ladies mountain bikes

Old July 20th 03, 06:53 PM
Alastair

Default ladies mountain bikes

My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a
moutnain bike . I thought i'd get her one off ebay etc , do all girls
have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride small frame size
mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought
about it before?
Old July 20th 03, 07:38 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

"Alastair" My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a
moutnain bike . I thought i'd get her one off ebay etc , do all girls
have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride small frame size
mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought
about it before?

Are all girls exactly the same size? What size is your girlfriend?

Pat in TX

Old July 21st 03, 04:25 AM
henry

FWIW:

Ladies bikes also may not operate as well, overall, as those with men's
frames.

I remember the wrenches in our shop constantly complaining that the brakes
were very difficult to adjust and keep well adjusted and working properly
because of the way they had to be placed on the frame due to the
configuration of a woman's frame. They all said they'd never recommend a
ladies frame ...

om...

Old July 21st 03, 02:48 PM
JerZ Fox

Trek and Terry make diamond frame bikes that are specifically designed for
women.

Diana B., LPN
Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness.
Poverty doesn't buy anything.
Old July 21st 03, 04:33 PM
Craig Brossman

Chalo wrote:
I'll extend you the benefit of the doubt that your post is not just a
troll.

"Ladies" frames are considered generally inferior in strength and
stiffness to ordinary diamond frames. The only reasons to use one are
to allow more convenient wearing of a full skirt (which also requires
full chain and wheel guards), or to allow riding by people too
inflexible to mount a regular bike.

If neither of these apply to your GF, then she should ride a diamond
frame in an appropriate size for her.

Chalo Colina

I think one of you has "girls bike" confused with "womens specific". See
Trek, Santa Cruz, ... on why todays women specific bikes are not the
same as the old "girls" bikes.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Old July 21st 03, 05:01 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Craig Brossman writes:

I think one of you has "girls bike" confused with "womens specific". See
Trek, Santa Cruz, ... on why todays women specific bikes are not the
same as the old "girls" bikes.

Here's some of what Stephanie Oakes has to say on it,
from:

http://www.stephanieoakes.com/News/W...tness_equ.html

(sorry 'bout the line wrap)

quote

"To explore this issue further, I decided to check into other
sports equipment designers. Was mountain biking champion Missy
Giove's bike designed for a woman? I spoke to Susan DiBiase
professional cyclist and president of the Schwinn Toyota Mountain
biking team to inquire about the design of bikes. Susan explained,
men carry more weight in their upper bodies so they only need to
lean forward to keep the front tire on the ground during an assent.
This is more difficult for a woman because of our lower center
of gravity.

The same goes for snowboards, ladies. However, I was assured that
Missy's Mountain bike was specifically designed to meet her
competitive needs. I was also pleased to find out that my Diamondback
hybrid bike is designed for a women. Carrie, from SheGear, also
suggests, If you're in the market for a new bike and intend to really
put some miles on it, a Trek 6000 which has a specifically designed
women's bike frame is a good bet. If your like me and you don't ride
enough to invest in a new bike, take your bike to your local bike shop
to have it checked for proper fit and comfort. Many times just a small
adjustment in your seat, tire, or handles can make a difference in
your comfort."

end quote

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 21st 03, 05:48 PM
Fritz M

"Harpie" wrote:

Question to Chalo: who the heck rides a skirt on a bike these days?

My wife does.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33| to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
Old July 23rd 03, 01:18 AM
Chalo

"Harpie" wrote:

who the heck rides a skirt on a bike these days? That
went out in about 1920 :-)

I have known a few free-spirited hippie chix who preferred full skirts
at all times, but when cycling, they would just tuck their skirts up
and sit on them. I reckon it provided them a makeshift chamois of
sorts. Beats sticking to a vinyl seat, anyway. :-{

Seems like nuns, abaya-wearing Muslim women, etc., could still have a
use for the old style step-through frames with full guards.

Chalo Colina

18" Boy's and 22" Girl's Bikes? Paul C. Cox General 3 July 23rd 03 01:58 AM
Prego's and bikes sunkissed General 7 July 21st 03 01:28 AM
Rank Theses Bikes From Best to Worst Rich General 4 July 16th 03 09:35 PM
Van Tuyl Bikes? nobody General 1 July 15th 03 09:32 AM