Lube question about Record hubs

Old August 18th 04, 04:19 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Pete Biggs wrote in message ...
Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

That is an oil hole.

Campagnolo clearly describe it as a "greasing hole" in their instructions
and that "grease" should be "injected" into the hole.

That may be their intention, or there may have been a loss in the
translation. Which viscosity and type of 'grease' do they recommend? It
still comes to pass, that a hub is better lubricated with oil. The trouble
with lubricating with grease alone is that it dries out. The addition of
oil wets it with the lubricant and additives it requires, thereby saving an
otherwise early hub stripdown.

Trevor

Old August 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Trevor- That is an oil hole. BRBR

A little history here. Oil hole for one use track type events, way back when
where sluggish grease was thought to be a way to get slower. Used to be an oil
hole in the BB as well. Also sometimes for the time trial event of major
races(see 'Stars and Watercarriers', when the4 Bianchi dude is taking apart the
BB, to 'oil' it').

In modern Campagnolo hubs it is for grease. Anybody that oils their hubs on a
road bike is askin for a failed hub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 18th 04, 02:28 PM
Mark

"bfd" wrote in message link.net...
"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

That is an oil hole.

Campagnolo clearly describe it as a "greasing hole" in their instructions
and that "grease" should be "injected" into the hole.

You mean like here (scroll down to p.17, greasing):

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/178-FI...ost%202000.pdf

Thank you all for the advice, and for the Campy PDF Link. I knew you
folks would be able to help with the proper advice. Thanks, Mark
Old August 18th 04, 06:40 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
Trevor- That is an oil hole. BRBR

A little history here. Oil hole for one use track type events, way back

when
where sluggish grease was thought to be a way to get slower. Used to be an

oil
hole in the BB as well. Also sometimes for the time trial event of major
races(see 'Stars and Watercarriers', when the4 Bianchi dude is taking apart

the
BB, to 'oil' it').

In modern Campagnolo hubs it is for grease. Anybody that oils their hubs on

road bike is askin for a failed hub.

Is there any reason to preclude the use of oil? I am unaware of details of
current models.

Trevor

Old August 18th 04, 07:22 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:19:49 +0100, "Trevor Jeffrey"
wrote:

[snip]

The trouble
with lubricating with grease alone is that it dries out. The addition of
oil wets it with the lubricant and additives it requires, thereby saving an
otherwise early hub stripdown.

Trevor

Dear Trevor,

If grease is an oil soap, is the oil "dries out" in your
theory?

If so, why wouldn't plain oil do the same thing?

And why would the oil in grease not contain the same
additives?

Curiously,

Carl Fogel
Old August 18th 04, 07:48 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2004 13:16:54 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

Trevor- That is an oil hole. BRBR

A little history here. Oil hole for one use track type events, way back

when
where sluggish grease was thought to be a way to get slower. Used to be

an oil
hole in the BB as well. Also sometimes for the time trial event of major
races(see 'Stars and Watercarriers', when the4 Bianchi dude is taking

apart the
BB, to 'oil' it').

In modern Campagnolo hubs it is for grease. Anybody that oils their hubs

on a
road bike is askin for a failed hub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Dear Peter,

Why would a hub lubricated with oil instead of grease fail?
Is it a matter of the oil leaking out, lower viscosity, or
what?

Unctuously,

Carl Fogel

I was using 30w motor oil to lube my older Campagnolo hubs.
I would give a shot of oil in the oil hole about every two weeks. This is
when I was riding/commuting everyday to work, about 30 miles. Finally after
two years, I took apart the hubs to check out the wear on the bearings and
race. To my surprise, there was very little wear.
-tom

Old August 18th 04, 09:43 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Tom Nakashima wrote in message ...
I was using 30w motor oil to lube my older Campagnolo hubs.
I would give a shot of oil in the oil hole about every two weeks. This is
when I was riding/commuting everyday to work, about 30 miles. Finally

after
two years, I took apart the hubs to check out the wear on the bearings and
race. To my surprise, there was very little wear.
-tom

Worn in, rather than worn out.

Trevor

Old August 19th 04, 01:39 AM
Mark

(Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message ...
Trevor- That is an oil hole. BRBR

A little history here. Oil hole for one use track type events, way back when
where sluggish grease was thought to be a way to get slower. Used to be an oil
hole in the BB as well. Also sometimes for the time trial event of major
races(see 'Stars and Watercarriers', when the4 Bianchi dude is taking apart the
BB, to 'oil' it').

In modern Campagnolo hubs it is for grease. Anybody that oils their hubs on a
road bike is askin for a failed hub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Hi Peter, I can understand these thoughts, and the reasons why.
Naturally the heat generated by bicycle hubs is nowhere near the
extreme temps encountered with Auto hubs/spindles, but I imagine the
same principal applies. Greases offers better protection in these
instances.

If oiling wheel bearings was such a good idea, we'd be doing it on our
cars.
The old fashoined Train Wheel journal bearing boxes though were at one
time using just oil. All modern Train wheel's Journal bearings now use
grease. I take it that engineers discovered that grease was a better
lubricant for protection under extreme conditions, and loads.

Oils have a tendency not to stay put where applied, unless some type
of "bath" could be maintained. Thier protection giving properties
would not last very long if the bearings could not remain in a
constant oil bath.

I love topics like this! Thanks all again, Mark

Campag Question Simonb UK 8 March 2nd 04 08:00 PM
Vanity chain lube Rick Onanian Techniques 25 February 11th 04 06:16 PM