Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

Old February 27th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_6_]

Default Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

It would help if the cyclists would obey the laws and stop running red
lights and stop driving on the left side of the road. Cyclists are always
showing up where they're not supposed to be and that's why drivers don't
see them.

Funny, that's what the drivers always say after they hit a
motorcyclist....."I didn't see him, officer!"

Hmmmmm

Old February 27th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

N8N wrote:

Why? If I hit another car because the driver did something illegal,
or hit a cyclist because he did something illegal, I still hit
something. I'm still inconvenienced, and I still have to deal with a
lot of BS. Since my observations are that 100% of cyclists flagrantly
violate the rules of the road, that seems like a real problem to me.

[...]

100% of cyclists blatantly ignore stop signs.

Where on earth do you live?

How much viewing time are we talking about with this
observation? How many bicyclists over what period of time?

Assuming the sample size of your observations are sufficiently
large, I would have to predict a significant number of the
700-800 American bicyclists that die each year must meet their
end in your town, with riding behavior as you claim (assuming
you are in the US)!

SMH
Old February 28th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Larry Farrell" wrote: Both of your 100%s are 100% BS.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably closeer to 95%.

Old February 28th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Larry Farrell

N8N wrote:
On Feb 27, 3:40 pm, Larry Farrell wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Feb 27, 3:25 pm, Larry Farrell wrote:
N8N wrote:
[snip]
Why? If I hit another car because the driver did something illegal,
or hit a cyclist because he did something illegal, I still hit
something. I'm still inconvenienced, and I still have to deal with a
lot of BS. Since my observations are that 100% of cyclists flagrantly
violate the rules of the road, that seems like a real problem to me.
[snip]
100% of cyclists blatantly ignore stop signs.
Both of your 100%s are 100% BS.
Feel free to ride with me someday and prove me wrong. You won't.
You'll be shocked at what you see. I stand by my statement. 100% of
cyclists that I encounter flagrantly violate the rules of the road.
Most common infraction is blowing through stop signs at speed. It
sounds incredible, but it is true - ALL cyclists that I encounter ride
like they want to be hit. There's a fair number of cyclists around
where I live, too - my commute to/from work takes me across a bike
trail, so there's a lot of cyclists that I assume are getting on/off
the bike trail and riding on the same roads on which I'm driving.
nate

Your original statements were that 100% of bicyclists were doing
illegal things, not that 100% of the bicyclists you observed were
doing so. Therefore, your original statements were blatantly wrong.
I stand by *my* statement.

So the ones I don't see are perfectly law-abiding? Somehow I doubt
that.

nate

No one said that. But you *did* say that 100% of bicyclists do
illegal things, and that is clearly false.

Old February 28th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Stephen Harding wrote:
N8N wrote:

Why? If I hit another car because the driver did something illegal,
or hit a cyclist because he did something illegal, I still hit
something. I'm still inconvenienced, and I still have to deal with a
lot of BS. Since my observations are that 100% of cyclists flagrantly
violate the rules of the road, that seems like a real problem to me.

[...]

100% of cyclists blatantly ignore stop signs.

Where on earth do you live?

Falls Church, VA

How much viewing time are we talking about with this
observation? How many bicyclists over what period of time?

I've lived here for over a year. I see anywhere from 1-5 cyclists every
morning, and often a few more in the evening.

Assuming the sample size of your observations are sufficiently
large, I would have to predict a significant number of the
700-800 American bicyclists that die each year must meet their
end in your town, with riding behavior as you claim (assuming
you are in the US)!

I'm honestly surprised that more don't.

Just this evening I was following a cyclist who was riding after dark,
wearing dark clothing, with no headlight. *I* could see him because he
did have a taillight, but oncoming traffic couldn't (and this was a very
narrow street where you'd often have to go onto the "wrong" side of the
road to get around parked cars.) Now the other cyclist that I saw was
wearing a reflective vest, so he gets props for that, but making a left
turn a little closer to oncoming traffic than I would have considered
prudent kinda negates that.

The only conclusion I can draw is that either a) cyclists are idiots or
b) the act of getting on a bicycle causes one to become an idiot.

Of course, it's not *just* cyclists - just that it seems that they are
more universally idiotic. Within the same two mile drive home from the
Metro station, I also saw a motorcycle cop pull a U-turn and immediately
make a left turn onto Leesburg Pike and I seriously thought he was going
to run straight into a pedestrian; I slowed in case I would end up
having to stop give a statement/help if I could.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 28th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

N8N wrote:

On Feb 27, 3:25 pm, Larry Farrell wrote:

N8N wrote:
[snip]

[...]

I said "my observations are 100%." That is a 100% true statement.

nate

Old February 28th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 27, 3:15 pm, N8N wrote:
On Feb 27, 2:56 pm, wrote:

Cyclists should use lights and reflectors at night. Those laws should
be respected.

Agreed.

But clothing that suits _your_ fancy is not a legal requirement, and
should not be.

Being visible is not "my fancy." If you have no lights, no
reflectors, and are wearing jeans and a dark shirt, I have no sympathy
for anything that might happen to you.

Slow down and think about it again, Nate. The jeans and dark shirt
should not be part of the equation. If it's night, a driver has a
right to expect cyclists to have lights, and possibly reflectors.
(That depends a bit on the jurisdiction.) But night or day, a
motorist has no right to complain about jeans and a dark shirt. They
are legal. It's up to you to watch for others on the road; how
they're dressed should not matter.

I wish police would enforce _all_ rules of the road, including against
motorists who speed through neighborhoods, roll stop signs, run red
lights, fail to yield to pedestrians, and all the rest. Yes, they
should ticket cyclists - but it's a far lower priority for good
reason.

Why? If I hit another car because the driver did something illegal,
or hit a cyclist because he did something illegal, I still hit
something. I'm still inconvenienced...

Sorry about that. But the world's been made too convenient for
motorists, to the detriment of everyone else. Besides, I doubt you
can cite five examples in the last five years where a motorist damaged
his precious car due to avoiding a cyclist's illegal move.

100% of cyclists blatantly ignore stop signs.

Wrong.

Regarding "serious hazards to themselves and others," feel free to
post documentation of the terrible carnage caused by bicyclists. We
know there are roughly 40,000 people killed by motorists each year in
America. How many are killed by bicyclists? Post the number, please.

Mostly cyclists kill themselves.

Mostly cyclists do just fine. Bike commuters live longer than car
commuters. Cycling confers benefits which far outweigh its tiny
risks. Cyclists kill essentially nobody. Perhaps one person per year
in the US is killed by a cyclist. (Data are almost impossible to
find, because the problem is too small to bother with.)

But my car will still be damaged.

:-) Well, obviously, that's what the entire universe revolves
around!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 28th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 27, 3:54 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
In article , wrote:

For example, regarding stop signs: I live across the street from
one. Fewer than half the drivers bother to stop. The majority roll
right through. The potential harm from a motorist doing that is
hundreds of times worse than that from a cyclist.

Is it one of those stop signs you had put up to slow people down? If so,
that's the reason people don't respect it.

Brent, you've apparently edited our previous discussions to meet your
preconceptions.

First, I've never, not once, been involved in putting in a stop sign
to slow people down. Neither has the bike-pedestrian committee I've
been a member of.

Second, the stop sign is at a T intersection, and visibility isn't
particularly good, due to shrubbery. It's a very normal and practical
place for a stop sign. No reasonable person would doubt its
appropriateness. (True, the local teeny-bopper would disagree, the
one with the daddy-bought car with the "aerodynamic" wing and fart-can
muffler, but those boys are pretty unreasonable.)

That said we've been over this before and you didn't believe it then and
I doubt you do now.

We've been over this before, but you've forgotten most of it.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 28th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:
On Feb 27, 3:15 pm, N8N wrote:

On Feb 27, 2:56 pm, wrote:

Cyclists should use lights and reflectors at night. Those laws should
be respected.

Agreed.

But clothing that suits _your_ fancy is not a legal requirement, and
should not be.

Being visible is not "my fancy." If you have no lights, no
reflectors, and are wearing jeans and a dark shirt, I have no sympathy
for anything that might happen to you.

Slow down and think about it again, Nate. The jeans and dark shirt
should not be part of the equation. If it's night, a driver has a
right to expect cyclists to have lights, and possibly reflectors.
(That depends a bit on the jurisdiction.) But night or day, a
motorist has no right to complain about jeans and a dark shirt. They
are legal. It's up to you to watch for others on the road; how
they're dressed should not matter.

It does if they have neither lights nor reflectors. If I can't
reasonably be expected to see them while I'm standing still, I'm
certainly not going to see them from my car either. I'm sick of the
attitude that the cyclist is always right and the motorist is always
wrong. I knew at a very young age if I were going to be walking along a
street at night that I should be wearing something that would be easily
visible to motorists, or else carrying a light. I don't see how any
cyclist could say with a straight face that he's somehow exempt from
this same common-sense rule.

I wish police would enforce _all_ rules of the road, including against
motorists who speed through neighborhoods, roll stop signs, run red
lights, fail to yield to pedestrians, and all the rest. Yes, they
should ticket cyclists - but it's a far lower priority for good
reason.

Why? If I hit another car because the driver did something illegal,
or hit a cyclist because he did something illegal, I still hit
something. I'm still inconvenienced...

Sorry about that. But the world's been made too convenient for
motorists, to the detriment of everyone else. Besides, I doubt you
can cite five examples in the last five years where a motorist damaged
his precious car due to avoiding a cyclist's illegal move.

Hell, I've probably *SEEN* five bent up bikes laying in the middle of
the road, with cops, ambulances, etc. in that time period. Most
recently just a couple months ago on Dolley Madison, a busy multi-lane
road, at the intersection with Anderson Road and the I-66 ramp. Which
is just stupidity to begin with; you'd have to have balls of brass to
ride a bike on Dolley Madison, especially when there's a much more
suitable parallel road less than half a mile away.

100% of cyclists blatantly ignore stop signs.

Wrong.

Come ride with me someday. You'll see I'm right.

Regarding "serious hazards to themselves and others," feel free to
post documentation of the terrible carnage caused by bicyclists. We
know there are roughly 40,000 people killed by motorists each year in
America. How many are killed by bicyclists? Post the number, please.

Mostly cyclists kill themselves.

Mostly cyclists do just fine. Bike commuters live longer than car
commuters. Cycling confers benefits which far outweigh its tiny
risks. Cyclists kill essentially nobody. Perhaps one person per year
in the US is killed by a cyclist. (Data are almost impossible to
find, because the problem is too small to bother with.)

But my car will still be damaged.

:-) Well, obviously, that's what the entire universe revolves
around!

It does to me. If you're going to be a stupid asshole, fine, but don't
be surprised or offended when people call you a stupid asshole. And if
you cause damage to me or my property due to your own carelessness and
disregard for the law, I don't give a **** if you're on life support, I
still will have no sympathy for you and will sue for the damages you
rightfully owe me (not aimed directly at you, but at the dip****
cyclists I share the road with.)

nate

Old February 28th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

Default !n Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

On Feb 27, 4:25 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Frank... the bad
drivers you hold responsible--and they are certainly out there--are not
affected appreciably by what you say here.

I agree that my words won't cause miracles. But discussion is one of
the ways that changes are prompted in society. And the privileged
attitudes of typical motorists certainly needs to be changed.

- Frank Krygowski

DANGER and Intelligent Unicyclists ivan Unicycling 14 November 11th 07 11:23 PM
What - Intelligent Thought? Joe Cipale Racing 291 February 28th 07 05:16 AM
What - Intelligent Thought? ST Racing 0 February 20th 07 01:28 AM
Intelligent comment Mikefule Unicycling 25 July 21st 05 03:05 AM
more intelligent computers Miles General 7 December 8th 04 01:52 AM