patch
doesn't do you any good if you don't have any glue to use with it!

As they say, your mileage may vary, but I think the Park patches have given
a bad name to the concept. That's surprising, because in general, Park is a
very high quality company.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 21st 03, 07:16 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

They won't hold at road pressure (100 PSI) - they'll get you home, but
aren't a definitive fix. They will hold at MTB pressures (40 PSI). Not
worth it for road use, IMHO.

Same story here exactly. Good think I ride MTB almost exclusively now

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 21st 03, 07:24 PM
Ron Hardin

Pete Hickey wrote:

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Sheldon Brown wrote:
Sheldon "Not As If Real Patches Were Hard" Brown

There is the frozen glue problem;

Frozen glue? How cold? I've patched a tire at around -10F (coldest
I ever had a flat) and had no problem with frozen glue.

I've had it freeze at about 20F, and had to put it in a pocket
for quite a while to get it to flow.
--
Ron Hardin

Old December 21st 03, 07:46 PM
Carl Fogel

Jens Kr. Kirkebø wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:06:38 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

There's also the opposite school, which is mine at the moment, that flats
are rare enough on commutes that it just presents an opportunity to walk home
one day instead, and to hell with the toolkit entirely.

Yep, that's me. Never had a single flat since I switched to MTBs 3
years ago. I commute 11 miles daily year round, soon to be 17-18
miles. I carry no patch kit, no tubes and no pump. I don't even know
where my patch kit is anymore. It probably wouldn't do me any good in
0F temperatures anyway.

Dear Jens,

I'm always interested in flats--Friday was
number 24 in 339 rides for 2003, fewer than
usual, but still annoying.

I'm in Pueblo, Colorado, where goathead stickers
are a problem that some people solve with mountain
bike tires.

I'm guessing that you live in an area free of
mother nature's sharper seeds, but I'm still
curious what it's like wherever you are.

Did you switch to a mountain bike to avoid
flats? What kind of things were puncturing
your tires? Any rough guess as to how often
you had flats before switching--weekly,
monthly, a couple every year?

Carl Fogel
Old December 21st 03, 07:58 PM
Sheldon Brown

Andrew Morris asked:

has anyone had any problems with glueless patches unsticking
themselves when they have some pressure put to them?

Pete Biggs responded:

Yes, but I've also had success on other occasions with Giyo gluless
patches at 130psi. They tend to be more reliable in dry conditions, but
still best saved for emergencies only, and then replaced promptly with a
proper patch.

Why patch tube twice, when you only need to do it once if you do it
right? That seems like a LOT of extra work for nothing.

Carry some but only in addition to a normal puncture repair
kit (and spare tube).

I'll agree there. I don't do on-the-road patching unless I get _two_
flats in the same ride.

For one flat, I'll just replace the tube.

When I get home, I'll patch the old one. I accumulate these and do them
in batches. Working at home, I use a jar of rubber cement rather than
the tubes of glue that come with patch kits. That way, I can leave the
glue tube in factory sealed condition, so it doesn't dry out on me and
leave me in the lurch if I ever need it on the road.

Patching properly, in a warm, dry, well-lighted workshop results in a
very reliable job. I buff the tubes with my bench grinder...

Sheldon "Glueless Patches Are Too Much Work" Brown
| I don't believe in astrology. But then I'm an Aquarius, |
| and Aquarians don't believe in astrology. |
| --James R. F. Quirk |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old December 21st 03, 08:18 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Just zis Guy wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:54:10 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

90% of the work of proper patching is waiting for the cement to dry
before sticking patch on. Then there's the backing celophane/paper to
carefully remove. Only takes seconds to sand tube and apply glueless
patch.

I don't really count sitting waiting as work. But whatever.

Also, with all the patches I've used the backing is easy to remove since
it's perforated down the centre, and no real care is required.

--
Benjamin Lewis

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Old December 21st 03, 08:29 PM
Adam Rush

wrote:

There's also the opposite school, which is mine at the moment, that flats
are rare enough on commutes that it just presents an opportunity to walk home
one day instead, and to hell with the toolkit entirely.

Yep, that's me. Never had a single flat since I switched to MTBs 3
years ago. I commute 11 miles daily year round, soon to be 17-18
miles. I carry no patch kit, no tubes and no pump. I don't even know
where my patch kit is anymore. It probably wouldn't do me any good in
0F temperatures anyway.

Drive to work tomorrow.
Old December 21st 03, 08:43 PM
John Tserkezis

Pete Biggs wrote:

Like the man says, it's not like ordinary patches are
hard.

They are slower to apply.

The same could be said for glueless patches, you still have to look for the
puncture.

If you're worried about speed, carry spare tubes and a gas charge pump. The
trade-off is weight and cost.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org