Compatible freewheels w/ '87 Shimano 600?

Old August 25th 04, 09:55 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Compatible freewheels w/ '87 Shimano 600?

I have a '87 Shimano 600 6-speed cogset on my rear wheel and it's worn
out. I need new cogs. I think this might be a cassette, but I suppose
there's a cog-body involved. To get fresh gears on this bike, do I have
to replace with another S-600 setup? Or are there other
freewheels/cassettes/freehubs that will work? I like a range of 14-32
ideally.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old August 25th 04, 10:31 PM
Sheldon Brown

Jeff Potter wrote:

I have a '87 Shimano 600 6-speed cogset on my rear wheel and it's worn
out. I need new cogs. I think this might be a cassette, but I suppose
there's a cog-body involved. To get fresh gears on this bike, do I have
to replace with another S-600 setup? Or are there other
freewheels/cassettes/freehubs that will work? I like a range of 14-32
ideally.

First, you need to figure out if it's a freewheel or a cassette Freehub.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7 to determine this.

The 600EX shifters are a fundamentally deficient design, and most of
them have broken by now. If yours hasn't, it likely will pretty soon,
so you might want to think about upgrading to 7 or more sprockets.

If your setup is a thread-on freewheel, a 7-speed freewheel will fit
right on. You can shift it with any 7-speed Shimano shifter.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels

and: http://sheldonbrown.com/shifters

If your system is a cassette Freehub, it would be the old Uniglide type,
which is no longer supported. In that case, best would be to upgrade
the Freehub body to 7-or more speeds.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7

Sheldon "Where There's A Will" Brown
| There are several good protections against temptation, |
| but the surest is cowardice. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 26th 04, 12:08 AM
Gonzo Bob

If it is a cassette hub, any Shimano 6-speed Uniglide cassette will wor
*except* Dura-ace. I've been able to find Unglide cassettes and loos
cogs at www.loosescrews.com . Not a wide selection, but you might b
able to find what you need.

If it is a freewheel, you can also get Shimano Uniglide and Hyperglid
6-speed freewheels and loose cogs at www.loosescrews.com . I have
Shimano Uniglide 6-speed freewheels (Dura-ace, 600, and an unknow
cheapie) and have been able to keep them all running by replacing wor
cogs. The bodies of all three are compatible

--
Gonzo Bob