How often do you get a flat tire ?

Old August 10th 04, 07:43 AM
Gazza

Default How often do you get a flat tire ?

How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.

Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyres ?

Old August 10th 04, 07:50 AM
atacca

"Gazza" wrote in message
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.

Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyres ?

I'm about the same as you and I consider that fairly lucky, especially as
most of my riding is on the freeway where trucks shred tires all the time.
I have michelin tires with kevlar. I've had months go without a flat and
I've had 4 flats in two days, almost entirely due to the thin steel wire
from the truck tires.

The kevlar seems to work though, as I remember one day a 2-3 inch nail went
into the tire but not through, I'd say it hit the reinforcment and skewed
sideways (which then proceded to smack into my stays every time the wheel
turned till I stopped). Possibly that event alone could of cost me at least
the price of a new tire.

Old August 10th 04, 07:55 AM
hippy

Gazza Wrote:
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?
I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.
Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyre
?

I've gone 12 months on a Kevlar beaded and belted mtb slick and I've
had multiple road bike punctures in a week. Glass sucks!
I think the Kevlar belt probably helps but it might have an effect on
the tyre's performance and I've heard that eventually the Kevlar belt
wears through the rubber.
Every few months could be good or bad depending on kays and what
you ride on. You could try tyre liners (Mr. Tuffy??)

hipp

--
hippy

Old August 10th 04, 08:03 AM
flyingdutch

probably average one every 2 months but thats riding 6 days a wee
average 250-300k/week on mtb commuter and roady on Sundays

Is always glass (last night's nail was a novelty. NOT!

--
flyingdutch

Old August 10th 04, 08:05 AM
Dej

"Gazza" wrote in message
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.

Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyres ?

in a year (only been riding a roady for a year) i've had 3 flats.
one on last years round the bay, one a while back after running over some
unavoidable glass and one 2 weeks ago which was a valve problem..
As for tyres, i've used a mix of panaracer, vittoria and conti's (the rear's
dont last long cos im a bit of a fat *******). I usually just get whatever
is on sale from phantom cycles

Old August 10th 04, 08:14 AM
John Tserkezis

Gazza wrote:

How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?
I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.

Is that all? I used to get them every week before I went kevlar. Though
I've found it depends mainly on the road. Some roads have more glass fragments
than others, so where you ride is a huge factor.

Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyres ?

Depending on how bad the situation is, they'll do anywhere from stop flats
outright, to greatly reduce the problem.

Another choice is using tyres with more rubber. They weigh lots more, but if
that's not important, go for it.

Other options are kevlar inserts (strips that fit between the inner tube and
tyre), thicker tubes, and I've been told that latex tubes are a little better
as they tend to stretch a little more before giving way and piercing.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old August 10th 04, 08:29 AM
HUMBUG

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:43:58 +1000, Gazza Wrote :
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

Depends. On a long tour I've worn through a rear tyre with no punctures.
On my daily commute I reckon 3 or 4 per 200km. More if it's wet. I score
three intersections that always have a sizeable car litter problem.

I seem to get one every few months ? and I get pis$#& off about it.

Should I get Kevlar tyres ? do they really stop you getting flat tyres ?

A bit but are they worth it - I dunno. Fixing punctures is cheap and quick
and besides. I like the old Conti TT2K...:-)

--

Humbug
Old August 10th 04, 08:30 AM
DaveB

hippy wrote:
Every few months could be good or bad depending on kays and what you
ride on. You could try tyre liners (Mr. Tuffy??)

hippy

Tyre liners, bah! I put an old tube in as tyre liners on my MTB tyres
and haven't had a puncture since. The bike weighs so much the extra
weight of tyres isn't a problem.

DaveB

Old August 10th 04, 01:22 PM
Evan

Gazza wrote:
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

Back in the 80's when I had a road bike it was about 1 a month commuting
around town. On the MTB my last puncture was 1997, coming down the
Western Tiers in Tassie all loaded up, that was heartstopping experience.
Old August 10th 04, 09:00 PM
flyingdutch

Evan Wrote:
Gazza wrote:
How often do you get a flat tire ( Roadie ) ?

Back in the 80's when I had a road bike it was about 1 a mont
commuting
around town. On the MTB my last puncture was 1997, coming down the
Western Tiers in Tassie all loaded up, that was heartstoppin
experience.

JINX! youre for it now

--
flyingdutch

Easy Coker Airfoil tire change john_childs Unicycling 27 June 21st 05 01:52 AM
Hydroplaning: the experiment. Michael Press Techniques 23 May 29th 05 02:11 AM
Flat Tire Worminton Unicycling 2 June 26th 04 11:01 PM
flat tire question The Causey Way Techniques 2 July 19th 03 05:41 PM