Thanks for the Canadian advice!

Old September 12th 05, 01:21 PM
NY Rides

Default Thanks for the Canadian advice!

After months, perhaps a year, of tapping this group for advice about "casual
rides" in Toronto and Ottawa, my wife and I finally took the trip this past
weekend. I had asked about rides in both places that were gentle enough for
my wife, who loves to ride but is not big on hills or great distances - and
you guys really came through.

Actually, I see now why many people suggested that we rent some bikes and
just ride. With all my mapping and planning, it turned out that the rides
we did in both places were no brainers. You see, here in New York, you kind
of have to work a little to find a bike path. On the Toronto Waterfront and
along Ottawa's Rideau Canal, the bike paths practically come right to you.
So, essentially, we got on the bikes and rode until we were finished riding.

As far as Toronto, the Toronto Islands turned out to be the cooler of the
options, as the Lake Shore Boulevard path west from Spadina took a long time
to get as nice as I thought it would be. But Centre Island and Ward's
Island were worth the whole trip.

In Ottawa, we rode the canal from downtown to the loch Hog's Back, then
crossed over and rode back on the other side. We then continued past
downtown and around the Parliament buildings for a while. When it came time
to return the bikes, we didn't want to give them up. I'm still not sure my
wife realizes how far she rode that day.

Anyway, thanks to all for the assistance in planning this trip. If anyone
is ever looking for some good low-impact rides in the New York/Long Island
area, feel free to contact me - or check my site at
www.geocities.com/NYRides.

Just bought secondhand bike need advice [email protected] UK 19 April 15th 05 05:07 PM
Sounding off: On unsound wheels and sound advice Luke Techniques 10 May 15th 04 08:12 PM
Advice on a New Bike Paul_Rawlings UK 6 January 17th 04 07:34 PM
1st aid advice needed please Sofa Unicycling 16 September 15th 03 01:03 AM
Need advice about a used bike! Adam Mountain Biking 1 August 14th 03 12:12 AM